Disco 1 vs Disco 3 (LR3)

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
You’re the first person I’ve come across who has a higher mileage than me. Hitting 300K in about 26K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be the second person then as my LR3 is currently at 280 000. I may hit around 290 000 if my March read trip materializes, if to it it will definitely in June. Happy Roving!

tacocat

Watch the rear floor under the carpet and pad on the D1, that can be a bad area for rust and unless you look, you have no idea it’s happening. I’ve owned a couple D1’s - the 97 5 speed was awesome and is being cared for by a close friend now. That drivetrain is an excellent set up as the 5 speed really makes the most use of those 180 ponies. A bonus was that I could hear the induction through my snorkel as I worked up through the gears. Getting ready to pick up a fully kitted , low mileage LR3 this weekend that will be my new DD and escape pod. The D2 needs some freshening and I know the D3 well, looking forward to the refinement of the D3 while tackling Atlanta traffic.

It wouldn’t happen to be gray/black and in Texas would it?

The D1 5-speed sounds like a fun.

Wander

Expedition Leader
It is grey /black but not inTexas. The 5 speed really let you use the power band of the mighty 215 to its fullest. i did have to adjust when on trails as the approach was often quicker than anyone with an auto.

bri

Adventurer
@tacocat

Have not followed the entire thread. If you wheel tougher trails, get a D1. Otherwise forget the LR3 and go LR4.

If you work on the vehicle yourself and D1 can be cheap. Don't start with a cheap one though. Start with a solid base, good body, bones and interior.

Also if you wheel, forget a manual trans. Never seen anyone with a manual trans manage anything tough gracefully, although they bragged otherwise. Definitely more interesting on road.

I want an LR4, but if I get one it will replace the P38, not my D1. LR3 is right out. Some really sweet D1 are starting to go for 20k on BAT.

tacocat

@bri

Graceful? Absolutely not. It’s all about the herky-jerky going uphill. I do love me some manual on technical downhills. Hopefully you don’t have to stop often.

My DD is a V8 manual. The idea of a manual Disco is because it’s rare, cool, and nostalgic. Plus I can rebuild manual transmissions. Getting them onto the bench is the worst part.

bri

Adventurer
@bri

Graceful? Absolutely not. It’s all about the herky-jerky going uphill. I do love me some manual on technical downhills. Hopefully you don’t have to stop often.

My DD is a V8 manual. The idea of a manual Disco is because it’s rare, cool, and nostalgic. Plus I can rebuild manual transmissions. Getting them onto the bench is the worst part.

I double foot my brake, throttle and auto trans and make it look easy compared to anyone that I have wheeled with. There is no beating the simplicity of applying a lot of throttle and then feathering the brake. Seen guys that can *almost* 3 foot a manual, but still just does not work that well. A lost clutch or transmission is the same to me, I will be calling SPOT and Allstate for either.

Downhill is even more scarey, one mistake while shifting and you could be shift out of luck. ;-)

hillstrubl

Observer
Disco 1 has got arguably the most sophisticated and well designed transfer case ever. It was amazing how well the AWD system of Disco I worked due to the mechanically perfect TC.
You could lock the central diff, or go to the low gear, or do both.
On the Bridgestone Blizzaks my Disco 1 was unstoppable in snow and ice. I used to beat Subarus.

Having said this , are you really gonna finds parts for Disco 1 now?

Yes, it was designed and first used in 1984 in a 90/110/127 and was used until 2016 in the defender. That's the beauty of the Disco 1, its mechanicals have multiple crossover parts with other land rovers.

Regarding parts availability, there are very few things that are either (actually) NLA and/or not available used via breakers/scrap yards (except stateside stick-shift specific parts, that's getting rare-rare).
With the usual parts houses, you can use a D1 for many many years, you shouldn't have parts worry.

Having said that, I have had a few defenders, a D1, D2 and a D3 (LR3). They are very different vehicles and depending on your tolerance for leaks, quirkiness and old vehicle simplicity, I completely understand the argument to be pro-D3. I sold mine a few months ago and while I don't regret it (I never drive anymore during Covid and I got a 110 a year ago), it was the most reliable land rover I've ever owned. I'm happy to answer any questions between the 2 vehicles, just DM me. The ability to swallow a plethora of stuff and never worry about being stuck (while having adequate fuel economy) is very unique to a D3.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
hillstrubl

Yes, it was designed and first used in 1984 in a 90/110/127 and was used until 2016 in the defender. That's the beauty of the Disco 1, its mechanicals have multiple crossover parts with other land rovers.

The Rang Rover Classic had the same TC up until 1992 if I am not mistaken.
Truly a great piece of engineering.
I wonder what the Ineos Grenadier uses for the TC? They also have gone with a fulltime AWD like the old Defender / Disco 1-2/ RRC

85_Ranger4x4

The most of the real technical stuff on the engine can be found on most of the popular Ford forums. Most everything else is easy enough to figure out. One plus side is changing spark plugs is cake on the V6, a full set of plugs for the V6 is the same price as one plug for the VThey also mounted the alternator up high on the engine like they traditionally are instead of down at the bottom like on the Jag V8’s. It’s also a cast iron block but it does have aluminum heads. So if you overheat it you’ll probably jack the heads up but the block will probably be fine, thankfully heads aren’t that expensive.

The two biggest down sides to the engine are the timing chain configuration it has one chain at the front and one at the back, so if you have to change them or the passenger side head gasket you have to pull the engine. One positive to that is the tools and parts are cheap and frankly doing timing chains on either of the Jag V8’s while in the vehicle are just as much work. The other downside is the fact the engine isn’t a V8, It doesn’t have as much power and it doesn’t sound as good.

I however have enjoyed mine as have most people that own them.

Timing chain thing is an issue on the ol' SOHC 4.0. It was supposedly fixed in Fordland around 2003ish, no idea if that lines with Roverland or not. Pretty resilient otherwise, really too bad the D2 didn't get it instead of the aluminum V8 that makes about the same power.

Mom had one in her '02 Explorer, for what it was it got around pretty good. Not a drag racer or a tow pig but the car wasn't either anyway.

Personally... I would love to sneak up on a clean D2 with a blown motor and poke a domestic V8 in it, probably have to learn a new language and go 4.8/5.3. Fairly new, awesome looking body, solid axles, 4 doors... it is hard to find bones like that to build off of with anything else.

Carson G

Timing chain thing is an issue on the ol' SOHC 4.0. It was supposedly fixed in Fordland around 2003ish, no idea if that lines with Roverland or not. Pretty resilient otherwise, really too bad the D2 didn't get it instead of the aluminum V8 that makes about the same power.

Mom had one in her '02 Explorer, for what it was it got around pretty good. Not a drag racer or a tow pig but the car wasn't either anyway.

Personally... I would love to sneak up on a clean D2 with a blown motor and poke a domestic V8 in it, probably have to learn a new language and go 4.8/5.3. Fairly new, awesome looking body, solid axles, 4 doors... it is hard to find bones like that to build off of with anything else.
Yeah LR didn’t start using them in the US till 05’. Change the external tensioners every 70k and you’re usually good to go. The LR version makes a bit more power as well.

hillstrubl

Observer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger