Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Just be sure to take the debate to Fireside or elsewhere:

How else can you hit 2000 posts in this thread unless it gets hijacked with an inane web-argument about skinny vs wide tires that has been debated to death since the birth of this flippin' forum.

Seriously... you need to think about these things David. It's not like there's anything else you can do to that poor truck.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
How else can you hit 2000 posts in this thread unless it gets hijacked with an inane web-argument about skinny vs wide tires that has been debated to death since the birth of this flippin' forum.

Seriously... you need to think about these things David. It's not like there's anything else you can do to that poor truck.

Funny_Pictures_Star-Wars_Lack_of_Faith-1.jpg

LOL... just wait. I'm way behind on photos and documentation of the last several mad wrenching weekends

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Funny_Pictures_Star-Wars_Lack_of_Faith-1.jpg

LOL... just wait. I'm way behind on photos and documentation of the last several mad wrenching weekends

That's right -- Ship-fitters Disease.

Hey! Next time threaten to pull this thread when someone gives you some interweb sas-talk about how, e.g., the skinny tires you've been running for the last couple years don't work, based on their physics and math calculations of course. That always gets their panties in a knot!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

Hey! Next time threaten to pull this thread when someone gives you some interweb sas-talk about how, e.g., the skinny tires you've been running for the last couple years don't work, based on their physics and math calculations of course. That always gets their panties in a knot!

Yes, I have it bad and no cure in sight.

That's the nice thing about owning my own enthusiast website. If I were to pull the plug here all my tech and photos are backed up and then some. Not that I would do that, but I could if someone gets out of line.

;)

If Scott's article and assertions aren't accurate then why would you remove your posts that were intended to correct the previously documented erroneous information? If your citation is accurate and based on "physics and math" then why delete the truth? That just doesn't make sense... now I'm left with even more questions about the corrective information you submitted and only recently removed to relieve of us the burden of unnecessary worry.

I declare the "skinny vs. wide" debate reopened once again with this fleeting glimpse of accurate information now based on physics and math. Please show your work for full credit...

I ment he need not worry about me turning it into a discussion on why narrow tires are good, not to relieve you of the burden of unnecessary worry. I pulled the information because it was not desired. As evedent by the below. No use in trying to talk to someone who's cup is already full.

I never said they don't work. I said the statements on Expedition West site were incorrect. You can still get to the right answer with the wrong reasoning.

Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I ment he need not worry about me turning it into a discussion on why narrow tires are good, not to relieve you of the burden of unnecessary worry. I pulled the information because it was not desired. As evedent by the below. No use in trying to talk to someone who's cup is already full.

I never said they don't work. I said the statements on Expedition West site were incorrect. You can still get to the right answer with the wrong reasoning.

Eeheeh.....that what I told my wife!2

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Really?

Here's a good read for you.

http://www.performancesimulations.com/fact-or-fiction-tires-1.htm

Let's see your data...

...in another thread.

Really, you're gonna keep posting up stuff here and tell me to take my answers to another thread? Real simple, here's the bad assumption that everything else in that link is based on.

"Ok, as stated already, Avon did not measure the contact patch size directly. However, it is probably accurate enough for our purposes to calculate the contact patch size by imagining the tire is a cylinder and penetrates the ground plane by the same depth as the vertical deflection that was measured on the tire tester. Agree? After all, any part of tire a that would be "underground" must be squashed against the ground and be part of the contact patch."

trump

Adventurist
Really, you're gonna keep posting up stuff here and tell me to take my answers to another thread? Real simple, here's the bad assumption that everything else in that link is based on.

"Ok, as stated already, Avon did not measure the contact patch size directly. However, it is probably accurate enough for our purposes to calculate the contact patch size by imagining the tire is a cylinder and penetrates the ground plane by the same depth as the vertical deflection that was measured on the tire tester. Agree? After all, any part of tire a that would be "underground" must be squashed against the ground and be part of the contact patch."

No, I'm going to show you what data looks like vs theory, the latter of which is all you've offered on the topic. You're casting stones at others reasoning skills without backing up your argument. But all of this is for another place... start the thread. I guarantee you'll have a nice debate.

No, I'm going to show you what data looks like vs theory, the latter of which is all you've offered on the topic. You're casting stones at others reasoning skills without backing up your argument. But all of this is for another place... start the thread. I guarantee you'll have a nice debate.

Data? You mean where someone took someone elses data and manipulated it completely ignoring the deformation of the tire to support a predetermined conclusion? Ya', this is why I such a 'debate' is fruitless.

bat

Explorer
Just be sure to take the debate to Fireside or elsewhere
How am I to know when Dave changes something on his truck when all I hear is blah blah blah and more blah about tires :)

barlowrs

Explorer
A few pics before you had to evacuate. Hope everything came out of the bed! (Hope you don't mind me posting them in here, figured it would get the thread back on track and away from the age old tire debate. Let me know if you want me to remove them)

DSC_1242.jpg

DSC_1243.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Awesome pics Robert. Too bad the kiddo got sick in the middle of the night but what can you do. It was a nice evening, glad we were able to make it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle