DIY Composite Camper T100 Expedition Vehicle Build

I'm continuing to get questions about the camper, so I made another video. This one is a tour video. I show the various systems in use and talk a bit about the truck.

I do have more projects planned for this vehicle. But I really wanted to drive it around for a while before I start ripping into it again and now my wife's 4runner has been demanding my attention, so stay tuned for more.

Went on a little camping trip with the new camper and did my first off-road test drive on a few OHV trails.

The trails were rated "easy" but I found some sections that challenged my RV driving skills. A few bumps and scrape, but no major failures, so an overall success and good time learning more about how the new rig handles.

Great video! Who are the idiots who thought it would fall apart?! 🤷‍♀️
Haha, Thanks.
I had a handful of people on forums, Instagram, and YouTube commenting that the truck couldn't handle the weight or that my joint work on the camper was not strong enough. But the most popular reason for why the build would fall apart was that I didn't use a captured-spring or some kind of elaborate system to mount the camper to the truck frame. The general assertion was that the first time crossed up the suspension the torsional force would rip the camper apart.
So far my imagineering is proving stronger that their physics 😁

rruff

Explorer
So far my imagineering is proving stronger that their physics 😁
I think they didn't use any physics... :unsure:

The T100 and the older pickups used a fully boxed frame which is torsionally stiff. You can hard mount campers to that with no worries. The Tacoma and Tundra have had C-channel in the back until recently. Those frames twist a lot, and so if your camper is stiff (and they usually are), the two will fight each other and it probably would cause problems. I used poly isolators with the rear ones on a centerline so they can pivot. It's simple and working great so far. But directly bolting to the camper to the frame is the way to go if you can!

Also I think the edges and joints need a lot less strength than people believe. In Oz I've seen manufacturers join the edges of a sandwich panel with a mere butt joint filled with PU adhesive. They've been doing it a long time, so...

I know it's light, but do you know what the shell of your camper weighed before you did the interior? Do you have any idea what your setup will weigh when you get it loaded for a long trip?

Looking good! (y)

I know it's light, but do you know what the shell of your camper weighed before you did the interior? Do you have any idea what your setup will weigh when you get it loaded for a long trip?
The cabinetry in integrated into the camper, so I kinda built it at the same time I was building the "shell". If I subtract the weight of the bigger items (fridge, toilet, mattress, PV panels) I get 1,156 pounds. I'm guessing if I stripped out all the drawers, drawer slides, plumbing, and electrical the shell would probably around 1000 pounds... maybe a little less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior