dodge 2500 as GLOBAL expedition rig?

I imagine maybe things like door handles and windshields etc. you might be able to find but major engine parts might pose an issues.
Funny, my experience has been the opposite. Could not find door handles outside the US for my T100 (tried in multiple countries) but many suspension and drive train components are shared with other vehicles like hilux or prados, so you can find those.

I plan to build my own utility bed and hard-sided popup camper that meets my personal needs as best as possible.

I'm giving it my best effort, but the harder I try the more I realize that the "perfect" truck dosen't exist. Its really all about informing myself as best I can to make the best compromise for me.

I haven't looked too hard, but it's one of those things that no matter what you bring; it will be the thing you don't bring that breaks. I don't believe there are too many abroad, but http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Travelin-Tortuga/ have been all over the world in their Dmax and haven't had problem with the truck that stopped them.

I don't blame you on the garage, as I have been working on my list of what I plan to bring and I am trying to keep it to the bare minimum, but it's hard when you have to plan for everything. It's a balance for sure.

Good luck with the decision and still enjoying the videos.

Jack
Thanks Jack.
You probably have the right attitude. Don't worry so much. If something happens and you need parts, you'll figure it out, right?
Enjoy your trip. I hope I'll see more about it on the forum once you get going.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jack.
You probably have the right attitude. Don't worry so much. If something happens and you need parts, you'll figure it out, right?
Enjoy your trip. I hope I'll see more about it on the forum once you get going.

I think you hit the nail on the head, there is no perfect truck/platform. I think it's more important to pick the best platform you can find (that you like), become mechanically familiar with it, and do your best to prepare it as well as possible.

Thank you, I have spent a lot of time in back country travel (deserts, mountains, rockcrawling, etc), and that attitude has served me well and knock on wood, I have never broken anything while offroad that I couldn't repair/fix or work around .

We are really looking forward to it. I wish I had the skill to build my own camper, but every tape measure I use is broken as no many how many times I cut a board, it's too short...;)

We are going with a flatbed/flatbed pop-up as well. Can't wait to see your build.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior