Diving in Head First!

yabanja

Explorer
Great idea Allan, especially with you guys traveling in remote areas where tire/service is not available.

Is there an on/off road setting so as to avoid an "alarm" when you are at lower pressure on purpose (off road use)?

I presume the temperature sensor is part of the air pressure sensor and is thus measuring air temp, not the actual tire temp (rubber).

If you have a low pressure setting (off road), then had a flat tire (off road), is there enough sensitivity to still sound an alarm? As you know, once you get used to low pressure, it can be quite difficult to tell if you have a flat until the tire is "completely" flat. When I had my 4Runner, I would run about 10 psi in difficult terrain and I feel this reduced the number of flats that I had to almost zero, because the tire is able to conform to the terrain over which you are driving. (glass or long thorns, etc., still cause punctures even at low pressure though)

Cheers

I have it set up so that the loaded setting(my freeway pressures)is 40 psi front and 45 psi rear. The unloaded setting(aka off road) is set for 25 psi front and 30 psi rear. But you can set them for whatever you want. Using the two settings unwanted alarms aren't an issue. The alarm isn't in the least bit annoying when it does happen as you just push a button once and it doesn't come back unless something different than the original trigger makes it turn on.

With a variance of seven psi prior to alarm, there is plenty of sensitivity to warn you of a flat at the pressures I am running. On the last trip we ended up not airing up for over a month and just monitoring temps/speeds on the few short paved sections. Talk about a time saver!

It is measuring the air temp. With metal valve stems attached to steel rims there is a pretty good heat transfer. You can set it for an alarm at whatever temp you want so if you don't want your tires to exceed 200 degrees you could set the air temp alarm at 150 with a fair degree of certainty that you would get an alarm prior to the tires reaching a temp of concern. As with anything, you have to play around a bit with it to get it set up for a sensitivity that you feel comfortable with. The beauty of it is that it is extremely flexible, and gives you information to work with that you otherwise wouldn't have without pulling over, feeling the tires for temps and whipping out your air gauge. The inside wheel sensors used on most modern vehicles will give a more accurate temp reading but the expense, and complexity of using them is a big turn off for me.

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In my mind I am not 100% sold on the tyre sensors that screw onto the valve stem, but they are definitely easier to fit than the ones that go on the inside of the rim.
I note that these ones that you have bought can have the batteries changed in the sensors. That is also a big plus, opposed to sensors like the SensaTyre ones, where you need to replace the sensor when the battery dies.
Ultimately I will end up fitting a TPMS to my truck too, but it is lower on the priority list at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing the updates you make.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I would be lost without our TPMS. It has saved us a lot of money in not wrecking tyres. We use the same ones that are fitted to our valve stems and have never had one ripped off. For myself accuracy in pressure and temperature is not that important - it is the relationship between what is set and what it is going too that is important (if that makes sense). Yes you can tell if pressure is too low for the speed that you are traveling because the temp rises - so drop speed or put more air in. Mine look for a 5Psi pressure change or 5°C temp change but like said that is all settable. Would I fit internal ones NO too much trouble, on a road car probably. Mine are Tyre Dog brand.

Dan.

yabanja

Explorer
The mailman came!

I have lost my storage so FIDO has been living outside. I decided to get a car cover for him! I found one with a three layer water proof roof and single layer sides. It was designed for a travel trailer and will go all the way to the ground(protecting the tires from the sun). The best part is it was only $149 on Amazon!

2017-06-22 19.00.58.jpg

Of slightly more interest is the other box which showed up. Our new Webasto Dual Top Evo. It is a single unit hot water heater and furnace which runs on diesel fuel. It will be nice to upgrade from the 1970's propane appliances that we have been using until this point. Particularly the furnace which is a bear to get the pilot lit if you are aimed the wrong direction into the wind. It will be nice to run off diesel as well although we will still have propane on board as we can't make the break from propane for cooking. We love to cook(as can be attested to by anyone who has camped with us) and you just can't beat an open flame for gourmet cookery!

2017-06-22 19.00.49.jpg

2017-06-22 18.57.57.jpg

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Our new Webasto Dual Top Evo.

Make sure you read the installation instructions very closely, as I have heard that these units can be a real pain to install correctly.
As far as I know, here in Australia, Webasto don't give warranty on these units unless it has been installed by someone that has undertaken their special installation course.
Just saying...

yabanja

Explorer
Warranty.

Make sure you read the installation instructions very closely, as I have heard that these units can be a real pain to install correctly.
As far as I know, here in Australia, Webasto don't give warranty on these units unless it has been installed by someone that has undertaken their special installation course.
Just saying...

Oh yes.......paper and cd instructions at hand. Extremely complex. I have the support and advice of several other owners who have spent years fine tuning their units after professional install. I will be much more capable of dealing with issues out in the wild having become intimately familiar with the unit during install. Don't expect much in the way of warranty support. The cost savings of doing it myself will allow me to buy two more of the things if need be.

Allan

java

Expedition Leader
Very cool! That should be a nice unit! I am looking forward to hear how it works out for you.

I looked at the Truma Combi (IIRC), same idea heater/hot water, but no one wanted to sell them in the US. Ended up with a propane on demand unit for water.

DzlToy

Explorer
I am almost positive that Truma came to the Overland East show (first year) in Asheville. I would "presume" that they have US dealers or that you could buy direct from them. That does seem quite strange.

Allan, did you order the high altitude kit? Webaso factory jets are allegedly only good for about 5,000 - 6,000 feet above sea level.

yabanja

Explorer
I am almost positive that Truma came to the Overland East show (first year) in Asheville. I would "presume" that they have US dealers or that you could buy direct from them. That does seem quite strange.

Allan, did you order the high altitude kit? Webaso factory jets are allegedly only good for about 5,000 - 6,000 feet above sea level.

Not yet.

I am compiling a list of things to order from them and will add that to it. (also interior mounting plate.)

Allan

ebbs

Observer
Very cool! That should be a nice unit! I am looking forward to hear how it works out for you.

I looked at the Truma Combi (IIRC), same idea heater/hot water, but no one wanted to sell them in the US. Ended up with a propane on demand unit for water.

just checked, they have a dealer in Indiana.
https://www.truma.com/int/en/truma-dealers/detail.html?dealer=5c8c1ec616b1a0b83eb3b57d789b3adf

yabanja

Explorer
Great idea Allan, especially with you guys traveling in remote areas where tire/service is not available.

Is there an on/off road setting so as to avoid an "alarm" when you are at lower pressure on purpose (off road use)?

I presume the temperature sensor is part of the air pressure sensor and is thus measuring air temp, not the actual tire temp (rubber).

If you have a low pressure setting (off road), then had a flat tire (off road), is there enough sensitivity to still sound an alarm? As you know, once you get used to low pressure, it can be quite difficult to tell if you have a flat until the tire is "completely" flat. When I had my 4Runner, I would run about 10 psi in difficult terrain and I feel this reduced the number of flats that I had to almost zero, because the tire is able to conform to the terrain over which you are driving. (glass or long thorns, etc., still cause punctures even at low pressure though)

Cheers
As an update on our TPMS system. I recently got a stick through the sidewall of a tire at low speed off road. It went completely flat within 1 minute. I received the alarm and had enough time to pull into a suitable location for repairs prior to it going flat. I was then able to stick two plugs into the tire and it carried me to camp where I could change the tire at leisure over a beer. If I hadn't had the TPMS I am certain I would have driven off the bead which would have resulted in a forfeiture of the rest of the trip as I only cary one spare. Couldn't be more pleased with the system!!

2018-05-26 13.56.06.jpg2018-05-26 14.11.41.jpg

yabanja

Explorer
We have been out traveling quite a bit and I'm afraid I've gotten a bit behind on Fido developments. A

After more research I decided to abandon the Webasto heater. Fido doesn't meet the electrical requirements and I was not ready to make the changes necessary to make it happen. I have also since discovered from the new owner of the unit that Webasto is not helpful with replacement parts or technical service unless you are an approved installation center. After hearing from other owners of the units how problematic they can be I think I made the right choice.

For two years we were using a step ladder to access the camper. In that time my wife and I had each taken one nasty fall. In the name of late night intoxicated pee breaks I finally got off my behind and took care of the situation. I purchased a set of "Safe Steps" online and modified them to fit Fido. They are pretty sweet as they have adjustable length legs which work well on rough terrain. The only problem is that they are horribly heavy(50ish pounds) and Sakshi can't manage them. They are also too big to fit where I have traditionally stowed the ladder so they have to ride inside of the door. Temporary solution at best. But at least there won't be any more cracked ribs from off ladder excursions!

2018-03-13 10.31.36.jpg2018-03-13 10.32.00.jpg2018-03-13 14.52.05.jpg

yabanja

Explorer
I have driven FIDO nearly 20k miles and despite the fact that the truck rides vastly better than stock I have to say that I have still been dreading any highway stretches. This is great if you live in Utah like we do IMG_5035.JPGand have dirt road routes to go wherever you want but we are preparing for a 10000 mile trip to Newfoundland in a month and things had to change.

I decided it was time to Insulate the Cab. I found a nice product on amazon that is very similar to Dynamat for about a third of the price. It is Siless,an aluminum backed butyl rubber with an 80 mm thickness. I also bought a hard steel roller for installation. Over then next two weeks the interior of the cab was completely disassembled and every surface covered with the rubber. It was amazing how little sound deadening was used on the truck originally. I put two layers on the doors-one on the outer shell and one on the inner. The results were profound. I don't want to question my priorities as getting the camper on the road was of course the most important, but had I known I would have done this years ago. Previous to the insulation the truck was 92.5 DB at 65 mph. Afterwards it was 85.5. A drop of 7 DB!!! It is like the difference between a rock concert and riding in a modern sedan. I am so pleased!!

yabanja

Explorer
While I had the cab all disassembled I decided to make a few other upgrades. We often travel with one or two other vehicles and I can't count the amount of times that we have passed an awesome campspot or failed to explore an attractive side road because of lack of communication. With this in mind I installed a cb radio and antenna. I also installed a modern stereo with usb and bluetooth capabilities as well as upgraded speakers. Now that the cab is quiet you can actually hear the music while you are driving-Bonus! I went with a 4' cb antenna with a quarter turn quick release so I can stow it under the seat when not in use. The cb itself went into one of the small glove boxes in the center of the dash so that it is out of sight when not in use. There is nothing I hate worse than an expedition vehicle that looks like it drove through a radio shack with a magnet! It worked out well as you can't event tell it's there when not in use and the central location means the passenger can use it when the driver is preoccupied with boulder and cliff avoidance. I also hard wired the TPMS so that I could recover the use of the cigarette lighter for alternative usb power.
55026439332__463BE26D-006A-4E06-AF82-5A4AEADF2F1F.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998