Disco 5 diesel rear shocks swap .

HUMMER/Expeditions

Little interesting information for you guys.
On our awesome discovery 5, rear shocks totally gave up.
Land Rover wants 1500 for them.

I thought to myself, this can’t be made of gold or made by god, let me see what other part fits in its place.

Land Rover dealer ( disgusting ) would not give any details about those shocks,

So we took one off, measured it and started the search.

Apparently they are made by bilstIn shocks, when we called them they said those shocks are made for street use they are light duty shocks ( F U Land Rover this supposed to be a real 4x4 )

They didn’t have anything that size that was more durable,
So we called rough country shocks company, they directed us to one of there shocks, they are off of Dodge ram 2500 diesel, with just 2 min modifications on Land Rover upper bracket, those shocks fit perfect and function amazingly good.

Once again shame on Land Rover brand for their scam, 1500 for light duty shocks when heavy duty shock costs 120 a pair.
makes you wonder why they go bankrupt every few years.

XJLI

Adventurer
You put white shock on a D5? I would have at least given Fox a call. I didn’t realize the air springs and shocks are separate on these like the RR.

HUMMER/Expeditions

I got there aluminum units that’s off-road shock,
Replacement is actually 15 min job, if it goes bad it’s easy to put different one back

It’s definitely much beefier than the original shock

DCH109

Adventurer
You should post the part number of the rough country shocks and pictures so others can purchase them.
FYI, Rock auto has the OE style them for $180. Looks like you need to reuse the boot and the 3 point mount. But they supply a zip tie.
Part Number BILSTEIN B4 24292580

HUMMER/Expeditions

Yes the top mount and boot get reused,
Top mount need to be drilled larger in the middle part to accommodate thicker more heavy duty shock.

original shock as a travel of 2.7 inches, yes only 2.7 inches
It’s unbelievable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior