Disco 1 Hear Gasket?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
There have been allot of questions about Disco head gasket floating around on a couple of boards, most about D-II's. This has however gotten me thinking about the Gasket on the Heads of my 1999 D-1 with 117,000 miles. So are the head gaskets as known to going out on the D-1 or it that more of a new Disco problem. Also what should one look for when checking the Head gaskets? MY rover leaks oil but if it didn't I would think it was out of Oil!

Thanks

Nate

PS Happy/ Marry Christmas!

RonL

Adventurer
I have heard all the same stuff. All I know is that I have two Discovery Series1, 1997 with 143,000(mine) and a 1999 with 125,000 miles(hers). Both have never had a Head Gasket done.

muskyman

Explorer
The head gaskets in most cases should go 125000-150000. If you run around with really outa balence tires or driveline angles they will shake themselves to death and need them earlier. I have seem a few where the head bolts were finger loose in the block...no wonder the gaskets failed.

Another big issue is people not flushing the coolant and the results can all cause a failure of the head gaskets. The first way is the radiators plug up and the engine are almost overheated repeatedly. The second way is the coolant becomes very caustic and eats right through the gasket at the cooling passage at the end of the heads.

The last issue is one I have seen a number of is where the compression ring in the gasket just burns right through. This seems to be from carbon buildup that causes hot spots and melts the ring.

In the end head gasket jobs are pretty easy on these trucks and should not be delayed if needed as the damage that will result if you delay is alot more expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman