Diving in Head First!

yabanja

Explorer
Can I add something here.....the only vehicle I have seen discs fitted to for containerisation had portal axles.......when you load a vehicle into the container, you have to lash the back down then head back to the front of the truck to tie that down then shut the container door. Usually that means sliding under the diffs. I'm not that overweight but try to crawl under a FUSO diff fitted with anything smaller than a standard 16" wheel and tyre (albiet aired down) fitted and it won't happen.

A word of warning.....wear a leather jacket cause the splinters on the floor can be bad!!!

Good point about crawl space. I had actually considered the small wheel option.

yabanja

Explorer
Got the New Bilstein 5100 front shocks installed today. The truck rides 30 % better. But still crap. Going for Bumpstops next. I may consider sending the shocks to bilstein for revalving. They offer this service for $65 each. Very reasonable!

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Respring the front with modified springs. We had new springs made that are 1" longer from the center bolt back to the rear shackles and more set which take it away from the bump stops and the problem is solved. No hitting on the bump stops and you are going to have to look at doing something like that in the long run. It also gives a lot more articulation on the front axle which is good of road as it takes stress of the chassis. Worth every Dollar.

Dan.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/115779-Our-Trip-back-to-the-Tip-of-Cape-York

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Excited to find this thread. Nice to see someone from my old stomping grounds doing a build.

I would look closely as westyss build, as well as the pangea by GXV (click here) (Global expeditionary vehicles) as they have some nice ideas as well. Mind the last one is meant to be a two story build, you can still get a lot about lifting roof trucks there.

Good luck on your build, I will be paying attention to this as I would like to consider doing a build like this at some point as well. Always nice to learn from other folks' efforts.

Regards,
Brian

yabanja

Explorer
Respring the front with modified springs. We had new springs made that are 1" longer from the center bolt back to the rear shackles and more set which take it away from the bump stops and the problem is solved. No hitting on the bump stops and you are going to have to look at doing something like that in the long run. It also gives a lot more articulation on the front axle which is good of road as it takes stress of the chassis. Worth every Dollar.

Dan.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/115779-Our-Trip-back-to-the-Tip-of-Cape-York

Having never dealt with getting new leaf springs made(my background is in circuit race car preparation). How do you go about this? Will the spring shop need the vehicle, the old spring packs, or can you just call in an order? What information will they require? Did you raise the vehicle ride height? If so, how much?

On another note, I see the benefits of the spring mount camper system. Much lower mounting height being the most important to me, as well as ease of construction. I was just envisioning the frame crashing into the subframe on every articulation. I guess this isn't a problem?

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Having never dealt with getting new leaf springs made(my background is in circuit race car preparation). How do you go about this? Will the spring shop need the vehicle, the old spring packs, or can you just call in an order? What information will they require? Did you raise the vehicle ride height? If so, how much?

I took my vehicle in to the spring shop and they measured what I wanted and made them which I fitted myself. The leaves are standard width as in Landcruisers, Nissan Patrols which we have here. So they take the material cut to length you need , roll the eyes, put holes for centre bolts, put packs together.They have the knowledge. You tell them that you want them longer by 1" from the centre bolt to the rear eye. And yes you want a bigger set in the spring to allow for the extra length which gives you more clearance on your bump rubbers which also then gives you more ride height in the front. If you were here in Australia I would send you to Dobinsons Springs here as they are now doing the same for other people that are inquiring about fixing the front end from hitting the bump rubbers. My new springs actually have 6 leaves instead of 5 which you would believe to give a harder ride but that is not so, I've gone to the trouble of removing the bottom leaf to see if it made any difference but only resulted in lowering the height so it has gone back in.My height between axle and bump rubber is now 3" and it does not hit on it at all even when I've been airborne over crest at 60Klm/Hr. and landed fearing that it was going to be a hard landing but it ended being very gentle. Coils or Parabolics may be better but at this stage I can't afford either and the wife is happy with the ride that we have. This is her shopping cart between trips. Before our last trip to the Cape I fitted 1" spacer block in the rear to give more clearance on the rear bump rubbers. This has given me more articulation on the rear axle and leveled the vehicle up. No plans on rebuilding the rear springs as the ride is fairly good when we have our gear on.

Dan.

alan

Explorer
If your wife is happy Dan, it must be good!
If i still had leave springs in the front i would do the exact same thing.

yabanja

Explorer
Thank you for the help! I will begin the search for someone competent around here. Hopefully with my proximity to the off-road mecca of southern Utah I can find someone that specializes in what I need.... Will keep you posted.

Allan

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I used a really good one in Orem, off of State Street about a mile or two north of University, on the west side of the road. Sadly I do not recall the name.

a wise thing to do would be to call up Six States and ask them who they recommend for building leaf springs. I trust Six States in Orem very much, they have done a TON of work on my vehicles and it has always been top notch amazing service, and always at a very good price. (Orem Six States).

Give them a call, I am almost certain they can point you towards a good company.

R
Brian

yabanja

Explorer
I used a really good one in Orem, off of State Street about a mile or two north of University, on the west side of the road. Sadly I do not recall the name.

a wise thing to do would be to call up Six States and ask them who they recommend for building leaf springs. I trust Six States in Orem very much, they have done a TON of work on my vehicles and it has always been top notch amazing service, and always at a very good price. (Orem Six States).

Give them a call, I am almost certain they can point you towards a good company.

R
Brian

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on calling a few truck shops and seeing who the most people recommended. The two places I have dug up thus far are: AAA spring and truck parts at 10th west and 29th south, and Best deal springs in Payson.

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
In an effort to get further baseline info on the truck prior to modification I took it up my local mountain pass. It pulls a long 6% grade at 47 mph in 4th gear. I also measured cabin volume at 87 db at 60 mph. Seems louder though!
Also tested the speedo with gps. 60 mph indicated is actually 57 mph. Not as bad as expected.

On another note, I have read a lot about the syncros in these transmissions having problems. Is this common?

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
These trucks are known for wearing out the syncros. Double clutch on the downshift. I did that until I got my transmission rebuilt.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
In an effort to get further baseline info on the truck prior to modification I took it up my local mountain pass. It pulls a long 6% grade at 47 mph in 4th gear. I am a bit concerned about the gears grinding in the downshift from 5th to 4th gear. I also measured cabin volume at 87 db at 60 mph. Seems louder though!

How much does your Fuso weight ?
-
I notice a big different in noise if I am cruising at 2400 rpm (not quiet, but you can carry on a conversation in a normal tone) or if I am under power (>2900 rpm), then it seems loud.

yabanja

Explorer
It is a 2000 model with the 3.9 turbo. Steel flatbed and liftgate. Weight 8950 lbs.

I am looking forward to measuring sound throughout the build-dynamat-exhaust-and larger tires primarily.

Allan

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Received the new factory floormat in the mail today! It's the little things that make me happy!
photo 5.JPG
It is for an FE so it didn't have a clearance for the transfer case lever:
photo 4.JPG
A quick cut with a razor blade:
photo 3 (1).JPG
Slide it around back:
photo 2 (1).JPG
Pull the door trim pieces, slide the carpet under and screw it all back together and done! I love these cheap little projects!
photo 1 (1).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears