Does anyone insulate their windows?

madmax718

Explorer
I watched some videos on youtube- some honda element campers were using reflective bubble sheet insulation cut for their windows. They say it works very well, and keeps the light from coming in.

Im willing to give this a shot, but was wondering if anyone has any comments?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I use double bubble foil insulation on my trailer to good effect

makes a huge diference to heat retention during the winter !

We take it off on the south windows during the day and put it back up at night to retain the solar heat

564505_487810204580984_37102659_n.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I used it in my camper all the time. Cut out the reflectix for under the bed, in the windows, overhead vents etc. Made a huge difference in the cold! I used it anywhere I couldn't fit addition dense foam insulation as well.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
I used it in my camper all the time. Cut out the reflectix for under the bed, in the windows, overhead vents etc. Made a huge difference in the cold! I used it anywhere I couldn't fit addition dense foam insulation as well.

We use it in our ATC camper when it's cold- in the windows, under the bed and under the arctic pac of the popup. It helps a lot. Store the window pieces under the mattress. Roll up the arctic pac pieces and store them in the benches.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Any single skin reflective layer without added air-gap might be great for reducing the heat coming in the windows in sunny climates, but they aren't all that effective in cold climates.

Cheapskate method where your RV has single pane windows is just to stretch cling film across the window frame so there is a trapped air gap. This also acts as a vapour barrier to reduce the amount of moisture condensing on the glass.

Then I guess the next step up would be bubble wrap packaging - especially a double layer - would do an excellent job AND would let a reasonable amount of light in as well. Adding the reflective layer isn't going to add much.

Most RVers in Europe use the insulating blanket with foil on both sides - mentioned below - on their cabin windows to give insulation, reduce condensation and provide privacy.

zoblo

Observer
I have only one window in my phoenix popup but it runs almost the full length of the camper (passenger side) along which is my seating. I found that my old therm-a-rest backpacking pad fits perfect up against the window and behind the short foam backrest. Provides a little extra padding for the back when sitting too. I leave it there most of the time as the windows in the soft material when popped up provide plenty of light etc. But can always deflate it and roll it up to put it away.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I used a couple layers of Reflectix on the glass windows of my camper. I also used it under the floor and in some some of the walls.

madmax718

Explorer
thanks guys, reflextix it is!

Window tinting is great, I love it, but I like my visibility. Plus, its illegal to have tint above a certain percentage. I do use solar shades though, and it helps alot. It just doesn't keep out cold in the winter, and scratches easily. I might still do it though, the "safety" factor of having glass not completely split apart on impact is nice.

Crackerman

We built bubble foil panels for the cab area windows on a mobile mammogram bus for a customer. It went from not even being comfortable to being able to maintain 72 dg in direct sunlight on the front half of the bus. Well worth the hour to cut and velcro them in.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have used the doubler bubble mylar type insulation on our motorhome windows for many years in winter, and it works great!

Cut panels to friction fit the windows, quick to make and install/remove, very light weight also. It also makes the rig very quiet.

Only drawback, it makes the RV into a cave during the day!

Bought a roll at Home Depot for around $40, it covered all the windows and vents in a 34' class A motorhome with some extra leftover.

Doug

robert

Expedition Leader
I use the bubble insulation in my VW; cut the pieces to fit the windows and the one on the sliding door has magnets stuck to it. I've got one for the front windshield too and I usually drape a wool blanket behind the front seats to reduce the interior space I'm trying to heat as well as provide some insulation. As Doug mentioned it does make it dark inside but it definitely helps when it's really cold.

C5dad

Observer
I know several long haul truckers who have been using the stuff for years in the southwest and swear by it. Especially since they have forced layovers due to DOT regulations in some sucky truck stops.

madmax718

Explorer
Done! I got 4ft x25 ft reflectix. I friction fitted them in. It is cave dark in there, but kinda awesome at the same time. Its also very quiet. I didn't quite expect it to become so quiet. The usual car passing by that would wake me up, or car doors closing, etc.. was barely noticeable. Now to try sleeping in it overnight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle