Disco I shocks

High Center

Adventurer
Does anyone have an alternative to Bilstein shocks (for a 96 Disco)? I realize that all sorts of companies make shocks that fit but I'm looking for a good cost/performance comparison.
Thanks,
DB

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
What do you not like about Bilstein's? I'm a Bilstein fan in general, have them on my car, but I have OME's on my truck and am quite pleased with the ride.

lake_bueller

Observer
I have Bilsteins on my DI and OME on my DII. To be honest, I can't give you a fair comparision. The DI has stiffer springs and carries more weight due to all the added equipment. But the Bilsteins are adequete. The ride in my DII with an OME 2" lift (shocks and springs) is as nice as a stock DII.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either shock. Find the best price and enjoy.

sven

Adventurer
X2 on the Bilstein shock/OME spring combo. I had this setup on my old D1 and it was very nice. Plus, I bought these all used, so I got good stuff cheap.

High Center

Adventurer
I don't have anything againt the Bilstein's at all. I am just trying to get a feel for the market. Bilsteins are either: 1.The most commonly mentioned or 2. The class of the field. I don't want to spend more than I should just to buy window sticker equipment when other (less expensive) gear might work just as well.

The truck is used as a D/D and light offroad (for now). Eventually I will make it a long haul family exp rig.

Thanks
DB

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
IMO, Bilstein is the class of the field. Maybe not in every application, or at any price... ie: "the best" shocks cost about $20,000 each. But Bilstein generally make good quality, good performing shocks, for maybe twice the price of garbage shocks which isn't unreasonable. It's not hype, they're good stuff.

I was nervous buying the OME's, because I didn't know much about them and a friend who was an OEM shock engineer had never heard of them. But I was pleasantly surprised. I find they actually ride a lot like Bilsteins tend to ride. Really good primary motion control, yet without excessive harshness over bumps. Basically the opposite of Pontiac suspension tuning. :)

High Center

Adventurer
Rob,
This is just the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks for chiming in. Are the OME's similarly priced (to the Bilsteins)?

BTW: $20k shocks...I'm guessing Aviation or maybe F1?

Thanks,
Duane

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm talking about suspensions actually related to street legal vehicles.

http://www.reigersuspension.com/

I should point out, that some people would probably say the Bilsteins or the OME's are not good shocks, because they can break. Anything can break, even the best. For 99% of people here, both options seem to be fine.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Old Man Emu has been the dominant supplier of suspension for Land Rover for a very, very long time. They're an Australian company that was bought out by ARB. You can not go wrong with OME. They make a good variety of spring rates for your application, and the shocks are double-wall steel construction, nitrogen charged beasties that will stand up to a lot of abuse. If speed is a factor, check out OME's LTR shocks. They've got you covered.

Bilstein also make a great number of high quality shocks. The factory-spec replacement jobbies are high quality and valved well to a light-to-medium use trail rig that sees a lot of pavement. They will not soak up 50 miles of desert road at medium speeds carrying a load like an OME shock can. It's just beyond the design specs for that shock. To compete with an OME shock with loads and heavy use, you need to look to the 5100 series chocks from Bilstein. The problem is, getting the valving right for your specific truck can take some experimentation, and you'll have to convert the mounts from posts to eyes on your shock mounts using adapters, which requires a careful study of shock length and the final length eye-to-eye after conversion. After the 5100's, the 7100 series are a racing shock and fully rebuildable and have support for total custom valving. Unfortunately, they are HEIM jointed shocks and, in my opinion, constitute a poor choice for an overlanding rig, due strictly to the service life of HEIM joints compared to regular rubber bushings.

Ymmv.

cheers
-ike

KMW

I've had Bilsteins break in moderate off-road usage; haven't had the same problem from OMEs. Just one data point...

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
I pulled the top eye of a set of KONI dampers, if you try hard enough you can break anything,
I am going with glyn lewis pin top mounts on the bobtail rebuild.
far more flex than eye bushes.

KMW

The thing that surprised me with my Bilsteins is that I wasn't trying hard. I'm not a rock crawler; most of my off road use is limited to forest access trails and farm type work. The only other "trying to hard" failure I've experienced with Rovers is U-joint failure on an '87 Rangie Classic, and those are just plain frail. I had two rear Bilsteins fail at the same point, where the chromed rod threads in to the upper eye. Admittedly these were high mileage units, my trucks get driven a lot.

I've still got 'em, and will post pictures if anyone is interested. One of them let go when driving over a speed bump. Right rear shock failure on a Coiler can be a bit scary -- this failure mode ended up with the shock rod banging around close to the solid fuel lines...

WoldD90

Adventurer
You will find a variety of opinions... I have a set of adjustable Rancho's on my ST, that have been there for 8 years. They have been great, although the great LR opinions are that they suck. I use my ST on the hard trails and rocks and have had no issues. I frequently use the in-cab adjustability for different types of terrain. I will replace them with the newer version of the rancho's when they need to be replaced.

I had Procomps on my SW when I first got it and they were fine for road use. I put Bilsteins on it and did not notice a huge difference, but it is mainly a road and camping truck.

I had Bilsteins on my P38 RR and was very happy with them. And, I still have the factory shocks on my MKIII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears