Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOguy

Explorer
I actually provided a link to an Alaska Fish and Game website to support my point on Moose-related injuries for people. Is that the "garbage" you were referring to?

You and a few others on this thread keep posting so many derisive comments one after another, I honestly can't remember what it is you're mad about.
maybe if I go to Alaska I will have to get me one of their nice moose for a pet.

Longrange308

Adventurer
How many here live in grizzly territory?

I don't know about you, but I don't camp where I live.. I mean, I haven't setup a tent in my backyard since I was maybe 10 years old. I typically travel great distances to where I want to explore, sometimes not.

I do not live in Grizzly territory, but I sure as hell do visit it, as Im sure many others here do as well. Where I live though, I do have to worry about wolves, moose and two legged creatures known as meth-heads.. I choose to carry, and actually, knowing that you feel that I am some sort of vigilante that wants to just kill someone/something just to get my jollies, then that makes me happy because you couldn't be more wrong.

mezmochill

Is outside
You can make an argument for grizzly territory, but methods are questionable.

Do you sleep outside in grizzly territory?

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
How many here live in grizzly territory?

Wilderness meth head attacks in Idaho?

Wolf attacks?

When was the last moose killed in self defense?

14,238 in grizzly land

Never trust a meth head, esp in Idaho. Them b-tches be crazy

429 wolf attacks destroyed 3 battleships in 4 months

About 28 minutes ago someone had to karate chop a moose to death when it tried to eat him and his 3 month old child.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I live, work, and play in bear country; brown bear/grizzly as well as black bear. The threat of an encounter is very real here. Four people have been mauled in my immediate area since June of this year. Two 900lb+ brown bear were killed within 10 miles of my home cabin during the spring hunt. I've encountered 6 black bear and 5 brownies since May. Two nights ago while out for a spot and stalk moose hunt, a friend and I crossed paths with hours old brown bear sign in the form of tracks, salmon carcass piles, and hair rubs.

Regarding moose, they are also a very real and present threat here. I see moose nearly every day; most are cows with calves. They frequent my yard and it's a weekly occurrence that they feed within 10 feet of my kitchen window. I literally must check before I go outside to avoid bumping into them. I've had multiple encounters just walking from the cabin to my Jeep.

All that being said, I'm not afraid of either critter. I respect them and do my part to avoid an encounter that would leave either party injured. I do opt to carry a weapon every time I go in the field; which is daily. Bear spray and awareness have their place, but I feel better carrying a firearm to use if needed. As far as camping goes, I won't camp in a soft-sided shelter during the spring and summer months. I've heard way too many horror stories. No problem during the winter months in a wall tent or under a tarp, but not until the bears are sound asleep...

Met this guy early spring along a river flat. I was out for a stroll and he was looking to gain some weight after a long winter's nap!

bear resize.jpg

ArcticBus

Observer
Since I live north a few hundred miles from Jerry Ward , Yes I do carry a gun with me. Bears are more equipped to kill in their natural capacity so I like to even the playing field

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I just carry lemonade in my multicolored camelback. Just hose them down with lemonade. No worries. If that doesn't work I just wave my flag vigorously so it makes a noise which make them runaway.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

mezmochill

Is outside
I live, work, and play in bear country; brown bear/grizzly as well as black bear. The threat of an encounter is very real here. Four people have been mauled in my immediate area since June of this year. Two 900lb+ brown bear were killed within 10 miles of my home cabin during the spring hunt. I've encountered 6 black bear and 5 brownies since May. Two nights ago while out for a spot and stalk moose hunt, a friend and I crossed paths with hours old brown bear sign in the form of tracks, salmon carcass piles, and hair rubs.

Regarding moose, they are also a very real and present threat here. I see moose nearly every day; most are cows with calves. They frequent my yard and it's a weekly occurrence that they feed within 10 feet of my kitchen window. I literally must check before I go outside to avoid bumping into them. I've had multiple encounters just walking from the cabin to my Jeep.

All that being said, I'm not afraid of either critter. I respect them and do my part to avoid an encounter that would leave either party injured. I do opt to carry a weapon every time I go in the field; which is daily. Bear spray and awareness have their place, but I feel better carrying a firearm to use if needed. As far as camping goes, I won't camp in a soft-sided shelter during the spring and summer months. I've heard way too many horror stories. No problem during the winter months in a wall tent or under a tarp, but not until the bears are sound asleep...

Met this guy early spring along a river flat. I was out for a stroll and he was looking to gain some weight after a long winter's nap!

View attachment 306814

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle