Discovery I rear built in storage

ColoDisco

Explorer
Wife and I dug in today! Removed the rear jump seats, carpet and padding.

Carpet out and seats about to come out.
a366cab8fb42e8f1168455a619981602.jpg

Removed the rear seats and both lower quarter trims. Then decided the wheel well carpet had to go as well.
Seats up:
f596087f94cb07be412487500363836b.jpg

Seats down:
5edd25b48b4b49fac2181c2291730030.jpg

Next is to fit the dog guard and take some measurements.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Got the dog guard today. Searching with little result on mounting instructions for the D1 looks like it just bolts where the back seats rest just missing 2 holes and some bolts. Time to drill!

Last edited:

Mudy_Ovl

If you are looking for a two drawer system with access on the sides by the wheelwells, I have one that I am thinking about selling. The drawers are on full extension slides that support up to 100 lbs. It is covered in a beige carpet that is a very close match to the factory carpet. It secures to the four factory mounting points in the cargo area floor (holes need to be retapped to 7/16-fine thread). I can post pictures if you are interested. It also has a detachable sleeping platform that unfolds towards the front seats and accommodates two people (you only need to fold down the backs of second row seats to unfold sleeping platform). I am looking to get $400 for it.
Thanks,
Chris D.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Aaaaand Installed!
8948b9f0dcb0b42f709125e87ab443a0.jpg

Pardon the mess, some of the recovery gear that needs a built in home. :D

0e67c2e26a3c605856853f5d89b40863.jpg

Thanks Jason for helping me get this!

psykokid

Explorer
Pardon the mess, some of the recovery gear that needs a built in home. :D

0e67c2e26a3c605856853f5d89b40863.jpg

Thanks Jason for helping me get this!

I spy with my little eye something that normally belongs in VAG group cars. Not a bad choice to sub for the green stuff though.

ColoDisco

Explorer
You are correct! :D
That is the concentrate I got while working at Audi. One quart treats 3 gallons of water. I switched over to G12 when I did my head gaskets a couple years ago. The coagulative properties should make finding any leaks alot easier.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Well finally getting back to this, measured out the area in back. I have 2 options 2 drawers on the bottom with the fridge freezer on top or 2 drawers on the right and the fridge freezer on the left of them. The second option will eliminate the ability to use the rear as cargo area when not utilizing the fridge freezer setup.

Ray_G

Explorer
Brad-
I ended up putting the fridge on top in mine...with a twist, or rather, with a tilt...
IMG_1654.jpgIMG_1655.jpgIMG_1658.jpgIMG_1659.jpg

All (including the cage that protects it/allows for storage on top of it) can be unbolted fairly easily.
r-
Ray

ColoDisco

Explorer
I love that setup, what thickness of wood did you use for your setup? I am trying to figure out load support for the fridge and the extra gear I plan on piling on top.

Ray_G

Explorer
I think it was 1/2"...maybe a little thicker. Don't think it was 3/4".

The metal frame and the middle section add a fair amount of support-its also where a lot of the weight rests for the fridge slide because of the hinge.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78