Do you guys have a piece of legendary gear?

Benjisan

Observer
I mean a piece of outdoor gear that has been with you for years and never failed you and you would never leave home without?

The only thing I owned that would even remotely come close was my old synthetic blanket from the military. That thing was so soft, warm, and versatile. It was great for the summer, packed down small, and made a great pillow...just an awesome piece of gear. In the military we called this type of blanket a woobie...I kid you not. You'd hear grown men armed with automatic weapons saying things like, "Ah man, I can't find my woobie!" Man I miss that thing.

Anyway, do you guys have a legendary piece of gear?

Bighead

Adventurer
Benjisan said:
I mean a piece of outdoor gear that has been with you for years and never failed you and you would never leave home without?

The only thing I owned that would even remotely come close was my old synthetic blanket from the military. That thing was so soft, warm, and versatile. It was great for the summer, packed down small, and made a great pillow...just an awesome piece of gear. In the military we called this type of blanket a woobie...I kid you not. You'd hear grown men armed with automatic weapons saying things like, "Ah man, I can't find my woobie!" Man I miss that thing.

Anyway, do you guys have a legendary piece of gear?
X2 for the poncho liner.

mightymike

Adventurer
I'd have to say my Leatherman tool. It's been with me for about 15 years, before there were a lot of other "multi-tools" around. It's with me at work every day and every adventure (and misadventure) I've been on since I've had it. I've got a small Gerber pocketknife that is a close second.

flywgn

Explorer
I believe my "Tool, entrenching" has been with us for 47 years. Does that qualify as 'lengendary'? :archaeolo

We also have a mess kit knife that has been sharpened so much that the blade is now only 7/16ths width instead of the 7/8ths. We like those knives so much that we look for them in flea markets and have managed to add a couple to mine. Wonderful carbon steel.

Allen R

Scott Brady

Founder
Awesome thread idea :D

I would say the first piece of gear that comes to mind is my Everest down sleeping bag. My dad gave it to me at least ten years ago, and he must have had it another ten before that. It is rectangular, still has great loft and has been with me everywhere, including Africa.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Still using the sleeping bag my folks bought me when I was like 10 and going to camp. Have a set that zip togher when the wife and I camp but if I am solo I take my 30 year old bag.

I also have the pup tent my folks used in the early 60's, possibly the late 50's. They Rode with the Highway Men motor cycle club Detroit.

Still in pretty good shape.

Ohhh hell this is cool. Here is a picture of my mom 4 years before I was born, the tent and my dads 1961 69RS 600 BMW. These were slides my sister scanned and cleaned up.

njtaco

Explorer
We still use my Grandparent's Camp Kitchen. Grandpa made it himself, dimentions to fit a 1966 VW station wagon. That makes it a couple of years older than I am, and in nearly continuous use since new. Most of the time, my wife "makes" me bring it whether we are tenting or trailer camping, because it is so handy. Everything we need, easily at hand. I only complain at its weight, when loaded.

kd_walmsley

Observer
Esbit stove and heat tabs. They can make the difference between a “No ****, there I was!” story and a dust-off/life flight. Times three on the poncho liner when combined with poncho. 10 meters of 550 cord has a multitude of uses. These are all high value items for me and have a place in all my vehicles. Any object that works unfailingly for decades in a high-risk environment is a must have.

offroadchef

Adventurer
njtaco said:
We still use my Grandparent's Camp Kitchen. Grandpa made it himself, dimentions to fit a 1966 VW station wagon. That makes it a couple of years older than I am, and in nearly continuous use since new. Most of the time, my wife "makes" me bring it whether we are tenting or trailer camping, because it is so handy. Everything we need, easily at hand. I only complain at its weight, when loaded.

Are there any pics to see?

Markus

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'd have to say my legendary piece of gear is my Eureka! Timberline two person tent.

When I was 16, I got my first job and that tent was the first thing I ever bought with a legal paycheck.

I've carried that tent hundreds of miles through AZ and NM and I take it on just about every camping trip I go on. I can set it up in the dark, the rain, or the wind. The seams have never leaked and the zippers have never jammed.

One of these days I'm going to buy the 4 person Outfitter model.

gjackson

FRGS
Kelly kettle. Works like a champ and is my friend every morning (except the ones where Scott has his crazy volcano stove going!)

cheers

I don't know if I've been doing this long enough to have legendary gear, but for me, it's a pair of Red Wing steel toe boots, all leather, with heavy nylon over the heel and steel toe wear areas. I've only had them about ten years, but they are far and away my favorite footwear, once they were broken in and the blisters healed. I don't know how many times they've saved me from sprained or broken ankles--the boot comes up about six inches over my ankle.

Now, with molded inserts, they're also the most comfortable footwear I have for a long day, whether it's standing around in Nevada for 14 hours in the desert heat, muddy sandy hiking in Moab, light snow in the mountains, working in the garage, airplane flights, or just wearing them to work. I originally got them for surveying in Alaska, soaked them in mink oil and they were essentially waterproof. Theyre due for another soaking.

-Sean

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I've got to say that it would be my trusty Optimus 99. I bought it when I was 16 for my first climb of Mt. Kenya (gulp, that's 32 years ago...dang I'm getting old). I have used this stove and self contained cooking pot on every foot bound back country trip I have taken. I guess I'll have to be buried with it :hehe:

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Mine would have to be my Ka-bar, USMC fighting knife... It traveled with me to every clime and place... Pictures to follow.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
For me its my Lowe Alpine Contour IV internal frame pack. I had it for about 10 years and it is awesome. Tons of adjustability, huge carrying capacity (more then you really need alot of the time), and uber durable. I'm planning on keeping it for a really long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78