Discovery 3 (LR3) and Discovery 4 (LR4) Registry

Keith Jackson

subyspawn
awesome rides guys! i just read thru all posts. I am looking to join the land rover club next year in a LR4...now just to convince the wife it will be for off-roading too!

jerdog53

Explorer
DSC04472_zps55b4f347.jpg

A.J.M

Explorer
Far too many V8s being posted.

Time for the tractor engines to pop up again... ;) haha!

EDB5EC1A-00C5-4F5E-A13D-C77345C26A11_zpseeuetjkb.jpg

ED3155C0-6511-4E1D-AF5F-770C5C2F7B84_zpsehdxdxuj.jpg

Fitted my "new" to me expo roof rack.
It got painted but there are holes in the side from a previous owner so getting them welded up and sorted.
Trying to find a rear ladder for it, just ordered a set of 3 way adjustable height rods for it as well. :)

DukeTrout

New member - 2008 LR3 SE V8 in Oregon

Just picked up a well-taken-care of Land Rover. My Subaru was getting too small - time to go bigger!

Haven't done much with her yet, just took the kids up to the mountains for some fishing. At least I was able to use the snow/grass/gravel setting.

FLR July1.jpgFLR July2.jpgFLR July3.jpg

I don't have much planned, yet. I've already added Yakima crossbars to be able to use my 21 cu ft cargo box for camping. The truck came with stock 18" rims and a second set of 19s with snow tires. I'll get more serious rubber on the 18s when the current tires wear out. I might get a more overland-oriented rack at some point, too, but no hurry. I already have DIY full-length fly rod holders in the works. I'll post those if they turn out well.

JackW

Explorer
Far too many V8s being posted.

Time for the tractor engines to pop up again... ;) haha!

ED3155C0-6511-4E1D-AF5F-770C5C2F7B84_zpsehdxdxuj.jpg

:)

Just rub it in ... we'd love to see the TDV6 on our side of the pond but our government is determined to protect us from tractor engined Land Rovers....

I've owned this 1966 tractor since 1978 - yeah I know its ugly but the original window sticker on this beauty was $4.575.90 in 1966 - more than a Chevrolet Corvette!

A.J.M

Explorer
862C8156-A801-4CD6-80AB-AD0C54B909A2_zpsbhszl0ck.jpg

To be fair, depending on your use. The V8 isn't much worse on fuel.
My average for all use of the car, daily driving, off roading, towing etc, with Duratracs fitted is 23.52 mpg at proper gallons.. ;)

They are also slow, there is 3 seconds between the tdv6 and v8 for the dash to 60.

However, modern diesels remap for very good gains.. ;)

I'm saving up for giving it a serious power hike.
It needed new upgraded silicone hoses as the standards fail with the extra power.
It's getting a rs500 intercooler which is 3.5 times larger than standard..
Full custom exhaust inc decat, for some nice noise
Custom remap.

A remap on a standard tdv6 at the place I use takes it from 188bhp and 325lbft of torque to 240bhp and 413lbft of torque.
With the extras I'll have it should make 260+ which will put it into V8 performance and give it a few more mpg.

My Indy has a similar set up on his D3 and it makes 250 and returns 34 mpg. :D

zelatore

Explorer
To be fair, depending on your use. The V8 isn't much worse on fuel.
My average for all use of the car, daily driving, off roading, towing etc, with Duratracs fitted is 23.52 mpg at proper gallons.. ;)

They are also slow, there is 3 seconds between the tdv6 and v8 for the dash to 60.

Hmmmm.....If I'm doing the math right, that works out to about 19.56 mpg in 'murican.

My stock LR3 w/100K (US) miles on the 4.4 V8 managed around 16 mpg in mixed driving. Now that it's running 32" Duratracs, full skids and sliders, bumpers, jerry can, winch, etc, I'm around 13, maybe 13.5 mpg mixed.

My 13 vs your 19.5 is a pretty big difference when you factor in the tiny fuel tank on these things!

A.J.M

Explorer
When you put it that way, the diesel would make sense for your larger country and the miles you cover.
The best I've got was 513 miles and 28.5 mpg. The "tiny tank" is to us over here rather large! Haha.
It's 82 litres! Although at £1.32 a litre it does hurt sticking over £110 into it.

The 23 is climbing as I've had it terracleaned to help the mpg.
Have the tyres, sliders and roof rack so mid 20s is not bad, don't think the lift kit will hurt the figure any more.

I have a mate who has a V8 and he gets 20mpg, he slags mine as being a log burner and I slag his for having chrome mirros, cream interior and the tacky wood trim on the dash. :D

If I could, I would have had a V8 but none were in the colour combo I wanted when I was ready to buy.

JackW

Explorer
My V-8 LR3 is getting around 13.5 mpg in town and between 20 - 21 mpg on the highway at 70 mph - better than my older RR Classics and a bunch better than my Series I Discovery.

zelatore

Explorer
OK, 'tiny' might be an overstatement, but I've gotten used to nearly 30 gallon tanks in my last couple of trucks which got around 14-17 mpg and 400+/- mile range.
Here in northern California regular 87 octane gas is running about $4.10/gallon. So that would be roughly $1.08/liter. Premium gas like the Rover drinks is about $.25 more. And the dollar is only about .6 pounds to boot.

A.J.M

Explorer
£1 = $1.71
It's 1.32 a litre for diesel at my local station so that's $2.25 a litre.
That's $10.25 for a UK gallon and $7.90 for US.

What octane do you get? Is it the same as us for regular at 95 and premium from 97-99?

axels

Adventurer
Our regular runs anywhere from 85-87 octane and premium is 91-93 depending on where you are in the U.S.

There is a difference in standard. AKI in the USA and RON in Europe.
91 in the US is equivalent to 95 in Europe
93 AKI equals about 98 RON.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78