Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusmw

Never leave home without a few resources

Whether going to work, the field, a trip, or the woods I have a sidearm with me and a long gun in the truck. I also carry a fire extinguisher, axe, first aid kit and spare tire in our trucks and Jeep. I also wear my seatbelt .

I am prepared should something happen that requires a resouce such those listed above. I have never needed the fire extinguisher or my weapon but have used my axe, FAK, and spare on different occasions. I consider all of these resources that are ready and
available if needed. I dont expect to have an auto accident but still wear my seatbelt all the time, same goes for my sidearm.
All of us have different ideas regarding the tools and resources we carry, I belive each persons needs are different so if you dont feel
the need to carry that is totally your call. Please don't judge my views and I wont judge yours.

I dont put myself in situations that would raise exposure to harm but I also dont live under a shell. No one outside of my family knows I carry and I am ever vigilant to my surroundings. We must all be responsible for ourselves and our families and I take thar responsibility seriously.

See you inthe field or the bush and travel safe!

doug720

Expedition Leader
About 6 years ago, my family and I went to an area our group camps at near Ridgecrest Ca in the Mojave desert for New Years. The location is well off the paved road, away from other camp sites and we have used it for many years for our off road motorcycle clubs many outings.

We always head out the day after Christmas and most times, we were the first of the group. When we arrived, it was after 11 PM and we saw one other camper was parked about 100 feet away. The lights were off, but it looked like one of our members campers, so we parked. We are in a class A motorhome towing a 20' box trailer so I was trying not to disturb the campers. We were tired and I can set the jacks without going outside, so we were in bed in 15 minutes and soon asleep...

All of sudden we are awakened by bang, bang, bang, that sounds like it is right outside of our windows! I jump up, my daughter is crying, the dogs are barking and I look out the window. Outside our motorhome is some crazy looking guy with a shotgun and big bottle of alcohol yelling for us to get the furk off his property! I start to ask him if he was with our club, and he starts shooting again and yelling to leave! He will not listen and keeps yelling!

I tell him we will leave and try to explain it will take a few minutes, but we will leave, he shoots again! My wife and daughter are freaking out, I think I should grab pistol, but what would that do? He has a shoot gun and we are inside a fiberglass box. I tell him we are leaving and he yells to hurry the furk up!

In a couple of minutes, we start up and drive away.

We get a couple of miles away and call the cops and tell them what happened. They send a couple of cars out to the site. What they found was a mobile meth lab and arrested the 3 people there! The guy shooting was charged with brandishing a weapon and assault with a deadly weapon, but this was reduced to a some kind of minor offense and was he sentenced to 3 years.

You never know what you will find when you are out and alone. I'm glad I had my gun, but in this case, firing it would have put us all at serious risk. Be careful!

Doug

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'll usually carry a little something with me when hiking, but it depends on the situation. For a populated area like a national park or other well traveled site it is a little pocket-pistol in my backpack. When we've done some longer and more remote trips far from pavement or even dirt roads (BLM lands bordering on Indian lands for instance) I'll wear a full sized pistol visibly on my hip. All depends on the situation.

soul

Observer
"risk of being killed by my 20 year old pocket knife"
The reality is, the risk of killing someone is much higher in driving a car than owning a gun. Its simple not used that frequently and as openly as a car. If basic firearm rules are practiced to the point of becoming an habit, the risk is less than cutting yourself with kitchen knife when cooking.

Due to the convoluted laws in California cannot carry it to camping. But do I need it really? Think about it, even though am physically fit am short and weigh less than 140lb. I have a great companion and wife, and lovely kids. In my camping the chance of coming across a bad guy is remote, but if it happens I will be in one of the weakest and most vulnerable situations of my life. In my view protecting self and loved ones is biological need, and expecting nothing to happen ever based on nothing has happened till now is very naïve.

Malamute

Observer
I carry when out, always. Where I live now its more for bears, when I lived in Az, it was more for 2 legged predators.

jkce72

Observer
I always have a firearm when I'm in the woods just in case. When I was younger I didn't, but now that I have a family I do. When we go into the backcountry I'll have a pistol on my belt. If were in a more populated area It will be in the truck. I'll usually bring a 10MM and a 12g.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Firearms.....

For over 40 yrs. I have never been very far away from a fire arm..... ever. To be without one would feel naked..... then again that would be pretty scary in itself :Wow1: mjmcdowell

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I'll usually carry a little something with me when hiking, but it depends on the situation. For a populated area like a national park or other well traveled site it is a little pocket-pistol in my backpack. When we've done some longer and more remote trips far from pavement or even dirt roads (BLM lands bordering on Indian lands for instance) I'll wear a full sized pistol visibly on my hip. All depends on the situation.

gotta watch out for those injuns...right

stevo

Observer
Yes, I carry a gun!

Howdy all,
Well, although I've never been "accosted" by a "raiding party" or any "injuns" for that matter, I have had a few incidents with drunken "white men". I can tell you that a .45 on your hip does wonders to change the odds to your favor (both psychologically and physically). The message sent and understood was "Don't ******* with me!" Especially if you"re a family man with small kids with you.
Cheers, Stevo

rgallant

Adventurer
Interesting thread I carry a shotgun, but it is more of just in case of turning a corner while fishing and being way to close to a bear, never needed to use it but it is there and ready. Also handy if actually breakdown and have to supplement my food. As to the issues with other campers that is why I stay very far away from public campsites, too many idiots. Grow op concerns are pretty big up here in BC too, so far I have not run into any, but they tend to be walk in affairs well off any trails.

Kinda sad how unruly the outdoors have become.

zimm

Expedition Leader
While I would hate to step on someone right to express themselves, when that opinion is based on ignorance and that ignorance is allowed to vote, then it is subject to judgment. The 2nd amendment is just as pertinent now as it was when it was written, maybe more so. Do you really think our government has our best interest in mind? Do you really think that it is "okay" to relinquish our rights in the name of entitlements and supposed personal safety? The fall of the 2nd amendment is sure to precede the fall of the 1st 3rd and 4th with the 5th, 6th, and 14th to follow.

actually its not nearly as pertinent now as it was when it was written.

in the case of defending ones self, we now have inordinately large police forces, and standing army. statistically speaking, the frontier is closed and you are now much safer not owning a gun than owning one.

in the case of needing to revolt, we now have inordinately large police forces, and standing army. there a %0.00 chance of there ever being any sustained revolt in the US.

either way, in theory or practice, the second amendments necessity isnt what it used to be. i hope its here to say mind you, as id rather die trying, even if a weapon increased my risk of dying.

ironically, using the term "ignorance is allowed to vote" shows an astounding bit of ignorance as to what the second amendment was intended to protect. as if there should be some sort of governmental intervention assessing what type of individual thought is "ignorant", and allowances or dis-allowances made in the ability to vote based on it.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
actually its not nearly as pertinent now as it was when it was written.

in the case of defending ones self, we now have inordinately large police forces, and standing army. statistically speaking, the frontier is closed and you are now much safer not owning a gun than owning one.

That might be true if you live in an area where the 'inordinately large police forces' are close at hand, but where I live (which is, ironically 600' outside a city of 18,000), sheriff's response is likely to be 12-20 minutes, depending on time of day, and how busy the (typically 4) deputies on duty in my county are (this from a close friend who is a deputy). His advice: you'd better be able to take care of yourself until help gets there, which can be a very long time in a real emergency. That would apply even more if you are off road somewhere where the nearest town is 30 minutes (perhaps much more) away, and it could take some time for help to find you. As any cop will tell you, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away (sometimes quite a few minutes away).

Last edited:

tacksman

Observer
If I'm out, I'm usually remote. That typically means help isn't right away. Carrying in the backwoods is just good practice as it can be used for many things, self defense to signaling. Better to error on the side of caution. Like Warn says "Go prepared".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78