Dodge Cummins Vs Duramax Vs Super Duty- which wins?

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Got interested in the diesel pickups and wanted to know overall, which is best?
As far as reliability, durability, drivetrain/suspension design and strength.

Looking at extra cab or 4 dr shortbeds if that matters
Thanks!

chrismc

Adventurer
Cummins.

I have no solid reasoning. I just like it best.

Honestly, if I were to choose today, I'd probably go with the Ford. The initial Ford-developed diesel after the Navistar fight was a complete turd. From what I've read recently, the problems seem to be under control. After my third Jeep, I have zero confidence in DaimlerChrysler. I actually would be ok with having a crappy vehicle if the manufacturer actually stood behind it, but they have screwed me over left and right. From all the research I've done, Ford is really on the right track as far the Big 3 go. They are producing a quality product that can stand alongside the imports. While their vehicle designs are "uninspired", they do seem to be focusing on functionality (personally, if they get the latter right, I don't care about the former), and are making the right product for the right audience. Most importantly, they seem to actually have some pride in their brand, and seem the most determined to "do their customers right".

I have no hard evidence to back any of this up, its just the general impression I've seen from lots of reading on the internet and in publications.

I do like Cummins on principle, though. Its the most "bad-*****" powerplant of the three.

**edit** Are ya kiddin' me? I didn't even spell it out and I STILL got censored!

Zorro

Adventurer
Duramax because it comes with the Allison.

But I'm a stick-shift guy, and I like solid axles front and rear, so Cummins it shall be. If only you could get the Power Wagon with the Cummins :D

If it has to be Ford, make that the good old 7.3L. Me no trust the newer ones.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
haha, that is the funniest post I've read in a while:ylsmoke:
thanks for the info, yes I thought the Cummins was the best ...

which year/models are the best?

mobilguy66

Duramax !!

From a guy who owns one, I really like my '05 crew cab. Hauled many trailers, boats etc. with ease. A little over powered adding a bully dog for driving around town. Have a small farm in upstate Pa. where I travel most weekends (165 miles) so I now have 69K on it with no problems. So far only oil, fuel filters and tires. My son has the same truck with 90K, no problems. We both average about 22mpg. going up and 23.5mpg coming down from the mountains @68 mph with the bully dog in the performance mode. 17-18 around town. 3mpg less with the dog turned off. Haven't heard that kind of mileage from the other two company's not to say they don't. Most my friends have them as well and love'em. Talking to the guys at the diesel pumps, never heard anything bad about any of them. Was at the dealer today for a heated washer recall on my wifes Tahoe and they had one diesel. List was (loaded truck) $47,855.00 and red tag was $35,205.00. I paid about 38K for mine 3years ago so that seemed like a great deal IMO. I am kicking around buying a 2007 Ford F550 based motorhome (new leftover) but after reading all the stuff about the 6.0 Fords, I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. Love everything about it but I am still hesitate.....Not to mention the economy. After owning this truck, I don't think I would go back to gas. There's my two cents, Good Luck whatever you decide. Paul

Overdrive

Adventurer
Life_in_4Lo said:
thanks for the info, yes I thought the Cummins was the best ...

which year/models are the best?

Brief overview:
up to 1993 (square body style): no electronics, rotary fuel pump which is reliable but not as much power as the later years. 160 HP. Mechanical fuel pump (lift pump). Desireable (to some) because of the NP205 transfer case, locking hubs, front leaf springs, no catalytic converter or any other smog controls. Wish I never would have sold mine.

1994-1998.5: Most consider this the best engine years due to no electronics, a super-stout injection pump (mechanical, P7100), and up to 215 horses. Mechanical lift pump. Front suspension is coil sprung from here to current build, and no more locking hubs. Catalytic converters, but otherwise no smog controls. (Some years of California spec had EGR valves.)

The two above (1989 to 1998.5) are called the "12-valve" motors to distinguish them from the next ones which have 24 valves. When referring to either, 12V always means mechanically controlled injection pumps (think reliabilty/durability) and 24V means electronically controlled injection pumps with electric lift pumps. These engines are terribly easy to modify to put out far more HP while keeping it reliable.

1998.5-2002: Electronically controlled injection pump and electric lift pump, both of which are prone to failure; that said, modern work-arounds and rebuilds of the pump give much better reliability. Up to 245 HP. No catalytic conv. 4-wheel disc brakes from here up. First year for 6-speed manual was 2001. (A few made in late 2000 but had a smaller input shaft.)

2003-2004: First year for the common rail. Much quieter. Up to 305 HP. Stronger automatic trans (48RE). No catalytic conv. Due to front suspension/steering changes, these steer like a sports car. A world of difference from the rubbery feel of the 1994-2002's. I own both versions (2001 and 2003), and I'm always amazed at the difference.

2004.5 to 2007: Revised computer controlling the pump gives up to 325 HP and 605 torque:drool:. catalytic converters come back and are here to stay.

2007.5 to now: displaces 6.7 litres instead of 5.9. Lots of emission controls.

Scott

milo12

Adventurer
Another vote for the Dodge. I have had a 2002 and now have a 2008 with the 6.7 liter engine. The new one is so much better I highly recommend the new 6 speed auto. I get better mileage, have way more power and it is smoother and quieter.

One fact of life is, no matter which you buy, you are really buying a $50,000 kit. You will want to upgrade tons of stuff to make it how you like. I have replaced all the suspension. I have eliminated all the emissions junk and added a Bullydog PMT. I have upgraded the cooling system with an electric fan and an additional trans cooler. I have put on high performance brake pads. I have replaced the incredibly lousy headlights with HID's. Of course better tires. I have still to put new bumpers front and rear and other goodies.

mrblond

Observer
I have a 5.9 2007 Cummins w/6 speed manual and I really like it.

The 5.9 is an industrial power plant. Mine has a super thick clear coating over the whole engine and all the electric/electronic systems. The 5.9 uses 12qts of oil and the oil filter is about a foot long. You cant find the correct Fleet guard oil filters at a regular pepboys or autozone. I went to a big rig parts supplier to buy a couple of cases of the correct oil filters. The truck has two batts tied together in parallel by thick heavy single O wire I think and comes with a 130/160 amp at idle alt.

I get about 600 mile range between fill ups with 35" Toyo MTs. I have upgraded the suspension with springs and 12" travel shocks front/rear, new shock towers, track bar and a really nice set of long life control arms with articulating joints on each end.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
thanks for the thoughtful responses.

If I were to go this route, it would have to be an auto so would the Allison Duramax be the best bet?

I have to admit, the Cummins powerplant seems like the best, it just about looks like a 4BT too. How are the Dodge auto trannys on 2003-04-ish models?

I think I would prefer sfa (I know, Chevy isnt), extra cab/4dr (but not mega cab), auto tranny

ScottBailey

Observer
Joking, right?

Life_in_4Lo said:
Got interested in the diesel pickups and wanted to know overall, which is best?
As far as reliability, durability, drivetrain/suspension design and strength.

Looking at extra cab or 4 dr shortbeds if that matters
Thanks!

Each has it's pros and cons. For me, they go kinda like this:
  • Dodge: best engine
  • Chevy: best tranny
  • Ford: best frame

If you want ground clearance, skip the Chevy. I hear the Ford auto tranny is better than Dodge. Don't know.

I'm happy with my F350. But I'd be OK w/ a Dodge, too.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I'll argue that the best auto is the Aisin 6 speed. Unfortunately, at the moment, it only comes behind the 6.7 in the cab and chassis configuration of the 07.5 and later Dodge.

I'm going to nurse my first gen 12V along for a while longer and then rework the engine and drop it into a Superduty. Probably in front of a computerless 4 speed Alison.

milo12

Adventurer
In those years you will want to upgrade the transmission. If you go with a Suncoast or Goerend trans it will be bulletproof and shift great. Like I said you need to spend some bucks to make it exactly suit your needs.

Google Allison trans problems. There are tons of them. The truck trans is nothing like the medium duty trans they are famous for. Just like the Dodge the OEM trans is marginal for serious use. Both have a very strong aftermarket upgrade following.

Overdrive

Adventurer
milo12 said:
Google Allison trans problems. There are tons of them. The truck trans is nothing like the medium duty trans they are famous for. Just like the Dodge the OEM trans is marginal for serious use. Both have a very strong aftermarket upgrade following.
:iagree:

Dodge had problems with their auto trans in the 90's-early 2003 because the engine is so easy to crank up the horsepower on. People doubled the hp/torque while leaving the tranny stock, and then had to tow that 9,000 lb trailer up the mountain at 75 mph. Guess what was toasted?

They improved the trans greatly with the 48RE version that came out in, I believe, late 2003. Maybe 04. It's a stout trans.

Keep the engine at stock hp levels, and you won't have a problem with the trans. Or, if you really pump up the power, just know how to drive it with a heavy trailer so you don't overwork the trans, and they will be as good as any other.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
I'll throw another vote in for the Dodge... my '04 has been great. The 48RE has proven to be pretty reliable. Most people that have trouble with it, as others have stated, have turned up the power. They can be upgraded through several different aftermarket vendors to handle the increased power with little trouble. Expect a few grand to have a built auto tranny from any of the manufacturers.

Kyle

toy_tek

Adventurer
I don't know what is "best". Seems like a lot of Dodge owners here, but I only know a couple guys in person that own them, one with a later model just replaced his tranny. Everybody else uses Chevys and Fords for work.

I have an 05 crew cab longbed 4x4 6.0 F350 SRW, completely stock. I bought it 14 months ago with 93k and now have 108k. Its been reliable for me for that duration, and I pull 8k-14k lbs almost daily for work. I've had 3.2 tons of sand in the bed. It does what I require it to.

I like the power, space, utility, factory brake controller, dash layout, ease of oil/fuel maintenance, 19 mpg avg (unloaded), and I think it looks good (as american pickups go). I don't like the seats, and at 108k I believe there are a couple worn steering linkage components (slop).

If I were in the market for new, I'd consider a new Superduty with the 6.4. My buddy and next-door-neighbor has one, the engine is silly quiet and powerful. Reliability remains to be seen, the one negative is his mileage; he's avg'ing about 11-12mpg city with only 10k on the odo. The interior is improved over the 6.0 models too.

Don't know if this helps, just on a caffeine buzz this morning. Happy T-giving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger