Do You Keep A Backup/Emergany Kit?

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Hono - thanks for the note re sarcasm - I thought you might be serious about the space blanket. For me, they've trapped moisture inside, and that makes whatever insulation you have wet, especially down, and that makes everything much worse. But some people seem to have success with them as bags. Maybe in drier climates?

I completely agree about testing the gear. I'm OK if my plan 'A' has some untested components, I mean that's part of how you test it. But I do not like having my plan 'B' depending on untested gear, or not having a plan 'B'.

Also can relate to the "gear collecting" mindset. Not that it's bad, I love to collect tools, but for an emergency kit they're means to and end. When putting kits together, I try to prioritize what I need to get done, then sort out what I need to have or do to get that. For winter travel, I prioritize clothing, shelter and communications first and in that order. These are things that if I have them, I'm in good shape, I'll survive. If I don't, I'm in trouble, and might not. For clothing, it's coat/hat and warm boots, then gloves. For shelter, I need protection from wind, water and water vapor, and insulation.

The next level down are water, aids in getting un-stuck, and maybe food next. If I have my first priority, I'm going to be OK with or without these things, but could be in rough shape if it takes a while to be found, or if I make some mistakes. As far as getting unstuck goes, there's only so much you can do on your own, depending on where you land. Agree that a shovel is a good thing, and a metal one, not plastic. But I'd put a tow strap before a full sized shovel, based on experience. For my truck/tires, I don't carry chains. I'm running 265/75R16's with pretty aggressive tread. I've never been stuck in the snow for lack of traction w/ 4wd and decent tires. The problem is, if the snow is deep, is that you can dig down and bury the truck down to the frame in snow. Short distance to go, shovel is your friend. Long distance to go it just sucks, especially when it's cold and snowing and you're tired...hence the backup plan of communications and keeping warm.

Off-topic, but along those lines....I'd much rather be in a 2wd car, either rear or front wheel drive, with real snow tires than any 4x4 made with summer or all season tires in the snow. I am in no way kidding or exaggerating, and it's based on many seasons of driving in the stuff, and me being dumb enough to have tried each combination of these at least twice.

I really like the idea of the hand warmers. I'm going to update my kit to include them...it is tough when you're warm, but your fingers are too cold to do what you want them to. I might even add my little esbit stove, some tabs, and some coca mix and water. That might even make being stuck in the snow fun. :)

One item I used to carry when I'd ride along in a friend's light plane was a folded up piece of safety orange ripstop nylon. Maybe 6' x 12', that I bought from joanne fabrics. It folded up in a jacket pocket and didn't take up much more room than a hankie. I carried it after realizing just how hard it is to see stuff from a plane. Today I'd be carrying more if I were in a light plane, a pocket strobe light for sure...and now that I think about it, carrying one of those wouldn't be a bad idea for winter, either.

Lots of good ideas on here. I may add road-flares again. A few fit great in a plastic stick welding carrier. Flares are a great fire starter and short term signal, but a down side I haven't seem mentioned much is that they do or can go bad with time.

Tom

Eric3187

Adventurer
Nothing is currently in my van as im not driving further than 5 miles from my house each day and i can walk home if needed. but when i go out on adventures this is a basic run down

2 box of strike anywhere matches
2 bic lighters
dryer lint coated in wax
compass
gerber multi tool (leatherman basically)
a small first aid kit, various band aid types, neosporin, butterfly bandages, guaze roll, tape, alcohol swab packets, pain killers, nail clippers and tweezers)
MSR pocket rocket stove and 2 small fuel cans
a stainless steel cup that can be used on the ^ stove
LED headlamp
2 cheap LED flash lights
1 pack of AAA batteries for headlamp and flash lights
blue/grey tarp
about 50ft of cord
MSR water filter pump
Nalgene bottle
micro fiber towel
and a small wool blanket.

all that will fit in a small backpack i have. to keep everything organized, i group stuff together in the heavyduty(thicker) zip lock bags.

Arclight

SAR guy
This is a statement I greatly agree with. There is a HUGE amount of useful items that can easily be had on a vehicle to aid in a safe recovery and it is shelter you know you have.

Not sure about anyone else but when I am heading into the woods I keep an AR7 with 3 loaded mags plus 1 or 2 boxes of ammo in sealed plastic bags with it. I keep that right next to my kit to grab quickly should the need be there. That is 25 rounds in the gun, plus another 50 to 100 more. Plus the .45 which is my daily carry with a spare mag and a box of 50 in my console. I do not include that in the list for my kit though because it is something that is on me all the time.

Precision,

I don't know if you've seen it already, but Chiappa is coming out with a remake of the M6 survival rifle that USAF pilots used to carry. Except that it will be available in 22LR/12GA or 22LR/20ga. Check out;

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2673

I called them, and it's supposed to be shipping in the next month or so. One nice thing about 12GA, is that you can also get flares that will work in it.

Arclight

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Precision,

I don't know if you've seen it already, but Chiappa is coming out with a remake of the M6 survival rifle that USAF pilots used to carry. Except that it will be available in 22LR/12GA or 22LR/20ga. Check out;

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2673

I called them, and it's supposed to be shipping in the next month or so. One nice thing about 12GA, is that you can also get flares that will work in it.

Arclight

I have always wanted an m6 scout.

The flare part would be nice for a 12ga version. I really wish they have a 410/22 version like the original. Having 410 for birds, 22 for small game, and 45lc anything else would be a really great combination.

I may need to still pick one up though. I would rather have that for a truck gun than my ar7, but I would rather have the ar7 as a backpacking gun than the m6.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
even though I am in so cal I still have an extensive first aid/survival kit, 2 cases of mres and sleeping bag in my truck at all times. when I am out on prospecting trips I carry 2 months worth of food over what I need for the trip just in case. this is canned food and dry food. I can always scare up some meat, know what I mean. highdesertranger

Arclight

SAR guy
even though I am in so cal I still have an extensive first aid/survival kit, 2 cases of mres and sleeping bag in my truck at all times. when I am out on prospecting trips I carry 2 months worth of food over what I need for the trip just in case. this is canned food and dry food. I can always scare up some meat, know what I mean. highdesertranger

I think I know what you mean:

hills_have_eyes.jpg

Arclight

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Hey guys thought this would be a good place to ask. I'm doing a 1550 medical kit build up, but I am wanting to use the trekpak organizer and the pelican ems kit lid organizer only. I was just putting out a feeler if anyone would want to split the cost/basically buy the padded organizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12