Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtatik

Explorer
x2. The only animals I really worry about are lions. They bother me because theyre really not all that scared of humans and theyre silent. Bears at least make enough noise that you know theyre around and can avoid them, or theyll more likely run as soon as they get a whiff of you. Lions wont.

Actually, cats are more fearful and reclusive than bears. They also tend to be a bit more alert to activity in their territories. Rarely will you see more than one in a single area due to strong territorial behaviors. Perhaps while mating you'll see two in a given place, but other than that, they live very solitary lives. While bears will make a habit of visiting human occupied places in order to forage....cats very rarely will.
Most of the cat attacks I've heard/read about involved very seriously stressed animals. Usually environmental/habitat stressors are what cause cats to act funky. Drought, and the resultant low food production or habitat removal/human encroachment, etc. are the stressors that will drive a cat to take chances well out of their normal behaviour patterns. Another are humans acting in such a way, or participating in activities that trigger a predatory response. They will frequent game trails for ambush opportunities. This is where the trail runners and mtn bikers get nailed. Again, making a ton of noise that can be heard well in advance of your approach is the best avoidance method. Unfortunately, trailrunners and mtn bikers being preoccupied, don't heed this advice enough.

Last edited:
In a way, I agree, but I also disagree with your statement.

While I have had several "encounters", 2 and 4 legged, I dont see a firearm as an essential tool for defense. For defensive purposes, I agree with you that it is a personal choice and I respect those who do not carry for that reason. After all, I firmly believe, and agree with others who have said the same, that your brain and situational awareness are the BEST defensive tools that someone can have, armed or not.

However, I do see it as an essential tool while in the backcountry because in an emergency it can be used for hunting for food and signaling for help. THats why I like my shotgun rather than a rifle. A rifle, for emergency hunting really is of no use. You cant kill a quail with a highpowered rifle. While you can kill big game wiht it, there is no guarantee that you will even see anything bigger than a squirrel. WIth my shotgun, and varrying rounds for it, I have the option of hunting anything from a squirrel to a moose. Between the amount of water that I carry (a LOT, even more when Im in the desert), my water filter, and my shotgun, I know that if I were stuck somewhere, I would not lack for food or water for quite sometime.

I firmly believe that anyone who goes into the backcountry should have a firearm for that reason, hunting, not defense. The way I see it, being prepared means having the tools necessary to keep yourself and your loved ones alive in an emergency. A gun should be part of that. Doesnt even have to be big. I choose to carry a shotgun for the above stated purposes, but a small .22 caliber rifle or pistol is MORE than adequate for emergency hunting purposes. With my 22 rifle, Ive killed quail, squirrels, and rabbits. I feel confident that I could kill a deer with it, although I dont beleive that a .22 is big enough to make an ethical shot, except under emergency circumstances.

I definitely agree with you on this KG.

Its got me rethinking my situation. I usually only carry a compact .380 for close range incidents if we so encounter one. But, you have me thinking that I should bring along either my 20 gauge or my old plinker .22. The only animals I have ever killed were with those two guns (besides my 12G Mossberg that i use exclusively for duck hunting). My only issue with hauling the 12g around is barrel length. I'd need to get a shorter barrel for it, because I've used that for deer, hog, and duck.
The ability to have a "shot" at a variety of wild life by using different types of game shot is great and one I've never really thought of in a survival situation.

OverlandFJ

I hope you took the time to show the tracks to the kids...It would be a great learning opportunity if done properly. I'm curious as to whether or not you were able to ID the print, and why you say bears were not known to be in the area?

I ID'd the bear tracks from the large paw print and scratch marks in the hard packed mudd. The bears left hair on nearby trees and there were many bear droppings. I have been bear hunting several times before and we use these same techniques to track the bears. The woods that we were camping in is well known hunting area that are primarily inhabited by Elk and have never had this much bear activity before.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I see the wanna be outdoorsmen are still trying to rub their horse crud in this thread...
Pretty idiotic. Just because someone spends a weekend out in the desert every 5-6 months does not make them an outdoorsmen.
First off bears are not all that loud unless they are foraging I have personally been nose to nose with a 350lb bear. I think we both messed ourselves as she went one way and I the other. My father had one swipe at his head and he never seen it until he heard it breathe out less than a foot above his head on a ledge. They are pretty neat to watch when they are foraging for bugs or berries. About 99% of all bears will run away from you when they SEE you not smell you as bears are quite curious to smells except human urine. That figure is grossly adjusted if the bear is a sow with cubs.
Second cats are not THAT reclusive, it is just that most people do not SEE them. They know very well that all they have to do is be still and they can stay right where they are. I have seen this happen quite a few times.

LaOutBack - The 380 is not a bad gun to bring along although in a stranded survival situation the .22 can be a lot more useful. I generally bring the gun needed for the situation. This last weekend I carried my .45 for the human factor, 2 weeks ago it was a small bore rifle. As I have said before I am not a huge fan of the shotgun although I do have 1. I am just a lot more accurate with my rifles and feel that they serve me better.

KG6BWS

Explorer
I see the wanna be outdoorsmen are still trying to rub their horse crud in this thread...
Pretty idiotic. Just because someone spends a weekend out in the desert every 5-6 months does not make them an outdoorsmen.

Actually, I spend just about EVERY weekend, in either the desert or the mountains, depends on what I feel like.

First off bears are not all that loud unless they are foraging I have personally been nose to nose with a 350lb bear.

While I havent been quite "nose to nose" Ive been within about 30 or 40 feet of several black bears. And Ive been within sight of them many other times. Usually Ill hear them huffing along or breaking twigs and such on the ground.

I think we both messed ourselves as she went one way and I the other. My father had one swipe at his head and he never seen it until he heard it breathe out less than a foot above his head on a ledge. They are pretty neat to watch when they are foraging for bugs or berries.

Yes they are.

About 99% of all bears will run away from you when they SEE you not smell you as bears are quite curious to smells except human urine. That figure is grossly adjusted if the bear is a sow with cubs.
Second cats are not THAT reclusive, it is just that most people do not SEE them. They know very well that all they have to do is be still and they can stay right where they are. I have seen this happen quite a few times.

LaOutBack - The 380 is not a bad gun to bring along although in a stranded survival situation the .22 can be a lot more useful. I generally bring the gun needed for the situation. This last weekend I carried my .45 for the human factor, 2 weeks ago it was a small bore rifle. As I have said before I am not a huge fan of the shotgun although I do have 1. I am just a lot more accurate with my rifles and feel that they serve me better.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
John101477,

You are absolutely correct about BLACK Bears...I've had a lot of Black Bear encounters, even sows with cubs, and they were always "lets both go opposite directions" situations. I have lost a bag of marshmellows to a Black Bear inside our tent cabin in Yosemite...with the wife saying "Do something!"....yea, right. BTW, I didn't know the son brought the marshmellows...

I have also see Grizzly in Montana, not close but close enough. If you are in the Montana or Alaska outback, go prepared, a Brown Bear will not be a congienal as a Black Bear, go prepared.

I will be in Glacier National Park next month...

Mickey

KG6BWS

Explorer
Sure ya do..... :coffee:
Every weekend huh. just not this last weekend or the weekend before that...

Yes actually. I have mobile internet in my truck. I can get on here and see what kind of bull honkey youre spouting whenever I feel like it. :sombrero:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
must not get to far if your getting cell service for your internet in your truck. As for knowledge of animals I will put my knowledge over yours any time. California Dept of fish and game does...

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
THat must be why DFG and our game management programs are so damn useless.....

hahaha yeah because they keep having to make laws to make the yuppies happy... Also having to post articles to remind city campers that bears and rattlesnakes are dangerous and to not feed the wildlife...

All I have to do is report on the eastern Tehama deer migration as well as report on other wildlife to the guys that have to write the useless articles for the city yuppies.

DFG does what they can. besides having to deal with the ridiculous red tape that is pushed on them from the same yuppies that read the articles. it is far from a perfect system but with more paper pushers than knowledgeable individuals what can you expect.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
John101477,
I have lost a bag of marshmellows to a Black Bear inside our tent cabin in Yosemite...with the wife saying "Do something!"....yea, right. BTW, I didn't know the son brought the marshmellows...

Mickey

I forgot to comment on this lol. Thats hilarious. While I have encounter or seen the after effects of a mad bear. One of my most memorable Black Bear encounters was at Mt. Shasta. I had set up a cot outside while on a family outing. during the night I was woken up by a bear eating jelly filled powder sugar donuts about 3 ft from me. Now I am kind of a heavy sleeper/snorer but that bear was not even worried about me until I stopped snoring, then he sniffed my hair and about tore our camp apart trying to get away.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Do you think we should get a third thread going on this topic so we could do best 2 out of 3? :lurk::beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle