Discovery Tub Camper

LanM

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking and reading the great stuff on here. I'm tossing around the idea of using a SUV tub as a base for an offroad camper.

I'm in the auto industry so finding a donor will not be an issue (I can scoop up a front end damaged 1999 disco II for $400). I originally wanted to go with a jeep tub but they're all unibody, so it was either Durango or Disco, disco wins with cleaner interior panels, more windows (harder to insulate though), and taller roof.....looks cooler too in my opinion

I'm attempting to kill 2 birds by using a body on frame SUV donor. I don't have to engineer a frame since the donor frame would be solid enough, just add cross member, a tongue, and go. I'd swap in a 3500lb trailer axle to save weight I would also save on engineering locking doors, waterproof hatches, etc.

I'm guessing weight may be an issue, but I'm hoping it will come in around 1100 lbs after ripping out the interior, fuel tank, etc. I have no way to guess, but a Aussie fella did a similar project out of a xj jeep and it came out a just under 1100lbs.

I'd like feedback on this idea vs. starting with a 5x10 utility trailer and building an off road "teardrop" style trailer. 33-35 tires are the plan.

I'm open to suggestions, as you can see in my horrible paint rendition I'd like to have a slide out galley on one side, and a porta potty storage/ small propane shower head on the other. I was hoping to keep the galley out of the hatch area so I can hook up a SUV tent to make my living space larger, but all that weight up front coupled with a 24" gear box might make it too tongue heavy.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, this is a great place!
discotrailer.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I'm interested to see what happens with this project. I've seen some trailers similar to what you're talking about, but the folks used a VW Bus as a platform instead of a LR... turned out pretty cool too. There's a lot of bodywork involved in a project like that, but if you're prepared and have the know-how... well, you get where I'm going. Might be cool to use the back hatch portion off of a second Disco in the front to kind of tie the whole thing together. Just a thought.

PS- you've got mad MS Paint skillz :sombrero:

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
In theory your plan sounds good, problem is that the axle has to be situated to provide that 60%/40% balance with less than 10% of the weight being placed on the hitch.

To manufacture a frame isn't hard, just look at the length of the box, the length of the tongue, and locate the axle towards the rear of the trailer where the 60/40 weight distribution would be.

Sounds like a little more planning would be needed.

Good luck

LanM

Thanks for the welcome James, yea my paint skills are killer! I see your point Matt. Keeping the axle in the stock location and having a forward galley would give me an extremely forward weight bias I'm guessing. I also plan on taking about 200lbs of gear in that front storage box. Maybe a rear galley area with storage tanks aft of the axle would help balance the load.

I'll have to scrap the idea if I cannot keep the stock axle location, as a ground up build would look better. I do plan on carrying a rear cargo tray that slides into the receiver that will also be loaded with about 100lbs that may help cantilever the thing. Possibilities......I don't want to buy this disco if its an inherently poor design.

In order to get a true weight bias calculation I would need to weigh all the gear, but to weigh all the gear I need to know where it would be stored in the camper....wheels are spinning ......
I wonder if I should start collecting gear and worry about the shell around it later?

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
In theory your plan sounds good, problem is that the axle has to be situated to provide that 60%/40% balance with less than 10% of the weight being placed on the hitch.

To manufacture a frame isn't hard, just look at the length of the box, the length of the tongue, and locate the axle towards the rear of the trailer where the 60/40 weight distribution would be.

Sounds like a little more planning would be needed.

Good luck

There are 1000's of examples of trailers made from pickup beds, which typically address the balance issue Matt brings up. That may be a better route for you to follow.

Jim

LanM

Thanks for the input. The truck bed option did cross my mind at first, but fitting a door, roof, and pretty much everythng thing else I wanted over complicates it to the degree that a scratch built sleeper or alternative would be and easier option.

I do like the truck bed with bed tent idea, but I absolutely need a roof rack, so that would mean taking the tonneau and everything off the rack prior to setting up. I want a 4 season camper also, so I thought the SUV shell would be a good semi prefabbed shell that I could customize and insulate.

eugene

Explorer
Find a truck bed and a tall contactor type cap then you don't have any of the fabrication of sides/roof and its still as tall as a SUV. Somehting like these http://www.4are.com/product/dcu/
(Are just happened to be the first google hit. I see those caps go cheap on craigslist all the time.
You could even go taller just build a spacer to sit on top of the truck bed rails and below the cap to lift it up.

b jeepin

Adventurer
wow what timing!

what are the chances? i am actually have been kicking around the same exact project, i have a front end damaged disco i am thinking as using as my trailer platform. i am having the same dilema as you though, i also have a contrators topper for a mini truck bed. i am torn between 3 options, 1 use the disco chassis, scratch build a frame or cut and paste an exsisting trailer, or use a truck bed.
So heres the key points i've rolled around, my trailer is more for utility than a full camper design so square footage will matter, i should mention though i want to keep it as small as possible while still accomodating my gear and dirt bikes. my tow vehicle is a disco as well and maybe my jeep too, but i can't think of a cooler sight then a disco pulling a matched disco trailer!!:elkgrin: looks aside the weatherproofing was the next big ticket item easier with the disco or the contractors topper. disco would have more places to access.
i think the axle location may be possible if you can distribute the weight well enough, in my case i plan on hanging 450 lbs of dirtbikes off the rear so that should help me out considerably.

anyway wish i had more to offer but i think we may be in the same boat, so i'll definately keep you posted if i move ahead one way or the other.

good luck!

LanM

Its nice to know someone else is kicking the idea around as well. The idea has its pros and cons like any other.

I was considering it because it take a majority of the design and strength issues out of the equation. Chop the front off, gut the interior, cover the huge hole up front, runt he wiring and insulation behind the nicely designed interior panels and go from there. The weight/balance issue has me swinging though. empty weight cannot exceed 1200lbs empty, since my expected tow vehicle will be a tj on 35's.

The truck cap is a good idea, but truck boxes are generally more expensive to pick up since they are more desirable than a suv tub. That coupled with the cost of the cap, then making doors, framing the roof of the ca for insulating, etc....it would just be easier to scratch build a camper. I also do not want the roof height of the trailer any taller than the roof height of a TJ with 3 inch lift on 35's, and the trailer will likely ride on 33's.

I wanted the SUV trailer with a forward galley design to keep the rear hatch attached to a hatch tent for expanded living space. It has occurred to me I could just hook the tent to the side hatch of a different design.

A usable roof rack is essential (for a kayak and bike), so rtt's are out of the question. 5x10 were my original spec'd dimensions, with an 8ft trailer, then a 2 foot gear box. I was shooting for just enough head room to install a folding boat style seat on a 4 inch pedestal that would be in a cut out of the foam I'd use for the mattress. I'm shooting for self contained with a couple batteries and 10 gal fresh water tank that would have fit nicely in a plated skid where the fuel tank used to be.

I'm not even sure that a 10 foot trailer is doable in off road situations, any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

decisions, decisions....I'm not in a hurry.

sarconcepts

Adventurer
didja ever think about placing the cabinets across the back,with cabinet doors facing both sides, this would give you a flip around kitchen so you can cook inside when raining, or outside under the cover of the rear hatch when nice out(like some of the T@B trailers). this puts all the weight behind the axle, & then make your pop out tent fold out to the front over the tongue, bearing onto the front storage box for support? you already have to build the front wall custom, & you can make the tongue any length you need to accommodate the length of the pop out. this wouldn't require altering the rear hatch at all for the pop out.
the only question i have is how you, or do you, stand up in it? or is it a crawl in camper like the teardrops, if you cant, you really want the cooking outside where you can stand up
steve

p.s. or you could make the pop out tent so the front wall hinges up, not down, giving you a solid roof, & use the top of the storage box as the base for the mattress, or better yet, two solid panels, the outer one hinges up, the inner one hinges down giving you a solid roof & floor, the walls would be the only tent

Last edited:

LanM

It would be a crawl in, definitely not a stand up. I don't want the total camper height to exceed tow vehicle height, so I'm limited as to how tall it can be. I also do not want the height due to the off camber instability, goigjn for the lowest center of gravity possible. I thought I could get great articulation with a suv tub since the wheel wells were cut out, and the frame would accommodate an el cheapo long travel travel outboard shock setup via 2 f250 shock towers.

The tent setup I'm referring to is not a pop up style, just one of those simple tents that have one wall that bungees around the rear hatch. I like the idea of having a nice airy mosquito free fair weather sleeping arrangement. I could just leave the hatch closed in the cold. I'm sure I could just hook one of those tents to the side door.
here's what I'm walking about (borrowed with respect)
82209878mopartent.jpg

I basically wanted an off road teardrop trailer with about double the front storage area, and a forward galley so my hatch didn't house the dinette. I'm starting to take the bite out of that reality sandwich that tastes like you can't have everything in the front and have it work efficiently.

I was after this sort of design, but more storage, a forward slide out galley (as in slide out of a hatch to outside, and using a SUV tub. I figured a hollowed out SUV tub wouldn't outweigh all that plywood by much. I hope the fella that built this does not mind me posting a link.
http://www.herebedragonsadventures.com/gallery-4.html

eugene

Explorer
Since your wanting a LR Disco to match, did they ever make a 2 door model. A lot of 4 door suv's were available as a two door model and usually shorter in wheelbase. So if LR had one you would end up with less length in front of the tires, usually about 1/2 door length since there is still a back seat and legroom.

LanM

I believe the full 4 door would be required for the roof length, since where the front doors were would be enclosed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears