Does any one have a Supercharger on their 3.4L

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Supercharger will cost much less than the V8 swap. Be sure to upgrade the fuel system, as well.

That said, I've owned a supercharged 4Runner, N/A 4Runner/Tacoma, and I am perfectly fine with the stock power of the 3.4L. Gets the job done for me.

J_wings24

Observer
Cackalak Han said:
Supercharger will cost much less than the V8 swap. Be sure to upgrade the fuel system, as well.

That said, I've owned a supercharged 4Runner, N/A 4Runner/Tacoma, and I am perfectly fine with the stock power of the 3.4L. Gets the job done for me.

What is actual increase with a supercharge 3.4L? I've looked into doing it myself, but perceived increase vs. actual increase can be quite different.

Was the supercharged engine that much more peppy?

thanks

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
My 04' Tacoma DC is supercharged, having owned it for over a year now I can't think of having it any other way. I drive a non-SC'd automatic truck and they feel anemic. Would I be able to go back, absolutely... in fact I didn't search out the SC as a mandetory option for me, rather it just happened to come with the truck that met all of my other requirements.

To compare a V8 swap to the SC is pretty contrasting. The SC is bolt on, can easily be done in a day and requires no special fab tools, adapters or smog hurdles. A V8 swap is going to need adapters, fabrication, special cooling concerns as well as relocating a bunch of stuff under the hood. To be honest steering would be really tight under the hood unless you used a smaller (non SBC) V8. Having been involved in dozens of V8 swaps over the years, I always estimate in the $5k range for a completed swap, likely more if your paying someone else to do the labor. Compared to the ~$2k SC its a hard comparison to make. Lets not even discuss reliability, ease of common parts and the rest of your drivetrain that I would want upgraded behind any sort powerplant pushing more than the 5VZ is capable of.

Attachments

• Dual_Batteries 005 (Medium).jpg
    Dual_Batteries 005 (Medium).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

TheMike

Adventurer
I supercharged my 2000 4Runner. TRD stuff; supercharger and the 7th injector kit. I did it primarily for towing. All I can say is WOW!!

When pulling over 4k loaded, this thing would do whatever I asked of it. All that sacrificed was gas mileage. 75 got me about 7 MPG. 60 about 12. RMP was the key as more boost sucked gas like no tomorrow. Go baby go! Here in Denver, 7lbs of boost whenever I wanted!

Only because we got hit head-on and totaled my baby did we move on to other vehicles. Man, I miss it!

Blown4Runner-1.jpg

Blown4RunnerandRV.jpg

Blown4RunnerWrecked.jpg

TheMike

Adventurer
J_wings24 said:
What is actual increase with a supercharge 3.4L? I've looked into doing it myself, but perceived increase vs. actual increase can be quite different.

Was the supercharged engine that much more peppy?

thanks

If I remember correcty, including the 7th injector, it was about 90+ for both HP and torque. As I stated before, oh baby! Nothing is like a blown motor. And, the sound....oh that sound! :)

The absolutely only draw back I can see to supercharging the 3.4 is the premium gas requirement. That's it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior