Disco 2 skinny 16" wheels - calling all wheel guru's

ds.willy

That's perfect except the camaro uses M12 vs M14 for a stud size. I'm guessing that the M14 stud will not fit or allow for the lugnut to seat correctly.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
May be worth picking one up and seeing if it can be made to work. Reaming and chamfering the lug holes may be out of your comfort zone but I doubt it's outside the realm of possibility.

ds.willy

I got one of the Honda wheels in to check out. Really looks just like all of the basic steelies. A local machinist thinks he could enlarge the center bore.

Howski

I’d consider checking the weight rating of any wheel you buy, especially one off of a much lighter Honda..

ds.willy

Moving along with the Honda Odyssey wheel experiment, so far so good. With some questions maybe other 235/85-16 tire people might have answers too. As for the wheels, I bought one, machined out the centerbore to 70.1mm and mounted one tire. Fit seems to be pretty good. No rubbing. The Honda wheel is at 50mm vs. 57mm stock for offset so outboard 7mm, not much. Keep in mind the truck thus far is stock height with tired springs at 175k. I have searched and read every 235/85 Disco thread I can find and there are plenty. Its supposed to be a decent tall and skinny size for the truck. Some even say at stock height although I have my doubts. I plan to lift it either 2-3" so that's not a problem. My question is on tire weight. These tires are heavy, like 18lbs per wheel/tire corner heavier than stock. How has that affected the driveability or does it? Plenty of info on the size difference and that's understandable, but weight? My other question is if anyone knows the stock scrub radius for a D2. I have looked everywhere and cannot find anything. According to online calculators this combo will move the SR to the negative about 1/8" but I don't know the stock spec to start from.
First photo (rear) is with the body jacked up about 2" to simulate a lift

62767099487__3D3BAA78-CC29-45B4-B3F2-70F366E61979.jpg62767112588__56102026-6E1D-4A23-856F-B49B1933EC1B.jpg62766711070__044F0630-B2BC-4CB1-ADF6-A13C2689B6DA.jpg62766701663__E2FD4287-155D-40B4-AC6B-1BD529D84530.jpg

ds.willy

Finally got the time slot to get the lift on and wheels sorted. This is the TF medium duty 2" lift from Lucky 8. Wanting the taller skinny look I stuck with my plan for 235/85/16. I always liked the Camel Trophy profile and this gets it close. Wheels are the aftermarket steelies for a Honda Odyssey minivan in 16x7 ET50 vs ET57. I had the center bore machined out form 64.1 to 73.1 and added a 70.1 to 73.1 spacer. My stock springs and shocks were likely original at 175k and shot. Gain from hub center to fender is 2.25". From ground between 3-4" total. I meant to measure before to get an accurate number but got in to it before doing so. Tires are 31.7".
Initial impressions are -

Ride - Better over all. My stock springs and shocks were worn out so the ride was jittery and harsh due to that. Now it is smooth but firm. 10ply tires add to the firm part for sure. I have them at 40psi. Will play around with pressure as I go. Ride is quieter overall but tires due start to hum at about 30mph. Expected as they are mud tires. Stock spare carrier is flipped and clears the bumper by .5". Worked well.

Handling - The narrower tire has improved steering response. You can tell there is less drag or scrub at the pavement level over the stock 18". Or it seems that way. With the taller stance you can feel the height in quick steering inputs. I wouldn't want to try and quickly dodge a deer at 70mph. But that move would be dangerous in most 4x4's and some cars. I also have a BMW X5 with M sport which ruins any chance this truck would feel "responsive" in the handling dept.

Power - There is a bit of power drop with the larger and heavier wheel/tire combo but not as bad as I thought. Mostly felt at take-off from a stop. Once to speed it rolls fine and feels close to normal. These wheels and tires weigh about 12 lbs ea. over the stock setup I had.

IMG_1206.jpgIMG_1209.jpgIMG_1208.jpg

Call up Rovers North and get a set of OEM heavy duty coils and oem shocks. I installed them on a friend's Disco and they rode great. Around 1 inch of lift, maybe more if your coils are shot.

Dogpilot

You may try Rover's North. They where importing steel rims for LR for a long time. One of the items on Land Rover rims in general, they are hub centric, vice lug centric. So the fit on the raised lip on the hub is fairly critical for good results. So you really want to get some NATO steel rims that are made for the LR, not just some anymake that simply match the lug pattern.

ds.willy

Call up Rovers North and get a set of OEM heavy duty coils and oem shocks. I installed them on a friend's Disco and they rode great. Around 1 inch of lift, maybe more if your coils are shot.

Thanks for the tip but this suspension and lift is new. No problems
You may try Rover's North. They where importing steel rims for LR for a long time. One of the items on Land Rover rims in general, they are hub centric, vice lug centric. So the fit on the raised lip on the hub is fairly critical for good results. So you really want to get some NATO steel rims that are made for the LR, not just some anymake that simply match the lug pattern.

All good, I used centering rings for the hub. Ride fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998