Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

ExpoMike

Here's a couple more pics. BTW, the rig has turned out great. We love our Kamparoo trailer but let me tell you, this would be my next choice if was doing it all over again. Great job!

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
First Trip Feedback

We were very impressed by the versatility of the FlipPac on this trip - it felt lightweight even with all our gear and unlike my old rack/RTT system I never once felt top heavy when off camber.

In camp, it is a dream as we now have shelter from the wind/weather to cook and eat if we wish AND privacy for changing and restroom activities with room to stand up, even for my 6'4 frame. We also learned that it does very well in gusty, high wind situations. It is really nice to finally have a real "expedition camper" that we can tackle most any trail with AND live in comfort once we get to our destination.

The shell holds ALL of our gear and then some and we had very little other than our jackets up front in the cab with us. On previous trips with our old system we had quite a bit of "gear creep" and disorder in the cab which drove me nuts - now there is room for most anything we could imagine, protected from the weather and theft, in the back ;)

The next big interior mods will be the kitchen side (still trying to decide just how much I do or don't really need there since I prefer to cook outside tailgate style) and the cargo deck so I can maximize the full potential of the upper 50% of the interior of the shell when closed - lots of cubic inches there for chairs, tables, firewood etc.

Last edited:

Big Silver

Several years ago I was camping near Beatty Nv and it had been very cold, low 20's so we camped with the top closed and tent stowed. Close quarters but much warmer. We woke up to 3" of snow covering the desert. I had tried camping in the low 20's before using foil coated bubble wrap insulation kit, cut and taped to fit inside the Flip Pac tent and used a Zode air to air tent heater plugged into the shell window. Used a truck tire step on the rear wheel to support the propane bottle It worked fair but it was a pain to set up. Anyway I do not belive you would have a problem with the Flip Pac in the snow if you had the storm fly installed.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The rain fly is VERY heavy duty, snow should be no problem. AT has a nice heater that can be installed as well :drool:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Great work mate....always good to read up what you do with your truck as future inspiration and ideas .

Im suprised no ones made or sold the flip pack in Australia for the hilux's given how popular the trucks are here and how large our country is to tour and explore, this would be great accessory.

On the subject of thye flip pack.....why is it they flip forward and not flip backward behind the vehicle and act as a shade/cover? Im guessing it to use as little space as possible but would be good if it had a rear flip option IMO.

keep up the reports mate, we do appreciate them :wings:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Great job as usual. Dave have you considered mounting a fold up shelf on the inside of your tire carrier? Great place to set the stove and other items and one less table to pack around. It would also add to your counter space (Tailgate).

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Rain Report

Well, we have been having some real rain storms here in SoCal as of late... :snorkel:

So, how did the FlipPac do when on the road as far as the bed/shell seal, back window/tailgate seal, and the "flip seal" you ask???

Here is my no holds barred evaluation:

It sealed out about 99% of the torrential downpours that it has seen in the last week or so :)

Problem areas?

Well, for starters, the composite bed is near impossible to seal from the sides due to the numerous holes and the storage boxes - despite my best attempts at a detailed sealing, these areas get some water into the bed when driving through 1+ feet of water at 15-20 mph. Go figure.

Not alot of water mind you, but there was evidence of water ingress around the boxes, I could probably eliminate this by slowing down when driving through flooded areas.

The only other issue I could see was a small amount around that rear window/top of tailgate area. No big deal, I'm talking drops vice gallons.

After a full post-storm inspection today, the topmost gasket on the flip portion of the shell was dry as a bone inside - including all bedding and the mattress - not a drop! Everything above the side storage boxes/fenderwells was dry as a bone, and the lower portion of the bed would have seen practically zero moisture had I not driven through deep water on the street at speed (my el cheapo attempt at undercarriage cleaning).

No leaking from the front of the bed/shell interface (most people with shells have issues there).

Overall, I am very impressed :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Harp

Adventurer
The east coast rain report

We have had some of the same in NC. Much more rain than usual and heavy blowing stuff. As for my report the same as Docs! A little coming in at the tailgate where the Flippac meets the truck at the window in back. I put a small rubber gasket on the inside as a temp. fix and no water now. not even in the front. When I installed I used 2 rows of gaskets on the truck rail and 1 row on the Flipac to land in between the 2 rows and it worked very well. The gasket on the top is doing very well as a seal but leaches black streaks like all rubber seals do. Only after a rain or being exposed to moisture for some time. It wipes off very easily especially on a nice heavy wax job. All told I am very happy with the seals and windows.

Marty

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
On the subject of thye flip pack.....why is it they flip forward and not flip backward behind the vehicle and act as a shade/cover? Im guessing it to use as little space as possible but would be good if it had a rear flip option IMO.

I believe they flip forward for a few reasons.

One, they need those struts when open - not so much for support since the torsion bar really takes 90% of the load but to keep it open especially when the wind blows.

Two, it is much easier to find a good spot to camp when the truck is smaller - opening over the back would nearly double your required space and this can be difficult on rough ground.

Three, the nice thing about opening forward is that if I am not level, or I decide I don't like my positioning for wind or shade or privacy, I can get in and drive a wee bit to make things right without closing it up! :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger