Disco SD pre-purchase checklist?

haven

Expedition Leader
I have a lead on a 1996 Disco SD (thanks, Zooropa!).
Here are the details http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=377997

I have no experience with Land Rovers, and I'd appreciate hearing
some advice about what to look for during a pre-purchase inspection.
(Yes, I have read the post that says to have $4000 in the bank for repairs!)
Help me avoid the common problem areas for this model.

Many thanks!
Chip Haven

Green96D1

Explorer
I live in the Hayward, Fremont area

I know where that Discovery is!

things to look for in a land rover

check for leaks:coffeedrink:
and ask for records I repeat "RECORDS"

:victory:

I have a 96 and I didn't need 4000$ for repairs it's all in how the truck is cared for and maintained

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Super clean truck, nice...

One thing I always tell someone checking out a LR for the first time is check the connection of the steering shaft to the steering box. The steering shaft is aluminum and the box is steel, this combo causes the teeth on the aluminum to wear down and create slippage. Ask me how I know :Wow1:

It's mostly like any other truck but with more leaks... Although at 35k you may luck out.

my absolute pleasure Chip!

I hope she is everything and more

Things I'd look for -

the Buick V8 tends to shell valves @ 60K or so

if the swivel balls need replacement don't fret you can find slightly used ones on the cheap and they last

check the rear window rubber seal, these can leak a rusty watery substance that isn't so pleasant - you might find remnants

make sure all updates have been done, the cruise control had a factory issue and needed replacement

if you hit any bumps and the hazards go on and won't turn off merely stop the vehicle and pull the fuse ( easy to find under the hood ) start the car up and put the same fuse back in and problem solved

check to make sure the transfer caser is smooth when engaging low range or CDL

check all the door handles to be certain they open smoothly - if they strick at all some DW40 might fix it or it might be a larger issue

throw a tape in the stereo and check the heat shield to make certain it has not been torn and that it adequately protects the stereo from over heating

have 2 shops of your choice do an inspection to make sure the truck is straight

don't be afraid of accidents but get any details you can on records as to what exactly was replaced

check the exhaust where it attaches to the manifold - look for any holes/major rust

make sure the windows are smooth - they have been known to close on their own and not open again

make a video! I want to hear that V8 rumble and the 5spd shift

A part of me is envious of the adventure that lays ahead of you - enjoy it! Scott was right, there are few worthy examples of these vehicles around and it will be some time before another makes itself available. For die hard D1 fans, we will soon have to resolve ourselves to TLC examples with over 100K on the clock soon

best of luck and I hope this is the advent of something exciting that will add depth to your explorations

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
If you need a shop in the area I recommend Cerrone's European in Redwood City. Tony and Frank and huge Land Rover enthusiasts and a big part of our NCLR.

I agree with J-man: maintenance records! But have Tony & Frank give her a look over.

Scott Brady

Founder
give me a perfect body and I can make the rest perfect to.

Exactly...

The Discovery are well vetted now, and the problems are known, and nearly all issues have upgrades available.

You will likely have issues with the power window rollers, as soon as it hits NV. They rollers are plastic, and once they spend a little time in the dry environments, they crack. There is an aluminum upgrade available from Falconworks in Tucson. Solved the problem for me, and that is the only issue I have had with mine.

It has been a wonderful vehicle to own and drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior