DIY Expedition Camper on a 2020 Mitsubishi Fuso EarthCruiser CORE Chassis

kcshoots

I searched long and wide over the last two years for a truck chassis to build an expedition camper onto, and settled on a new (2019/2020) Mitsubishi Fuso with an EarthCruiser CORE 4x4 conversion and in the process of building and installing the Total Composites camper box and full interior camper onto this chassis. Follow along the video of my truck/chassis selection and my build out series: https://youtu.be/liZisJ-AmOk

I will try to post regular updates and video to share my build out experiences, frustrations, mistakes and wins in the process of this build out so that others can learn from my experiences.

kcshoots

I finally pick up the new truck chassis about two months behind scheduled pick up and start preparing and planning the modifications to the truck chassis and point out some issues before I embark on this journey to build out an expedition camper on it. https://youtu.be/QRfwYIC-GlM

kcshoots

I installed three grey water tanks combined together for the chassis/in-frame rail grey water system into the Fuso chassis and also an Extreme Outback high-output air compressor and tank, as well as another 5 gallon air tank with distraction for air connections at each corner. More details in my posted videos on YouTube.

kcshoots

I've also tried to repair check engine light, which has been on since picking up new from EarthCruiser. They suggested "clicking" the fuel cap, indicating that they have confirmed an evaporative fuel system leak on my vehicles and/or others they have delivered, and EC suggesting that the factory fuel cap must be loose in the factory fuel filler, yet EarthCruiser modifies the factory fuel tank as part of their standard build (CORE or camper). EarthCruiser has refused to loan a code reader to me so that I can check the code/cause of the check engine light, so I procured one that they recommended at my expense for this new vehicle with CEL. The code reader they suggested did not read the Fuso fault code (or any other J1939 info), so I procured another that was able to read the fault codes but unfortunately not much else. I have put a link to it in the notes of this video. I have checked the vent line between the fuel filler and sender/tank, which was reinstalled by EC. It was loose and possibly the cause of the fault, yet the fault has not cleared. I may try clearing the fault myself as EC has not been willing to provide any support. Any other suggestions? https://youtu.be/RVmlkGnBnjU

cfpirate

Why not take to Chevy deal to check? They would fix under warranty or confirm system was tampered and not manufactures responsibility.

kcshoots

Why not take to Chevy deal to check? They would fix under warranty or confirm system was tampered and not manufactures responsibility.
Yes, that is a good idea, but not sure a chevy dealer will warranty the venting of a fuel tank that is not theirs. But I can check should I not get support from Mitsubishi and after I get the fuel filler changed as the factory one EC provides won't work with a composite camper unless you're willing to have it go thru your camper which I am not. EC isn't even responding to my request for them to resolve at all, which to me seems like a massive safety and regulatory liability in addition to not supporting their own vehicle, work and fuel tank, but I'm open to a more positive outlook.

cfpirate

Yes, that is a good idea, but not sure a chevy dealer will warranty the venting of a fuel tank that is not theirs. But I can check should I not get support from Mitsubishi and after I get the fuel filler changed as the factory one EC provides won't work with a composite camper unless you're willing to have it go thru your camper which I am not. EC isn't even responding to my request for them to resolve at all, which to me seems like a massive safety and regulatory liability in addition to not supporting their own vehicle, work and fuel tank, but I'm open to a more positive outlook.

kcshoots

Continuing the build, completed many things, including cutting in the skylight and window openings for the Motorcraft Adventure Development windows and skylights and installing those. I learned many things, mostly from installing the windows, which are tricky with their recess into the Total Composite side walls. I'll share more soon.IMG_0485.JPG

kcshoots

The Motorcraft Adventure Development windows are now installed, as are the skylights. I really like the quality of these windows, although there are some challenges installing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12