Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

adam88

Explorer
Looks amazing. Those tires are swallowed up by the fenders. Really quality build and something you should be proud of.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
This looks amazing with the new tires and wheels along with those new flares. Man..., what a beast.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Looking so clean Ward, awesome!!
I look forward to hearing Mark's thoughts too. I'm sure he'll be impressed.

She's one beefy rig! AEV really knocked it out of the park, everything fit perfectly and we never had to move the axle forward as the 5500 has a different axle placement that the 3500 already, so all stock links, and steering which is definitely a benefit for maintenance, there was a lot of sheet metal removed behind and around the wheel. There is a full half inch of clearance at full lock front and rear on the bump stops so they shouldn't contact. The Hutchinson's also fit really nice, NO SPACERS! The initial request was a set of wheels that would fit all around, and they do as the center just gets flipped for the rears which is proper, this means though that the outer row of studs faces inwards on the rears, it was known at the factory but somebody made the decision to keep all the rim halves the same, which is great parts wise, has a glitch cosmetically. Overall very successful fit up for 2 companies that have never put one of these packages together before, says a lot for the engineering depts.

Hobietim

Ward,

Great to follow your build particularly some of the details. We're building a Silver 5500, Cummins Aisin 4X4 Crew Cab Tiger Malayan HT, going with front/rear Aluminess bumpers, glad to see the snorkel and Hutchinson rims that we are going to use, on your rig and their fit and finish! We'll have to cross paths at some point! All the best in poking around the far corners of our world, sea ya

Hobietim
Pak Belang
2016 Ram CC 5500 Tiger Malayan HT

Healeyjet

Explorer
Here are some photos of our trip home from Lite Industries to the driveway.

This one is to show the scale of the truck. I am just under 6'5" so I think some Powersteps are in order.

As Mark said above, AEV knocked it out of the park with their new Ram bumper, flares and raised air intake.

I just think this a a cool photo, LOL.

We still need to finish the suspension which will level the camper out.

Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks Java. It drove real nice. We did have one issue with a shock mount on the front on the way home but it is going over to the suspension shop later today or tomorrow to have a new Hadley computer installed and see if they can get the Kelderman suspension that is installed working correctly.
Ward

thethePete

Explorer
FWIW, the ride height valves Kelderman uses, while solid haldex units, are a little finicky to get sitting level all around. Once set up though, they're pretty much forgettable. As long as the system was plumbed and wired properly, it's mostly just fussing with the angle so that the valve is not dumping or adding air, they have a very small sweet-spot.

Rig is absolutely incredible. Hopefully you can enjoy many miles of problem free adventuring.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
FWIW, the ride height valves Kelderman uses, while solid haldex units, are a little finicky to get sitting level all around. Once set up though, they're pretty much forgettable. As long as the system was plumbed and wired properly, it's mostly just fussing with the angle so that the valve is not dumping or adding air, they have a very small sweet-spot.

Rig is absolutely incredible. Hopefully you can enjoy many miles of problem free adventuring.

Kelderman uses Haldex units? Interesting, didn't think I'd see much mention of the Haldex brand on the overlanding forums.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Pete, I sure hope you're right, LOL. When we first fired up the truck it hunted for the ride height for a long time. I sure hope I didn't make the camper more complicated than it needs to be. It is going back to the suspension installer tomorrow morning. This is my first experience with an air suspension of any kind and I sure hope the Kelderman lives up to expectations and hype.
Ward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12