Discovery Channel Extreme Machines

tamangel

Adventurer
Just watched a Discovery Science Channel program called 'Extreme Machines 4-wheel Force'. A number of different segments, Baja, Monster Trucks and one on some Arctic expedition with built up Toyotas. Big tires that they had to air down to 3-5 lbs for test trials in Iceland on the glaciers to train.. In one scene they showed how to re-seat tires that had come off bead due to low pressure and some terrain problem..

I'd never seen this done before..w/ lighter fluid.. I found a few video's to illustrate.. be careful..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jINu1cuRlww

a description of the episode..maybe you can find a rental..
"Profile 4-wheel drive vehicles through a wide variety of terrains from the beautiful and dangerous glaciers of Iceland to the mighty and unforgiving Gobi Desert and beyond. We study their scientific development over the years and watch the amazing feats they can perform both for fun, racing, adventuring and stunts-and for far more serious purposes, the life-saving vehicles able to reach inaccessible and remote locations where no other road vehicle can go."

here's a pic of the video episode package , couldn't find a full video to post..

Mike

Attachments

• main_-1_3948_200.jpg
    main_-1_3948_200.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 114

BMThiker

SE Expedition Society
Top Gear did the North Pole a few years ago...

Looks like TG pulled the extended clips of the actual episode from Youtube, but here's a fan's "music video" of the episode highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FlZ8tu6MlI

They raced a highly modified Hilux 3.0 diesel against a dogsled team, 450 miles to the North Pole. The absolute best episode of TG to date!

cid 96

Observer
Gun case on Hilux

Why does the TG Polar Expedition Hilux have a gun/rifle case on the back of it? Also why is it outside the bed?

Sid

JJackson

Explorer
Why does the TG Polar Expedition Hilux have a gun/rifle case on the back of it? Also why is it outside the bed?

Sid

Have you ever watched TG? My guess is that they were celebrating the "fat Americans". lol I need to watch that clip.

cid 96

Observer
gun case

My only point was that it was outside the bed. Look at it in the video clips. If I was driving through that kind of rough stuff, at that speed, I would have my rifle in a more secure position.

Like in the cab of the truck! Your scope would not be very accurate after a day or two of that bashing.

I thought the might be using the rifle case to house some other sort of tool.

Sid

BMThiker

SE Expedition Society
Prior to leaving basecamp they were heavily cautioned to not go anywhere (even to piss) without the rifle. And since they installed a bumper dumper, I guess they decided to mount the rifle case to the rear of the truck. I dunno, just a guess. I've seen some heavy duty cases before that would hold up to that kind of exposure, a la Pelikan.

sami

Explorer
:drool:

mainImage.jpg

toyota-hilux-23-10-07.jpg

toyota10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior