Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

Healeyjet

Explorer
Pappa, when I was into Austin Healey's, a fellow named Blair Harber did just that to one of the pre-production aluminum bodied Austin Healey 100. It was an amazing car. I mentioned polishing the truck to the guys at ITB and they said they would do it if I wanted. I think I would be single if I went that far!
Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
Exactly Busbart. I was asking in jest to see what they would say just to point out how spectacular it would look and to show off the quality of their work.

By the way Busbart, you live in a beautiful part of the world!

Ward

busbart

Observer
By the way Busbart, you live in a beautiful part of the world!

Ward

Hello Healyjet, Funny, I'd like to say exactly the same thing from you!

Been there three times, twice with the Airforce and once private (Goosebay, and BC, Alberta, In those days I didn't speak French so we visited only the anglophonic provinces)
and I wished I could live there.

But héé, a man has to have his wishes, isn't it?....:bike_rider:

Bart

jgardiner

Observer
I didn't notice if you were planning to cover the interior walls with anything. I would think that the bare aluminum could be cold.

bdj238

I have also been wandering about the cold issue. Do you have a heater fabbed in? I would think all that metal would be a giant heat sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deminimis

Explorer
I'm sure he's already planned for the thermal transference/isolation, but I'd like to hear the plan. Condensation with alumn can be a bear. Looking at that bed platform, I'm wondering if you plan on doing any autopsies when not camping? ;-) Ha! Again, this bad boy looks fantastic and I'm very impressed with this build.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Hey guys, yes we have planned for heat in the camper. It will have an Oasis Zehpyr hydronic heat system. It has four heater loops (one for engine preheat) and three for heating as well as hot water for showering. For the most part we hope to be in warmer locations 😎 than cold ones. Living on the Canadian prairies has given us the desire to get to warmer locations not cold ones. The camper is built to survive cold weather if for example we go to Alaska in August and have to travel home through northern British Columbia and Alberta. Water tank will be heated and all lines etc are within the thermal envelope of the camper. The walls are insulated with spray foam. If anything we will have to compensate for condensation by ventilation. At least that is our thought. As far as visual "coldness" that is our concern as well. We will be "warming" the interior through fabric choices etc. Here's to hoping it turns out like we hope🍻!
Ward

thethePete

Explorer
Looks amazing. I can say first hand that the Kelderman setups are great. I installed one under a Chev 3500 a little while ago and the kit is a beauty to work with, plus their support is great.

I can attest to wanting to get those bags in their operating range. The owner of the truck I did wanted to be about 2" above stock height, I ended up having to put a 2 7/8" spacer under the bag to get it into safe operating range. We had initially set it up with no spacer, but we were too far out of the operating range of the bag, so it was struggling to carry the weight. Getting them back into their favourable range made a huge difference for their load carrying capaicty, also made it less wallowy over bumps. Definitely a good idea to go with heavier shocks too. We're running a 2.5" reservoir shock from Fox on the back of this rig, and it sees a rear axle weight of around #12K, we went with 80/100 valving and it seems to be good.

Also, yes, Kelderman runs a Viair compressor in that box, and adding an auxillary line is not an issue at all. If you opted for the auto-leveling set up the 3gal tank it comes with has enough extra ports to plumb an accessory line for refilling tires etc. However, the compressor isn't huge, so it may struggle to air up those military tires. I ran an aux line on the set up I did (be sure to put a pressure protection valve in, so you don't lose bag pressure in event of a failure, the kit doesn't come with any). However, with how far this build is going, and the size of tires, I would suggest running an ARB twin or something beefier and dedicated as your OBA set up, with a small reservoir tank for it. You could potentially even fit it right behind the Kelderman box.

I'd definitely love to see this rig in person if you do make it over the mountains to Vancover. Looking amazing so far!

S2DM

Adventurer
Hey Ward,

Question from a fellow truck owner with 41.6" tires :) What are your plans for speedometer recalibration. I was looking at the truspeed, but curious what else is out there.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
We use Oasis compressors and a receiver dryer on shuttle and tour busses that get air ride conversions when the engine is not equipped with a compressor. We have seen pretty much everything else suffer a short life span, especially when setup with auto levelling valves.

Healeyjet

Explorer
S2DM, I am hoping to use the AEV Procal. American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) is the company that makes the flares, raised air intake, front bumper etc. that we will be using. They also make a programmer called a Procal that we can use to reset the speedometer among other things. We have one for our Jeep and it works great. I know the Procal works on the 3500 but just making sure it will work on the 5500. It is for the Dodge Ram only though.

Jeep, we will run the Viair until there is an issue. If there is we will be switching over to the compressor you suggest. I may even install one of those right away to air up the tires and run air tools if needed.

Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
Photo update.

Here is the pull out pantry which is on the drivers side just behind the sofa. It is above the stack of drawers that will hold kitchen ware. To the left of the pantry and drawer stack is the front wall of the bathroom. To the right of the pantry will be an overhead cabinet and the sofa.

Pull out pantry in the open position.

Bed side night stand. Top drawer in the closed position.

Bed side night stand. Top drawer in the open position. Note the top drawer is 36" front to back but the two drawers below are only 12" deep. The space behind the smaller lower drawers is taken up by the rear storage compartment accessible from outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998