DIY Fridge slide build - 1/16" aluminum angle iron strong enough?

jamesm113

I'm getting started on a DIY fridge slide build for my van. I have some drawer slides on the way, and need to decide if 1/16" aluminum angle iron is sufficient or if should go up to 1/8" thick angle iron.

My fridge is an older ARB 50 qt - weighs 53 lbs, plus I figure another 80 lbs if it were to be stuffed full of drinks.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
The thickness doesn’t matter as much as the size (section height). In general, your question is too broad to be accurately answered. Can you put up a sketch of what you are thinking for ideas?

Reactions: J!m

NatersXJ6

Explorer
As an additional thought, something similar in size to the drawer glides you bought will have a similar carrying capacity to their rating, assuming adequate connections.

jamesm113

Here's a quick sketch. Bottom angle irons would be anchored to the van floor.

Attachments

• 20230517_100828.jpg
    20230517_100828.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 16

jamesm113

Here's a similar build:
(should be able to see it in action around the 5 minute mark)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 10.14.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 10.14.26 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

NatersXJ6

Explorer
That is very simple. I would guess that something like 1” x 1/16” will serve you just fine. Getting something taller 2” or 1-1/2” would be better, but really just easier to assemble. Properly rated drawer glides are more important. Most will say to de-rate something like 3x for mobile use, so your 150lb glides become 50 or so. This considers the g-forces generated by bumps and whatnot as you drive with them loaded.

jamesm113

Yeah, would probably do 1.5".

Was planning on 250 lb slides, which might be a little light for the 3x rule. But this is a 2wd rig doesn't see any extreme off-road - it's more for hauling dirt bikes.

Hummelator

Adventurer
That is very simple. I would guess that something like 1” x 1/16” will serve you just fine. Getting something taller 2” or 1-1/2” would be better, but really just easier to assemble. Properly rated drawer glides are more important. Most will say to de-rate something like 3x for mobile use, so your 150lb glides become 50 or so. This considers the g-forces generated by bumps and whatnot as you drive with them loaded.
I may be wrong but...
Arent the ratings on slides based on its weakest point- when they are fully extended?
When closed the slides are much more ridgid, and one would never be driving around with the fridge extended.
I just built a slide on 150# slides. My dometic cooler will be close to that when stock so I will find out soon..

dstefan

I'm getting started on a DIY fridge slide build for my van. I have some drawer slides on the way, and need to decide if 1/16" aluminum angle iron is sufficient or if should go up to 1/8" thick angle iron.

My fridge is an older ARB 50 qt - weighs 53 lbs, plus I figure another 80 lbs if it were to be stuffed full of drinks.
I have a DFG Offroad slide with the same fridge on it and I pretty sure it’s 1/16 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 or something close. You could see how their‘s are structured on the web site. It’s quite strong, but light — 15 lb IIRC.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I am not a slide engineer, but I am certain that the bearings carry the load and are subject to wear all the time, not just while extended. My hypothesis would be that a taller (stronger) section is needed to carry equivalent load at full extension, but the detracting recommendations are based on meeting whatever number of load cycles they expect to get on the bearings from a reliability standpoint. You’ll quickly know if it feels too wobbly for comfort.

Just imagine all your beer broken on the ground when you think about saving a few $$ on slides!

J!m

From the hip I would say 1/8" X 1" section will be more than strong enough if all attachment points are used. The issue with thinner wall material is twisting. I may suggest slightly thicker wall for the ones that attach to the truck floor, to ensure the rigidity of the drawer slides. If both sides of the slide are in motion, I fear the derating will be 50% or more on the slide... (again from the hip)

But you can get deflection calculated easily here-

Note the tabs, and choose the best suited, which may involve using more than one calculator (end of angle to first attachment point would deflect more than in the middle between two attachment points)

ShamusTX

Observer
I built this one:

No issues with the slides to date.

jamesm113

Thanks everyone! The slides showed up last night, and I had a chance to hold up a scrap piece of 1/16" angle iron to the slide. Between this thread and seeing the scrap 1/16" angle iron next to the slide, it's pretty evident 1/16" isn't thick enough. Going to get 1/8" instead.

Attachments

• 20230518_193700.jpg
    20230518_193700.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior