Disc brake conversion for FJ40

bigstar

I know know….. this is exhausted. I have been looking for a setup to make my ‘72 FJ40 disc without going the route of taking parts from older trucks. Is there a way to do this? A kit or reliable bracket kit out there? I see options but wanted to know if any of you guys installed them and what you experience was? Thanks

lugueto

Adventurer
I personally installed the JT Outfitters kit, which is custom, includes everything you need (brackets, lines, rotors, calipers, brackets and hardware) and I think it works just fine.

I believe the calipers are Chevy of some kind, pads are easy to get (they're also included). Stopping power is not overly powerful, but it is more than enough. Its a light car travelling at slow speeds so no problem there. Braking is undoubtedly much, much better than the drum brakes.

Helicaptim

Lots of articles on I8mud on the conversion. I did my 1967 FJ40 with parts that I got from Mud member Poser, check him out. He's very knowledgeable and helpful.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It might not be reassuring to search I8MUD about JT Outfitters.

The caliper they use are single piston originally found on 80s Monte Carlos.

When you look at Mud it often degrades into complaints about the company.

But the kit supposedly works alright. My argument is someone invariably says "You don't hear people complain about the kit." To which I might only counter that if your front brakes don't work you're probably not going to be around to complain on the Internet about it.

JTO has a disclaimer that the kit is only for off-road use, which is of course necessary in the world of lawyers. At least if you take the time to swap an axle or convert to FJ60 or mini truck stuff Toyota originally designed and tested it for highway use.

lugueto

Adventurer
I did see those threads but I have not dealt with the company aside from the actual purchase, which was ok. The kit went on without a hitch. The 40 is used on the street and highways, although I rarely go over 50mph. It was definitely an improvement, I can't compare it to the 60 brakes as I have no experience but for the price and simplicity of install, worth it IMO.

One benefit of using the front disc brake set-up from a 1980 - 89 60/70 Series is these parts (rotors, pads, calipers, etc.) are still easily available. When using a custom aftermarket disc brake kit in the future when needing replacement parts you will have no idea what to source.

I would suggest contacting Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Outfitters for quotes on 60 Series front disc brake kits for your FJ40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online