Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks Fly. Ya, the Kings were supposed to be ready quite a while ago then shipped straight to Saskatoon. Unfortunately they were late then ended up shipping them to IA instead. I had to get the truck delivered over to ITB so we went with some other shocks temporarily. We will put the Kings on before final setting. Good eye!

The bag height they set temporarily as well just to get it delivered and have the camper installed. Once it is installed I will be taking it back to them for adjustment and final settings. I will mention the spacers to them, thanks for that info. If memory is correct I think the recommended bag height on the instructions was 8-9.5".

Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
Some updated photos.

Frame and shell are complete. Wheels wells are cutout. Door is installed. All compartment hatches are completed and installed. Next in the process is to paint the front portion of the box and kick-over in preparation for mounting on the chassis which will happen next week.

Inside looking back

Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks PT. Yes it is a fun process for sure. I did a bit of stressing waiting for the suspension to arrive and be installed but Annie reminded me it was supposed to be fun not make me lose sleep. Since her reminder it has been much easier. We have made so many decisions so far about products, colours etc. it is like designing a small house.

Ward

vincevs

www.itb.ca
Great build thread Healyjet... There are 3D files pictures on the hutchinson website of your wheels. If you can get me the model from them I will add it to the drawings.

adam88

Explorer
Looking forward to hearing more about this. I keep checking :) You must be anxiously awaiting it... sometimes it can seem so slow. Then, all of a sudden, everything happens at once.

Healeyjet

Explorer
The anticipation is exciting but progress is always nice too!

They should be mounting the shell onto the chassis tomorrow. They are cutting the walk through into the back of the cab today I believe. We will be there tomorrow as we are in the neighbourhood for a wedding so a good chance to go see the progress. Hopefully we get to see the shell installed onto the chassis! I would imagine they just back the truck under the lifted shell so nothing too exciting unless it's yours, LOL. We hope to be able to stand inside the mounted shell to get a feel of the space involved. That being said I will have more pictures to post over the weekend or right after.

As for the shell I am told it is roughly at around 2000 lbs. The 2000 lbs includes the frame below as it will be hard-mounted to the chassis not on a three point mount of any kind. I would imagine the composite panels you are producing will be much lighter. We will have the dual pane Hehr 6400 series glass windows as well so they will be heavier than the acrylic windows common in a lot of campers.

Just busy with the designer drawing up a spare tire mount that can be mechanically lowered to the ground and swing away from the rear storage compartment.
Fun stuff!!

Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
Update already, LOL.

Shell is next in line to have front painted so it can be mounted on chassis. Cab is now cut out at the back for the walk through.

No turning back now I guess hey!!

Ward

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Oh Man, you done it now! That would freak me out a little. All will be good in the end, but a brand new cab...You've got big kahunas! She's looking good.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Ron, like Adam said, at least I wasn't the one doing the cutting!

I will be there tomorrow morning to assess the destruction to the cab, LOL.

Ward

adam88

Explorer
Ron, like Adam said, at least I wasn't the one doing the cutting!

I will be there tomorrow morning to assess the destruction to the cab, LOL.

Ward

That's gotta be exciting.

I am glad you've gone with the cut out... all the designs I plan never have a cut out, because it's just too much work / too ballsy / not technologically advanced enough. But these camper body places like ITB are pros when it comes to doing cutouts. They have been doing them for years on ambulances and basically every body truck they do. So this is the one area you probably don't need to worry about at all. They will seal this up and it will never leak a drop.

I also love how part of the roof is cut down. You can do this because you're not using the top overhang for a bed, which means stepping into the regular cab should be much easier (no need to bend down as much). Sounds like you've thought this out a lot. And since it's a regular cab, body flex shouldn't be a huge issue. Much stronger than a crew cab, less flex and twist. Lots of benefits to a regular cab for sure. I've never liked a bed mounted up on the overhang. Your floorplan works much better IMO. Also makes for a lot of storage under the bed.

Any news on the dodge fenders and 41's? Did you decide what tires and wheels you're going with? I am guessing that you had the rear fenders on the ITB chassis cut out to fit a 41" tire. It's going to look funny with those small tires on it for a bit :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan