Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
so now we are to rely on some electronic gizmo to save our bacon. for heavens sake learn how to take care of yourself. all this search and rescue is seriously taxing rural counties. the I got lost because the GPS on my smart phone said to go this way has to end(won't because of our collective mentality nowadays). to say I do not need to carry a firearm because I can call for protection is ridiculous. when seconds count, help is minutes, hours, or days away. you now what, if your attitude and main plan is I can call for help on my smart phone or any other gizmo, is naïve and greedy. please stay out of the lightly populated rural counties. you are taking what little money they have for you to be stupid. sorry but I am sick of it. I travel to lightly populated areas and on the local news it's almost a constant though out the summer months. city slickers getting into trouble and having huge search and rescue operations going on. have the tools on hand to handle any situation you might get into, without calling for help. 40 years ago who were you going to call, nobody. boy I can feel the flogging already, begin the flogging. highdesertranger

MOguy

Explorer
so now we are to rely on some electronic gizmo to save our bacon. for heavens sake learn how to take care of yourself. all this search and rescue is seriously taxing rural counties. the I got lost because the GPS on my smart phone said to go this way has to end(won't because of our collective mentality nowadays). to say I do not need to carry a firearm because I can call for protection is ridiculous. when seconds count, help is minutes, hours, or days away. you now what, if your attitude and main plan is I can call for help on my smart phone or any other gizmo, is naïve and greedy. please stay out of the lightly populated rural counties. you are taking what little money they have for you to be stupid. sorry but I am sick of it. I travel to lightly populated areas and on the local news it's almost a constant though out the summer months. city slickers getting into trouble and having huge search and rescue operations going on. have the tools on hand to handle any situation you might get into, without calling for help. 40 years ago who were you going to call, nobody. boy I can feel the flogging already, begin the flogging. highdesertranger

Not my rural county. We don't vote for a tax increase for ANYTHING!!!!!

Many rural counties have volunteer fire fighters. They aren't even properly equipped or trained to fight fires, let alone search and rescue.
Every year before deer hunting season I call forestry (federal) to see what roads will be closed to vehicle traffic. I give the section I am asking about and the forestry road number and even then many of the rangers can't find the road even on a map. As far as using a firearm for signaling? Much of the year there is some sort of hunting season for something, you can hunt hog all year round. If somebody heard a gun shot they would think you were hunting and avoid the area because of safety and out of respect for your hunt. Carry a whistle.

Your smart phone, if it is getting a signal, has far more communications capabilities than probably most rural communities "Emergency Management Systems" do. If you get a signal and dial 911 there is no telling where that call will be answered, program the local Sheriffs number into your phone. Calling them directly is better than using 911 on a cell phone. Calling 911 may help but you on the map in some areas, in mine it is based on a grid system and address that is not very accurate. I won't help in the woods. If do hook into an area where a cell signal can be traced it may take time, but still may be worth a shot.

Keep in mind that rural communities don't have huge tax bases and not very much in the way of emergency response. If you venture out get a paper map and a compass, learn to use it. Let friends/family know where you are going and when you should be back, the more detail the better.

BUT I would still carry a firearm.

Sorry to go off track

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I have put in many days of scouting for elk through an area where I know there are black bears and cougars present without carrying a weapon, but it's also an area that sees little human presence and bears/cougars are wild enough to know that human scent means they go the other direction. I keep telling myself I will start carrying a can of bear mace but haven't yet, do your homework and you will learn it's far more effective than a sidearm. It's the areas where the animals get used to humans and their food that you need to worry about interaction. To be honest though, moose scare me more than anything else in the woods, they aren't scared of anything and will not get out of the way on the trail.

Animals attack humans for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it's because they get desensitized to human presence and loose all inhibition when it comes to 'confronting' us humans. Other times, it's the animal who has had little to no human interaction who ends up attacking a person (go read about the bear that fatally attacked Timothy Treadwell aka Grizzly Man).

As I've said numerous times now, I don't believe in carrying a firearm out in the woods because I'm "scared" of a cougar or bear attacking me...I carry a firearm because if a cougar or bear does attack me, I will likely have no one else around to help me.

As others have pointed out, people don't carry a first aid kit because they are afraid of getting injured nor do they carry a compass because they are afraid of getting lost....these are all tools to be used should the need arise. I'd much rather have these tools and not need them than not have these tools and need them.

Bear spray is a great tool as well, especially in thick woods where visibility is limited, but it has its limitations.

And while I haven't seen the exact statistics on this issue, I'm willing to bet money that you're a lot more likely to get attacked by a bear, cougar (some form of apex predator) than you are by a moose...just food for thought.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Animals attack humans for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it's because they get desensitized to human presence and loose all inhibition when it comes to 'confronting' us humans. Other times, it's the animal who has had little to no human interaction who ends up attacking a person (go read about the bear that fatally attacked Timothy Treadwell aka Grizzly Man).

As I've said numerous times now, I don't believe in carrying a firearm out in the woods because I'm "scared" of a cougar or bear attacking me...I carry a firearm because if a cougar or bear does attack me, I will likely have no one else around to help me.

As others have pointed out, people don't carry a first aid kit because they are afraid of getting injured nor do they carry a compass because they are afraid of getting lost....these are all tools to be used should the need arise. I'd much rather have these tools and not need them than not have these tools and need them.

Bear spray is a great tool as well, especially in thick woods where visibility is limited, but it has its limitations.

And while I haven't seen the exact statistics on this issue, I'm willing to bet money that you're a lot more likely to get attacked by a bear, cougar (some form of apex predator) than you are by a moose...just food for thought.

Now I understand why you never offered a response to my question of experience with brown bears.With your statement above I would say the zoo.

TheSurvivalist

You could say the same thing about wearing a seatbelt or owning a fire extinguisher or first aid kit. It's not about the likelihood of an animal attack, it's about what's at stake. I am not "consumed by fear" but I am aware of the risk, there is a difference. Having a firearm helps to mitigate that risk, the same way having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen helps to mitigate the risk of a grease fire.

Now, I've never had a grease fire, but I still keep an extinguisher near the stove. I've never had to point a weapon at anything other than a practice target, but that doesn't mean I'm going to leave it at home in the safe.

Awareness is a cognitive process, fear is an emotional one.

Perfectly stated.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

You obviously have little to no real life experience with being in the woods or you would actually sound a bit more intelligent in your response than you do. I can find moose living in the canyon less than a mile from my house and know many people who have had encounters with them, and we don't live in the middle of nowhere. I have seen more moose while hunting and fishing than bears by a large margin, 95% of the time a bear will be long gone before you ever even knew it was there, a moose on the other hand will almost never move unless it absolutely needs to.

Dalko43

Explorer
Now I understand why you never offered a response to my question of experience with brown bears.With your statement above I would say the zoo.

In previous posts, I've actually discussed some of my encounters with both black bear and brown bear out in the wild. I didn't respond to your earlier post because I've had already explained my stance on bear avoidance/protection and I wasn't inclined to bicker with someone else's point of view, as you seem so inclined to do.

Dalko43

Explorer
You obviously have little to no real life experience with being in the woods or you would actually sound a bit more intelligent in your response than you do. I can find moose living in the canyon less than a mile from my house and know many people who have had encounters with them, and we don't live in the middle of nowhere. I have seen more moose while hunting and fishing than bears by a large margin, 95% of the time a bear will be long gone before you ever even knew it was there, a moose on the other hand will almost never move unless it absolutely needs to.

I'm the one who lacks intelligence?

This coming from the guy who is more afraid of a moose than a cougar or bear? I don't hear too much about 'moose-avoidance' techniques or 'moose' spray...I know they're potentially dangerous to humans (just like a lot of animals are), but avoiding them is fairly straightforward...just don't go near them.

MOguy

Explorer

This coming from the guy who is more afraid of a moose than a cougar or bear? I don't hear too much about 'moose-avoidance' techniques or 'moose' spray...I know they're potentially dangerous to humans (just like a lot of animals are), but avoiding them is fairly straightforward...just don't go near them.

maybe not his intelligence, just your ignorance.

"In the Americas, moose injure more people than any other wild mammal and, worldwide, only hippopotamuses injure more.[86] When harassed or startled by people or in the presence of a dog, moose may charge."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I've had encounters with bear, but far more with moose. Just because moose are not predators doesn't mean they are not dangerous, in fact, many rangers will warn you about the dangers of moose. Trust me, you do not want to be anywhere near a cow moose with her calf present.

Colorado Moose Attack injures 2: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/20/us/colorado-moose-attack/index.html

Momma Moose doesn't care if you are in a big diesel truck either:

Moose "attack more people than bears and wolves combined ... In the Americas, moose injure more people than any other wild mammal and, worldwide, only hippopotamuses injure more. When harassed or startled by people or in the presence of a dog, moose may charge."

"Alaskan moose have been reported to successfully fend off attacks from black bears, brown bears and grizzlies. Moose have been known to stomp attacking wolves, which makes them less preferred as prey to the wolves. Moose are fully capable of killing bears and wolves."

Yeah, I'm not screwing with a moose.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Again, you obviously have no real world experience with wild animals, better stick with camping in your backyard and going to the petting zoo for your expedition adventures....

Dalko43

Explorer
maybe not his intelligence, just your ignorance.

"In the Americas, moose injure more people than any other wild mammal and, worldwide, only hippopotamuses injure more.[86] When harassed or startled by people or in the presence of a dog, moose may charge."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose

Again, you obviously have no real world experience with wild animals, better stick with camping in your backyard and going to the petting zoo for your expedition adventures....

You should both perhaps do some of your own research rather than rely on a poorly-cited wikipedia article.

If you check out Alaska's Fish and Game website, you'd see that the reason why more people are injured by Moose than by bear is because of Moose-vehicle collisions:

Moose-vehicle collisions are the biggest way people get hurt by moose. Secondarily, people can be hurt when moose charge, stomp and kick to protect themselves.

from: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=livewith.moose

I guess by that same logic, we should also consider white-tail deer more dangerous than bear, wolf and cougar because technically they cause more injuries to humans than all of those predators combined?

Like I said, Moose certainly have the potential to be dangerous, but generally speaking, if you give them their space they'll just as soon leave you alone....where as cougar, wolf, bear have been known to stalk, chase and kill humans.

Car collisions aside, I'd much rather be confronted by a Moose while hiking than a bear, cougar or wolf.

MOguy

Explorer
You should both perhaps do some of your own research rather than rely on a poorly-cited wikipedia article.

If you check out Alaska's Fish and Game website, you'd see that the reason why more people are injured by Moose than by bear is because of Moose-vehicle collisions:

from: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=livewith.moose

I guess by that same logic, we should also consider white-tail deer more dangerous than bear, wolf and cougar because technically they cause more injuries to humans than all of those predators combined?

Like I said, Moose certainly have the potential to be dangerous, but generally speaking, if you give them their space they'll just as soon leave you alone....where as cougar, wolf, bear have been known to stalk, chase and kill humans.

Car collisions aside, I'd much rather be confronted by a Moose while hiking than a bear, cougar or wolf.
I didn't realize we were only talking about Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78