DIY Icebox

Bluedog225

Observer
Good morning,

I’m looking around for a source of a Danforth/Secop [edit Danfoss] compressor unit (complete). Unfortunately, the forum doesn’t allow a search for ”DIY”. Seems pretty odd to to be able to search that term. Maybe there are reasons.

Anyway, I’d like to build a custom ice box and need a 12 volt unit to cool it. Danforth/Secop or others. Will be run off solar with a couple of Battle Born 12 volt LiFePo4 batteries.

Any good sources (or good threads) would be appreciated. I keep getting Iceco and Engel threads.

Thanks!

edit-these units are available on Ebay for less than $300. A basic foam box and good to go?

268EB3F1-2AC4-497A-999A-D2B908A74DA6.jpeg

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Care to share why you want to build a fridge rather than buy one of the many excellent fridges on the market?

Bluedog225

Observer
Good point. I choose the wrong example. Here’s a better one.

I want to build a small, well insulated box to house LiFePo4 batteries powered by solar. Basically, the 12 volt Danforth/Secop hardware but in a larger custom box. My goal is to have a small utility space to keep the batteries and electronics at around 70-80 F even on 115 F Texas days.

I think the BTUs are there with the right insulation.

The sailing community has a pretty robust tradition of building their own refrigerated spaces. I had assumed that the DIY tradition would be part of this community as well. Especially in terms of fitting refrigerated space into custom builds. I prefer to design and build. Ymmv.

Complete, precharged units seem to be more available in Europe and Aus. I am trying to find a reputable source for the Danforth [edit-Danfoss] complete units here.

Attachments

• FD80B899-DA4B-4902-B81D-41D264759E9B.jpeg
    FD80B899-DA4B-4902-B81D-41D264759E9B.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
This is interesting. Kinda like a mini version of a walk in cooler.

I saw one in person once. It sure was cold. He used 2 window a/c units. Walls were at least a foot thick. Not sure if he removed the thermostats but they seemed to run nonstop while I was there.

Good idea to keep batteries in their happy zone. I have Li-Po batteries for my rc crawler. They warned me when I bought them about the potential fire hazard. I keep them in storage mode when not in use and used concrete blocks and made a garage for them & used a plastic 5 gallon bucket filled with sand as the roof. If they ever combust, bucket will melt and sand will put out the fire. Can't be too careful about that. Look up li-po battery fires on YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78