disco lift advice

nightkast_boy

Hi all I'm new to the forums and have a epsom green 98 disco. I'm 17 and it was handed down to me and as of now the disco has a RTE 2" lift along with with fox shocks and a lightbar with procomp lights. I have some 245/75-16 ATs on it as of now. I want to fit 33s and I found a really good deal on some 2" spacers. Has anyone had any experiance with a 2" spring lift along with a 2" spacer lift? if so what problems did you run into..driveline etc? I'm debating if I should just get a 2" body lift to avoid the driveline issues that I might have with the 2" spacers...what are your views/opinions on this?
Also I've been reading that with 33's I'll need to regear and get stronger axles...is it drivable with out regearing and axles? or is it really necessary to upgrade those components before I put some 33s on?
thanks!

stolenheron

Explorer
Hi all I'm new to the forums and have a epsom green 98 disco. I'm 17 and it was handed down to me and as of now the disco has a RTE 2" lift along with with fox shocks and a lightbar with procomp lights. I have some 245/75-16 ATs on it as of now. I want to fit 33s and I found a really good deal on some 2" spacers. Has anyone had any experiance with a 2" spring lift along with a 2" spacer lift? if so what problems did you run into..driveline etc? I'm debating if I should just get a 2" body lift to avoid the driveline issues that I might have with the 2" spacers...what are your views/opinions on this?
Also I've been reading that with 33's I'll need to regear and get stronger axles...is it drivable with out regearing and axles? or is it really necessary to upgrade those components before I put some 33s on?
thanks!

there are multiple members on here that run 33's with a 2" RTE lift. you have no reason for a body lift or 2inch spacers. you would need to get longer shocks, extended brake lines, and abs lines. you might as well get a RTE 4.5" lift at that point.

i have 33"s (basically), you do not need to regear or upgrade. it is drivable. do not go any bigger than 33s without upgrading diffs and axles, you will pop those things real quick when those spinning tires stop on contact with the ground using an open diff.

regearing and upgrades never hurt though.

justaddmtns

Observer
You have a very nice set-up as is. Moving to 3" or greater on a DI will start you on a journey of modifications that you may not need.

The first question is:

What are you going to use your truck for?

Most of us here have been seventeen....no this isn't Joni Mitchell typing...and as difficult as it sounds just drive the thing.

When you wear out the 245/75's try a set of 235/85's and you'll be amazed where you can go.

Oh, and even with the 245/75's you can manage to break an axle or a CV....and not to be a smarty pants, but you do know that if you loose drive to any of the wheels, you'll need to lock the center diff to go anywhere, right?

Drive it, have fun, find out what you can do while keeping those modification $$ in your pocket for gas!

:sombrero:

jhawk

Adventurer
I'm with Monkeyboy on this.

I'm running a 2in SuperGaz lift and 235/85's with a little trimming. The extra 1/2 or so inch clearance you'll get from the 33's will cause you more trouble than it's worth due to the extra width.

I use my truck pretty hard and I've never been in a situation where I was hung up and 33's would have made a difference.

Jim

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
Some one here with a d1 jump in here, but I am pretty sure that the wheel wells on a d1 are smaller than on a d2. It is relatively easy to put 33's on a d2, but I believe that they cause rubbing issues on a d1 without some fender trimming.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
drive it- the cost to go 33s for negligable gain isn't worth it. If you want to spend money, do 235/85s and lock it and amaze folks where the thing will go... I would love to have all the $$ back modifying trucks for no real gain over the years- and you will learn to drive much better with 2"/235s/open... which will serve you the rest of your life, and not rely on lift and big tires. Not trying to lecture at all, but the $$ you save will pay for lots of adventures and will yield much better memories. Now go and enjoy:)

mick968

Observer
33"s

Some one here with a d1 jump in here, but I am pretty sure that the wheel wells on a d1 are smaller than on a d2. It is relatively easy to put 33's on a d2, but I believe that they cause rubbing issues on a d1 without some fender trimming.

Running 285/75/16's on D1 with 2 1/2 lift and trimming(added D2 flares to cover the cut).Added HD axles front and rear(ARB lockers as well).Still some minor rub under extreme articulation(think it's because the wheel off set of 4.25 backspace).Love the off road performance(not a daily driver just a toy).Like someone said,anything over 33 and you are headed into major mod land.Good luck.

Tried to upload photo but for whatever reason they always fail on this site.Must be my error but...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger