Disabling TRAC, VSC and ABS on 2001 4runner - my write up

ramonortiz55

Adventurer
A few weeks ago I was out wheeling with a few friends and I came to realize that I need to do something about disabling traction control, Anti lock break system, and Vehicle stability control.

These items where added to the late 3rd generation 4runners, I believe 2000, 2001, and 2002.

Having these kick in while offroading was annoying as hell!

I figured I needed to do something about it, and do it now!

After doing a little research, I found out exactly what I needed to do and decided to do my own write up on it:

For this modification I used about 8 feet of 16 gauge wire and toyota fog light switch part number:

The switch looks like this:

Prongs in the back:

I cut the 8 foot wire into two four foot sections and fed it thru the firewall grommet located in a spot below the master cylinder:

I used a thicker gauge black wire to help me fish the red wiring thru:

I then located the master cylinder and unplugged the wiring shown below:

Within the wiring on that specific harness, is a 18 gauge red wire, I cut this wire and "extended" both ends using the wiring I fished thru the grommet.

Shrink wrapped for waterproofing:

Then taped for even more waterproofing:

On the other end, inside the cabin, I connected some spade connectors:

Fished the end thru a blank on my dash:

Plugged the spade connectors:

Placed my switch in the stock location:

Now to test the mod!

I turned the truck on, and flipped the switch:

Indicator lights tell me that TRAC, VSC, and ABS have been disabled!

To enable TRAC, VSC, and ABS, you will need to flip the switch to the "off" position and restart the truck.

The TRAC, VSC, and ABS will NOT reset while the truck is on. You must restart the vehicle.

I am perfectly fine with that.

ramonortiz55

Adventurer
I tried spacing my pictures a bit more but the website keeps spacing them together. Hopefully that is easy to read.

p nut

butter
There are different variations of this. One keeps the ABS enabled, which I found to be helpful.

There were also some efforts to made the toggle switch fully functional (meaning no restart to re-enable TRAC/VSC), but not sure if that was successful or not. Look up "Andy Mod."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears