Dmski's 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 “Don’t call it a Jeep build” Build

Dmski

Adventurer
Well, I have a problem and can’t leave well enough alone on literally any vehicle I own, including my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Upon asking her if she'd allow me to build it up I got the response of “hell no you can’t make my truck a rock crawler!” Ok, fine. Happy wife happy life so I’m going to have to do this subtly…

EcnNOHI.jpg

nQCdCe5.jpg

UlgXoR3.jpg

When I sold my Nissan Xterra (Titan Swapped and fun offroad) I knew I’d be buying and building another truck for family camping, biking and ski trips. We’ve had the 2012 GC Overland for 4 years and I’ve always held off knowing it’s too nice and not a “wheeling” rig, plus it’s my wife’s daily driver and she doesn't want to look or feel like she's in a military vehicle rolling up to Target. That still holds true, and the aim of this thread isn’t to build a crawler or some insane rig but make this a subtle, practical and functional build for family camping. If I want to go bash through rocks or really explore I’ll do that on my motorcycles or build another capable truck in the future for true ORV wheeling. I miss and love aspects of truly wheeling, but the cruel reality is for most trails this truck and our family will be doing I usually spot a subie or carolla at the end of the trail so I’m not going crazy here. There simply isn't a need... Yet (if my last build is any indication of overdoing it, then here we go).

I’m my experience and research, what I’ve found is these rigs are surprisingly capable but lack aftermarket support or solid forum support. Folks build these because they can out of passion and thus there really aren't a ton of builds when you could just buy a JK or 4Runner and be twice as capable for less money new. The older GCs are coming down in value though, and their size and platform offer a lot of road comfort for crunching miles and give decent offroad performance in a luxury SUV package that still feels small compared with what is being offered today. They are decently reliable but do have electrical gremlins depending on the trim level and a share of regular smaller issues that plague similar models across the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product lines. They are also well supported too from a dealer perspective in the US. That said, I’ve spent more time trying to find web information on common knowledge info and end up not finding enough, or conflicting information, so my intention is to document my findings and link here as much as possible to help others.

The base vehicle we started with is the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland WK2. This version was fully loaded, heated/cooled seats, heated wheel, 300w inverter, Weathertech mats, offroad skid plates, HD brakes and tow package accompanied with Quadra lift air suspension, ELSD and the 16 spark plug touting 5.7L Hemi. We purchased it with just shy of 50k miles and it’s served us well. Currently it has 92k miles and counting. The goals for this Jeep are as follows:
• Good base line of 90k mile service including fluids, belt, inspection, driveline and paint issues, etc. (currently complete)
• Skids (came with the truck, yay)
• Fix driveline issues in the form of a shift kit/tune, verifying TSBs, etc.
• 32x18" wheel/tire combo for a bit more sidewall and vehicle height
• Hidden winch bumper (possibly off the table if Mrs. Dmski finds out)
• Aux lighting subtly (more for my eyes than anything on dark backroads, I've always loved a backup light in dark areas so in bumper/underneath likely an option)
• Roof rack upgrade or getting creative with storage of skis, bikes, extra bulky and wet gear
• Suspension refresh or replace (quadralift modified or potentially entirely replaced when bags or compressor give out)
• Potential for rear tire carrier if tire doesn't fit or I opt for storage of gear in existing spare tire space
• Awning (again not subtle but I've actually found these to be extremely helpful in wet or hot climates)
• Chrome delete for my vanity, I'd like to update the front grill to have a little less chrome to make it a bit more up to date looking
• Red arc trailer brake controller for potential trailer purchase
• Basic recovery gear for specifically skiing/winter (i.e. Maxtrax/TREDs, simple gear, shovel, Antigravity Jump Pack and air compressor), winch is a nice to have and more for looks
• CB install/HAM install for bored days on the road
• Interior storage
• Radio, this thing is getting a bit long in the tooth so either I'll limp it along or upgrade to something with Apple Car Play

Currently considered but off the table are the following:
• Likely winch bumper as it's functionally never going to be used and more trouble than it's worth
• Sliders, sadly as much fun as these are this truck just isn't/shouldn't be seeing trails that require this. The hardest trail I'll be attempting will be Gallagher and I think the rig should be fine with tires alone.
• Lots of exterior antennas/lights, this is going to be stealthy so either removable or small antennas and hidden/minimal lighting
• Lockers, no need for the trails we intend to use them on
• Snorkel, love them but not required for dust/water levels we see
• RTT, not off the table, but currently not in the cards
• 33+ tires, it's doable with pinch weld/trimming mods but it's more rolling mass and weight that just kills MPG
• Dual battery setup, if we have a trailer I'll be adding solar and extra capacity there so no need for the rig. Antigravity jumpstart pack is enough in a pinch

Current Build notes:

Exterior:
• Washed n' Waxed
• Roof Rack Crossbars installed
• OEM skid plates

Interior:
• Weather Tech Mats
• RAM mount for GPS/phone
• Midlands CB in center console
• UV-5R HAM
• Base recovery gear: Air Compressor, plug kit, shackles, tow strap, folding shovel, jump pack by Antigravity

Performance:
• Solid baseline
• UPR Oil Catch Can

I'll try to keep this first post up to date with current build notes. Enjoy!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looking forward to the build! Sounds like you've got a good plan to turn it into a fun vehicle for getting out and exploring. I think these vehicles are more capable than they get credit for and are probably more capable than most people will ever need.

Dmski

Adventurer
Looking forward to the build! Sounds like you've got a good plan to turn it into a fun vehicle for getting out and exploring. I think these vehicles are more capable than they get credit for and are probably more capable than most people will ever need.
Agreed! Coming from more spartan vehicles I'm a bit apprehensive about electronics issues leaving me stranded in the backcountry but I'll do what I can to build up a spares bin and ensure everything is up to snuff, have coms, have buddies, etc.

Dmski

Adventurer
I originally had to fix a ticking exhaust manifold which was not exactly my idea of a good time. Otherwise, the truck has been rock solid reliability wise. I've just done the typical 90k service work which included the following:
For other how to items, I've found jeepforum and jeepgarage to be the place to go and will link the best how to section here: https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/maintenance-and-repair-thread-index.3478986/

The ELSD rear motor has been giving me problems with traction control and service 4wd light coming on initially intermittently and getting worse. I pulled the codes and found codes C2221 - ELSD DTC present, C148f and C1451. I verified battery voltage and at 12.66v. Things get fuzzy from here but for this model year I found there are 2 motor options available.

If your motor is stamped with 0501329981 then use mopar part 68214628AA which should fit 2014-2016 cars. Otherwise 2011-2013 should be mopar part 68084266AB. These suckers are EXPENSIVE ($600+) so I tried the knock off versions on rockauto and amazon at significantly cheaper prices at around $200. When I pulled the motor it was very stiff, squeaky and bearings were shot. Reinstalled the new motor, however, my light intermittently will come on at low speed tight maneuvers but will remain off for long highway runs so I'm now determining if there is issues with wires, or if I need to suck it up and buy an OEM piece to get rid of these gremlins. For now I used AlphaOBD to clear codes, did initialization of ELSD motor and heard and saw torque of 300 low to 1200 high. So it's working properly, but I'm seeing codes sporadically. Because this was a knock off I think I may be having some issues, but I couldn't figure out quite why. Baring this not working, I may need a new ELSD unit all together which is my next potential step. Stay tuned for troubleshooting…

Other issues to address in the near future:
  • I'm seeing steering boots weeping which is a semi common occurrence with these WK2s. I'm budgeting in time and money to fix this in the near future.
  • Air suspension/bushings. At the moment things look good, but I'm planning to refresh all of the suspension when the time comes
  • Water pump, Hemi's tend to gobble these depending on the model but for now mine looks healthy or has already been replaced at some point in it's life.
  • AC refresh
  • Silly cupholder chrome is flaking and looks aweful, planning to vinyl wrap this. I did find the OEM part number for those that wish to buy new, but at $300 it's not worth it to me to fix. Part number is 1SY571X9AD

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
In researching tires, Jeep WK2's have a few options. Stock suspension you can theoretically fit a 275/65/18 tire with minor rubbing depending on the aggressiveness of the tire. 265/65R18, 265/60/18 all fit easily, and 255/70/18 also work for a full 32" tire. At the 255/70/18 you can fit the spare in the back with pulling the plastic out. However, you need to keep aware of your brakes. WL and JL/JK wheels in 18" sizes can theoretically fit over the HD brakes with barely enough clearance and with lower brake pad wear, but I fear a small spacer is required with new pads installed and just didn't want to deal with this.

275/55/20 fit nicely on stock 20" wheels and that's what I decided to do. I chose Kumho Roadventure AT52's and they are fantastic. Great ride, quiet on road and great in snow. Really liking them so far. I still need to find a cheap spare in the skinny 32" flavor to match, but the setup looks good for now.

dyIU5uw.jpg

aDTM3FD.jpg

And in ski mode:
z70TTAY.jpg

And out to the peninsula for some car camping:
3Ksd4hR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior