Does anyone have a Sportsmobile in Iowa?

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Good evening everyone! I have got a few "expedition" vehicles, but my latest build for the family has left me a little less than thrilled, and I am thinking about jumping ship on it and picking up a sportsmobile. I have a wife and three kids, and we probably wouldn't be camping in it every night, although we would from time to time. My main interest in the Sportsmobile is it's capability, and the ability for the kids to be able to stretch out and have a few different seating options. The onboard galley would be fantastic as well, as it is always cheaper/faster/easier to make meals rather than go out for them. That coupled with the fact that the kids would much rather be playing on the beach, biking, kayaking, hiking, or whatever outside than eating in some stuffy establishment makes it a no-brainer.

Other than in passing on the roads I have never seen a Sportsmobile up close, and I would REALLY love to check one out before selling my current rig and switching gears in this direction. I will also be heading out to Moab the third week of October-if there is anyone that is going to be out in that area around then and would be kind enough to show me their van that would be great!

Thanks again!
Dave

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I am not sportsmobile, However Depending on your location in Iowa I will be in northern Mo and southern Iowa in two weeks and would be happy to show you my unfinished personal built by me (Colorado Camper Van). Or when you come out to moab you are more than welcome to stop by and check out one of the vans I am currently building. We are located just outside of Estes park Co.
Let me know if your interested.
Thanks
Derek

yfarm

Observer
Illinois Sportsmobile

Live in Peoria, have a 2002 e350 RB with contempo top RB 15 floor plan
Occasionally get to Des Moines to see family. Happy to show it to you.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies guys!

Derek-I would definitely like to stop by and see what you have going. I will talk with the wife about the schedule today and PM you about meeting up.

yfarm-Yes! If you are in the area sometime please let me know! I am thinking about doing an EB with a #14 floor plan and a fixed (Voyager?) top. I have three kids plus the Mrs., and as fun as it is going to be once we get out there I am actually dreading the trip in the H1 Alpha out there and back. I think that at this stage in life a camper van makes the most sense for my family and me, and I just want to gather as much hands on knowledge as I can about them before I pull the trigger. The Alpha will be going up for sale at the end of October, and as soon as that goes I will be doing something.

Thanks again everyone!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
As an owner of a voyager top if you are thinking of anyone other than very small kids (2 small kids is tight) sleeping up there then you really really need to try one out.

The pop top is absolutely the way to go if anyone will be sleeping up high. I know adult couples who can sleep up top with the pop-ups and as a reasonably sized adult I barely fit in the voyager top by myself. And this is with no foam padding on the bed boards (use a backpacking sleeping pad since it is thinner).

The voyager top is great for gear storage and my 12yr old will sleep up there sometimes but he is thin and fit and still doesn't feel like there is enough room.

As for floorplans I am really happy with the mod'd 71 variation SMB West did for Disabled Explorers, and the extra EB space is worth gold!
check out sportsmobileforum.com for other owners who might be near you and of course the great folks at Sportsmobile West are happy to chat (I wore them out picking brains)

dsw4x4

Adventurer
If you want a bed in a voyager top I build a bed that folds up out of the way above the van roof line when not in use. When it is deployed the bed drops down 8 inches below the van roof line giving you an extra 8 inches of head room over the SMB bed. Final dimensions 6'8"x 48 with approx 24 inches of head room depending on what top you have.
Here is a couple of shots.

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

bed folded up in travel position
IMG_6896.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior