Discussion on the 2021 Isuzu/Chevy 6.6L Gas Cabover Platform

No they certainly are not your average "saw horses" I will continue to update our build on the Isuzu.
We are incredibly excited about our build.

John can you describe what is included in the "base" model currently listed at the EC website for around $105K? I think we understand the drivetrain mods. Does this include any of the cab interior upgrades, winch, center console, bull bar, 60 gallon tank, skid plate, etc?
Thank you for asking the base model will have a increased tank to provide additional range. Interior upgrades, the sky is the limit. We will have upgraded seats over stock with a center console if requested. We include Bull bar, rear tow bumper, transfercase guard and a kinetic sub frame to mount a house or flatbed. The Core chassis provides the DIY builder a canvas to create the adventure truck to get to where you want to go and get back home.

DzlToy

Explorer
Just a friendly reminder that you are purchasing a Class 3 work truck. You are not buying an LX570. I have to laugh when I read comments about the dated interior, lack of collision avoidance systems, drum brakes and the like. Once again, you are buying a bare bones work truck. Isuzu's customers do not give two craps about a fancy website or an online configurator. They go to the dealer and either buy what is on the lot, as there are very few options, or they order multiple vehicles through fleet sales. With Fuso and Hino exiting the market, Isuzu has no competition, thus it is disinclined to make any sort of conciliatory investments in the N-Series product line. You buy it as it is or you don't. Corporate Isuzu in Japan and probably in America, could not care less. Adding a 9" touch screen and air-conditioned seats is simply not on the radar for them.

These trucks are used, abused and beaten to within an inch of death by the crews that use them, daily. The trucks are neither luxurious nor comfortable. No majour design changes have been made in years, so "new for 2021" pictures are, again, low on the list of things to do.

An Atlas transfer case is nowhere near as robust as a HERO. Advance engineers will tell you that. AA makes a good case, but a HERO it is not. GM makes decent engines and transmissions, but this driveline is intended for a 1500 or 2500 series pickup truck, as that is where millions of them have been placed. The N-series trucks pale in comparison, in regards to sales. In effect, many of you guys are trying to polish a turd with Turtle Wax. Taking a $40k truck and dumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into it, in an effort to make it look, act, feel and ride like a new Lexus whilst carrying your house on the back, is a bit Sisyphean.

TLDNR: If you want luxury and comfort, buy a new Lexus sedan or SUV, take the leftover funds and hit the road. If you want a commercial-duty work truck that can carry 8 - 9k on its back for hundreds of thousands of miles, buy a commercial-duty work truck. The two are neither interchangeable nor similar in any way.

Last edited:

ucs308

Observer
The question i’m grappling with right now ( again ) is where to get a good solid conversion of NPR double cab to 4WD. I am considering reaching out to EC Core division but 60k extra for a conversion is hard to swallow. It also not clear just how good the Core product is. They have a long tradition. but 105k for a 50k work truck?

What i have decided is i am not gonna spend 200k on a van build.

gregmchugh

Observer
The question i’m grappling with right now ( again ) is where to get a good solid conversion of NPR double cab to 4WD. I am considering reaching out to EC Core division but 60k extra for a conversion is hard to swallow. It also not clear just how good the Core product is. They have a long tradition. but 105k for a 50k work truck?

What i have decided is i am not gonna spend 200k on a van build.

There are definitely other options besides EC for the 4wd conversion of an Isuzu NPR. I have seen several mentioned here, see if a search finds them.

DzlToy

Explorer
If you can get a complete 4x4 NPR for around 100K from a reputable builder, I would suggest going down that path. Tulsa Truck Mfg, RC Trucks and some others may do it for less, but you are not getting a polished package, IMO; you are just getting a basic 4x4 conversion. Having played a minor role in three conversions now, I can tell you there is quite a bit that goes into doing this properly.

For comparison, U-Joint charges something in the neigbourhood of 25k for an E-Series conversion, using Ford parts and several other van upfitters are charging about the same for Transit conversions. To buy a new 6.6L truck and convert it using top of the range parts, you are, most certainly looking at six figures.

ucs308

Observer
If you can get a complete 4x4 NPR for around 100K from a reputable builder, I would suggest going down that path. Tulsa Truck Mfg, RC Trucks and some others may do it for less, but you are not getting a polished package, IMO; you are just getting a basic 4x4 conversion. Having played a minor role in three conversions now, I can tell you there is quite a bit that goes into doing this properly.

For comparison, U-Joint charges something in the neigbourhood of 25k for an E-Series conversion, using Ford parts and several other van upfitters are charging about the same for Transit conversions. To buy a new 6.6L truck and convert it using top of the range parts, you are, most certainly looking at six figures.

Thanks for the comments. That is my sense. Warranty, experience, and service are important intangibles.

Now what about box? Who is the best box builder? Can I get a lifting box from anybody in the USA. Where is the best place to start that research. Can I get a box shaped to fit the truck or will it always be a cube/rectangle on the back. I was looking at some of the work Unidan has done in Aussie and I feel they are light years ahead of what is going on here in the US right now. But the US is hella big and maybe there is an indie builder out there.

DzlToy

Explorer
While I have not attended Abentuer und Allrad or any Aussie shows, I have attended nearly a dozen Expo shows in the US over the last 10 years and there, was able to view boxes built by Unicat, Bliss, Action Mobil, Box Manufaktur and other accomplished builders. The craftsmanship is certainly light years ahead of anything that you will see come out of GXV, EC or ER, regardless of price. For the absurd price that was placed on a certain gigantic F-750-based camper at a show a few years ago, you could have two Mercedes or MAN-based trucks, constructed by a reputable European builder. Any of these will blow the pants off what was hanging off the back of the Ford.

If you have the budget, and are keen to do so, I would get a box from one of the companies listed above and have a competent, domestic fabrication shop build a spring-mounted sub-frame according to the box builder's instructions. Systems integration will be required if you choose to go this route, as fuel tanks for diesel heaters, water tanks for sink/shower, battery banks and the like must all be installed after the box is mounted.

Finally, I am happy to discuss a custom, SIP-based shell, possibly with basic built-in furniture. You would then be responsible for finishing the interior or hiring someone else to do that for you. I recently discussed a 16' x 8' x 8' box with a friend, built using XPS as a core and two layers of 6k carbon fiber/epoxy resin for skins. That box weighs well under 600 pounds, without windows or a door. Build cost (materials only) would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 grand USD.

If you are handy, willing to learn or know someone who can help you build, it isn't difficult to build your own box. If you want a Unicat level box with a lifting roof and all the bells and whistles, call Unicat or one of the others above. That is not a DIY project, IMO.

ucs308

Observer
I talked to Bliss 200K for a box that is done and complete. 16ft sleeps 4, has proper bathroom etc. Not sure if the gasser NPR can handle that. Looked at an EC and can’t make that work. I reached out to Total Composites and will follow up there.. I wondered if GXV held the patent on lifting boxes since I never really see anyone in the US offer them. I see you around a lot @DzlToy so thought you might know what’s what.

DzlToy

Explorer
A V8 gas-powered NPR is not going to do well with a large, heavy box on its back. IMO, an NPR is a great truck for a 10-12 foot, lightweight box, setup for 2 people.

200K is a steal for a complete box from Bliss. Unicat builds a lifting roof box, as does ActionMobil. As for GXV holding a patent on that, I am not sure. I can say, after dozens of hours of research and talking to some people in the industry, lifting the roof of a camper is a huge PITA to do well.

ucs308

Observer
Yeah. I liked Bliss. They were easy to talk to. Problem was what to put it on without falling back to the 25yr rule. Choices are limited in the US. And the NPR is just about the right size truck in terms of physical size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears