Do you actually use or need a pass thru window from camper to pickup?

Dave in AZ

How much do folks actually use front pass thru window to get stuff inside cab?

I've been pricing out builds for a popup canopy camper. Looking at Tune M1 and OVRLND now, after starting with 15 or so. But everytime I price out a build and add options, I keep adding expensive windows to front and rear, so I can see out back while driving. And then I make the front window a pass-thru, so I can "grab stuff from inside the cab". Not sure what stuff...

Been reading a lot of folks say the windows are useless for vision, you either block them anyway, or they are too dirty to see out, or too small and misplaced. And for $179 you can get a great rear view camera plus backup plus front dashcam, always displayed on mirror. Folks say it is a great picture, and makes needing windows or backwards visibility unnecessary.

So, that just leaves using the window to grab stuff. I'd really like to delete all windows for several reasons. Cost, better security, being able to use those walls for storage and build, better insulation.

Thanks for any inputs on if the pass thru to cab is actually used enough to keep it.

• i can still crawl through as an escape route (or if I lock keys in cab)
  • it serves as access to the extended cab 'cellar' for reach-in storage
  • I can reach custom lighting control panel if needed (fog, light bar, rear fogs)
  • great for forward view when I'm in the camper
  • it can help bring light into the camper
  • dog demands it...too big to ride in cab
  • ventilation for the occupants (mostly the puppy in pop-down configuration)
  • I can keep tabs on the pup (alert and looking out the windows or laying down)
  • pup is able to look forward and sound an alert if anyone is approaching while parked and I'm away from vehicle
  • I'm still old school enough to be able to use my outside and inside mirrors to do most maneuvering... and save the rear camera for very close in work
  • instead of installing a pricey roof fan, I have option of placing a DIY custom fan in the slider opening
  • If privacy is needed a nearly zero cost shade is secured into place
  • the advantages of a pass-through far exceeds thermal loss concerns to me
the pass-thru is my deal breaker option. some camper builds don't offer it so I passed on considering the camper

Attachments

• carry GSD.JPG
    carry GSD.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

NorthEnuf

How much do folks actually use front pass thru window to get stuff inside cab?

I've been pricing out builds for a popup canopy camper. Looking at Tune M1 and OVRLND now, after starting with 15 or so. But everytime I price out a build and add options, I keep adding expensive windows to front and rear, so I can see out back while driving. And then I make the front window a pass-thru, so I can "grab stuff from inside the cab". Not sure what stuff...

Been reading a lot of folks say the windows are useless for vision, you either block them anyway, or they are too dirty to see out, or too small and misplaced. And for $179 you can get a great rear view camera plus backup plus front dashcam, always displayed on mirror. Folks say it is a great picture, and makes needing windows or backwards visibility unnecessary.

So, that just leaves using the window to grab stuff. I'd really like to delete all windows for several reasons. Cost, better security, being able to use those walls for storage and build, better insulation.

Thanks for any inputs on if the pass thru to cab is actually used enough to keep it.
We chose not to get the pass-thru option on our current camper. On a previous camper we had a pass-thru and did not use it, so saw no reason to pay more for it this time. We do have a couple of dogs, but they ride in the back seat of the truck. I can definitely see the value of a pass-thru if you have pets that are going to be riding in the camper.

Like so many things, it just depends on your specific needs.

Last edited:

Nailhead

I have one, but I’ve never used it. That’s not to say it won’t happen, but it’s never been a crucial component of a happy camping trip.

The only use I can foresee for the pass-thru at this point is allowing the use of the phone booster receive antenna in both the camper and the cab.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Eh, can be nice. If you have critters, or can kind of pre heat or cool the camper with the truck. Depends on a lot of things, type of cab, and use. I use mine as a vent bad weather more than anything else.

Edit: I forgot to add, some of the rear view cameras are great. And you can mount them to your liking and get a better view.

Last edited:

stevo_pct

I'm in the same boat as you (considering OVRLND or Tune M1). I don't think I need a pass through, but I like the idea of rear visibility when driving. Seems like that might actually work for the Tune M1 - the window looks big enough to give some real visibility, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

Dave in AZ

I'm in the same boat as you (considering OVRLND or Tune M1). I don't think I need a pass through, but I like the idea of rear visibility when driving. Seems like that might actually work for the Tune M1 - the window looks big enough to give some real visibility, but I haven't seen one in person yet.
Take a look at this rearview camera. In another thread, a guy talked how he liked it, and made rear window obsolete. This is what got me thinking about deleting it... $180 for hi def camera front and back vs. $700 to $950 for the two windows...

Just looked at pricing again, no windows vs sliding front plus fixed back. OVRLND is just $700, and Tune is $950.

Won't let me post link, but RexingUSA M2 camera on Amazon

Last edited:

MR E30

Take a look at this rearview camera. In another thread, a guy talked how he liked it, and made rear window obsolete. This is what got me thinking about deleting it... $180 for hi def camera front and back vs. $700 to $950 for the two windows...

Just looked at pricing again, no windows vs sliding front plus fixed back. OVRLND is just $700, and Tune is $950.

Won't let me post link, but RexingUSA M2 camera on Amazon

That might have been me, but yes, even if you have windows a digital rear view mirror, with the camera placed right where you want it, is definitely the way to go. Mine, the Rexing M2, includes a front facing camera as well, and it records audio inside of the cab. I see better out of the rear while driving normally, and since I had to ditch my OEM tailgate/backup camera, I now have a great view while backing up on trails or into parking spots, etc.

They have options that go over your OEM rearview mirror, and there are options that completely replace your OEM rearview mirror as well.

As for the passthrough, I don't have one and I can't see it being useful for my situation. But as others have said, it really comes down to what you prefer.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We have a crawl through (goes via a wardrobe). It is also left open when used to communicate with passengers in the rear on odd occasions that the rear seats are occupied.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

No front slider here! In fact, I opted for ZERO windows in my AT Summit for security(not really a factor with the front slider) and insulation(definitely a factor).

Also, it allowed me to place my galley up front leaving me still with 5 feet of space in my long bed Tacoma!

Attachments

• IMG_20221008_143309323_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221008_143309323_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

Dave in AZ

No front slider here! In fact, I opted for ZERO windows in my AT Summit for security(not really a factor with the front slider) and insulation(definitely a factor).

Also, it allowed me to place my galley up front leaving me still with 5 feet of space in my long bed Tacoma!
That is a good looking sink water setup, thx!

I got lucky then. 40+ years with 2 pass-through Leers and no issues with leaking. Hard to assess the effectiveness of a product based on a described 'feature' without identifying the model or design. That's using exception based logic. Really need more information to support a conclusion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12