Disco I/RRC/Defender coolant expansion tank

NW40

Explorer
I'm looking at swapping out my black coolant expansion tank in my Disco 1 before it splits and leaks. I've heard a lot of talk about a superior clear tank, so did some web searching and came across 2 options with Part # PCF101590, which fits DI/RRC/Defender:

1) the genuine Land Rover replacement (~$90), which appears to be an opaque beige color.
2) aftermarket replacements (~$35), which appear to be truly transparent plastic, although don't look as beefy as the genuine part. Aftermarkets manufactured by AllMakes, BritPart, & BearMach.

So which tank to go with? Not sure if the genuine part is sufficiently transparent to see the coolant level, but I don't want the aftermarket tank if it's poor quality and could fail.

Many thanks!

Photos of genuine Land Rover tank:
Land_Range_Rover_Classic_Discovery_Defender_Coolant_Reservior_Expansion_Tank_PCF101590.jpg
Land_Range_Rover_Classic_Discovery_Defender_Coolant_Reservior_Expansion_Tank_PCF101590_B.jpg

Photos of aftermarket tank:
PCF101590A.jpg
PCF101590A2.jpg

(Photos above courtesy of BPUtah.com)

I replaced my o.e. black one years ago (in the parking lot at the Leadville LRNR) with the opaque / tan LR part...haven't given it a thought since.

Nope, you can't easily see the coolant level in the opaque tank...couldn't much see it in the black one either for that matter.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
I would go for the genuine one. You can't see the level from the outside but when you open the cap there's a sort of cross-shaped pillar that indicates coolant level.

FYI, when I ordered mine, it came without the cap.

Blueboy

Adventurer
I'm looking at swapping out my black coolant expansion tank in my Disco 1

Don't know the year of your D1, yet, lets assume the last year of production 1998. The OEM tank has lasted at least 16 years.

Would suggest buying another OEM tank unless you plan on selling in the next few years and even then I'd still go OEM.

Red90

Adventurer
Get he earlier steel one. They use a regular radiator cap. Easier for field maintenance and pressure testing.

RonL

Adventurer
Have one of each, "see thru" on Wife's and tan on mine. I like the "see thru" better, I can see what the water level is when "hot".

newhue

Adventurer
How land rover, replace the black with opaque, still useless lol.

I'd go the clear one, it doesn't look as beefy but what are you doing with it as well. It just sits there holding fluid. It could also be just because it's clear it down't look as sturdy. Anyway, better to keep in the vibe of it all, just another thing to monitor under the bonnet to see if it need replacing, how land rover. :)

Ps just for general knowledge, my 2010 Defender has the round opaque model, one still needs a torch behind it to see what's going on.

crown14

Have one of each, "see thru" on Wife's and tan on mine. I like the "see thru" better, I can see what the water level is when "hot".
Thats fine and all, but the level is set while idling, warmed up, with the cap off so seeing the level from outside is not really something I have ever found necessary.

New (updated) ones are made these days in opaque, clear and black. The black are a little harder to find but correct for high level restorations. The clear ones look like cheap **** but work just fine, as do the opaque ones that have been around for years. The reason they started making them opaque was so you could easily tell that an updated tank had been installed.

I'm replacing my opaque one with a black one.

We sell the opaque one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Land-Ro...-Classic-Coolant-Expansion-Tank-/251655509042

As far as the warranty goes, buy one from me I'll warranty it for 5 years.

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer
When i first got my truck I replaced the black tank with a eurospares branded version which is the same as the opaque genuine you have shown at the top of the first page. No problems and was only like 25 bucks from my local parts house IIRC..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998