DIY wash station

Lynn

Expedition Leader
wash station pic.jpg

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum in forever, but thought I'd log in real quick and share a washstation I set up for an upcoming Girl Scout campout.

I had seen several on the web that are variations of this basic design, but my contribution is to use rectangular buckets that both nest and stack.

long Version: I wanted a place where we could wash hands and dishes without water running out on the ground making a mess. I have seen several similar setups online, but thought I would share mine. The basic idea is simple: fill the bottom bucket with clean water, pump the marine gas ball pump with your foot, and the water squirts out of the hose over the top bucket. After the bottom bucket is empty dump the top bucket and refill the bottom one.

Like I inferred above, I like using two rectangular buckets because they stack easily, bringing the basin up to a usable height. When nested, the tubing, pump, and bottle of soap fit in the bottom of the bottom bucket, leaving the top bucket open for other storage.

You can't really see it in the pic, but I simple duct-taped a bent wire hook on the side of a pump bottle of hand soap to hang on the side of the basin. I'll add a way to hang a roll of paper towels on the back.

Also, I used nylon cable ties to secure the pump to a small piece of wood (OSB) to keep it from running around while you're pumping it with your foot.

In addition to camping, I plan on taking it to crawfish boils at my in-laws, and volunteer service programs I participate in where people might want to wash up before lunch.

Best part is I had everything except the gas pump laying around in my garage.

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Additional detail: I also used a cable tie to attach a weight to the end of the intake line to make sure it stays underwater.

nice idea with the foot pump and all. only hard part will be leveling it

Level? Well, I guess it needs to be level and stable enough not to fall over. But with 3 - 4 gallons of water in either the top or the bottom, it's pretty stable. I don't imagine that will be a problem.

I've thought about adding a cleat or something to keep the top bucket from sliding off if someone bumps into it, but I'll wait and see if that's necessary.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
We tried it out this last weekend on the Girl Scout campout. Worked great; the girls loved it. I'll probably take it along on our High School's Day of Service tomorrow.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I made a bulb pump setup no buckets but very handy when hands are dirty and full to just step on them :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12