Does Gore-Tex really breathe ??

Zatara

Adventurer
Does gore-tex really breathe like they claim it does ?
Specifically, how do they compare to regular leather boots (Red Wing/Danner) when it comes to how well they breathe ?

My feet get sweaty and I do not like them in the summer. I would rather have a good leather boot than a Gore-Tex one.

Last edited:

MNDodge

Observer
Gore-Tex does breath, but a boot w/out ger-tex will breath a bit better usually. It depends on what kind of boots you are getting, If you get a gore-tex boot that's leather and cordura, it will breath better that an all leather boot without gore-tex. Also, there is no way to fully waterproof a non gore-tex boot. So what you are going to use them for should dictate what boots you buy, if they will routinely see wet conditions I would definitely go gore-tex.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I've got two pairs of gor-tex boots.
One pair (Salomon Cosmic GTX) are like mini saunas on my feet. I only use them in midwinter.
My other pair are leather with some sort of venting system apparently (Hi Tech E-vent). Very cool in hot weather and I wear them all year round.
So I'm no expert here but I assume that it's not just gor-tex vs non gor-tex, or synthetic vs leather, that determines the characteristics of the boot.

ywen

Explorer
Does gore-tex really breathe like they claim it does ?
Specifically, how do they compare to regular leather boots (Red Wing/Danner) when it comes to how well they breathe ?

Yes.. goretex fabric has tiny holes too small for water droplets to enter, but still large enough to allow water vapor to exit

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
To directly answer your question, GoreTex doesn't actually breathe. It is a membrane that is laminated to a synthetic material. The membrane is actually full of millions of little holes that are large enough for air to get through but too small for water to pass. This membrane, in combination with well constructed boots and breathable/moisture wicking underlayers add up to a breathable system.

Boots, however, are such a personal thing and breathability (and by extension overall usability) includes so many factors including terrain, your feet and carried load. Some people swear by full leather boots smeared in beeswax while other like synthetic boots with GoreTex.

Personally, I have many GoreTex based shoes and boots. However, I have never noticed better breathability in a full leather GoreTex boot compared to a full leather non-GoreTex boot. If the full leather boot is properly treated and cared for, I personally find them to have very similar performance. I also never buy a synthetic boot without GoreTex now - but not for breathability but rather for water resistance.

Pete

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
It's a membrane that allows certain sized molecules to pass through. I first used PTFE as an artificial blood vessel employed by vascular surgeons to create arterio-venous shunts for hemodialysis. It's essentially the same material used on boots or jackets

You're really going to have to purchase different articles of clothing or footwear that feature Gore-Tex or its variants and decide for yourself. Some can't stand it - others swear by it. Individual physiology, activity levels and environment all come together to influence the wearers perception and level of comofort.

Read more here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
If the price is great and the fit is great, you really can't go wrong with a Lowa boot. Excellent product that I don't think you will regret because of the GoreTex liner.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If you understand that GTX is a super thin membrane with about the thickness of cellophane, you get a better sense of how it works and impacts breathability. As others have said, it's just a membrane filled with millions of tiny holes. In a boot, it's really like waterproof underwear, since it's used in the inner part of the boot. I think some people sometimes confuse breathability and membranes in general. If you wear two identical boots, one with, and one without a GTX liner, you might find the GTX boot slightly less breathable, but the difference really should be slight. What I find is people will say their light, mesh clad non-GTX boot breaths better than their 5mm full leather boot with GTX. Well, duh. Not that the GTX is the big factor.

One of the really big factors with GTX boots is relative to socks. Cotton socks in GTX boots is a disaster. GTX requires foot moisture to be vapor in order to pass through it. If you have a sock that does not permit appropriate wicking action, the moisture can't be transformed to vapor to pass through the membrane. Some socks pool moisture and that moisture will not pass through a GTX, eVent or other membrane very well.

By the way, even the footbed can be a big factor since the majority of your foot's moisture exits via the bottom of your foot. If the footbed is overly hydrostatic, it too will pool moisture and give you nice hot-box feet.

Toyotero

Explorer
Water vapor can pass through Gotetex. I was impressed by its ability once while climbing a mountain in Mexico. There was a lot of on-again-off-again drizzle and I got tired of dropping my pack to put on or take off the jacket, so I left it off. Then the drizzle turned into buckets or rain, and I got soaked... so I put the jacket on for the rest of the hike. In the end, I wore the Goretex jacket for the last 2 or 3 hours of the hike to the summit. Surprisingly, when I got to the top, my shirt had dried out through the jacket.

Personally, I never buy boots with Goretex. If I'm out and it's wet, I figure my feet are going to get wet one way or another faster... puddles, water running down my legs, etc so spending money on Goretex material in the boots wouldn't be worth it. I just carry extra socks (and wool socks if wet/cold is a concern) and dry the boots as well as I can at night.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Thanks for the replies !
What socks would you recommend to wear with GTX boots ?

Cabot & Sons (they sell under that name or Darn Tough). I also have some Smartwools, and the REI house brand (made by Wigwam, IIRC) thin wool/acrylic hiking sock is pretty good. Stay away from cotton.

Best advice I ever read (someone on here said it) was to splurge on the socks. I used to wear only cotton socks, and I walk 2-5 miles a day on a hardwood floor. Switching to wool made an amazing difference.

Trout

I ONLY wear wool socks except when I go to the gym and I know I'm only wearing cotton for the duration of my workout. Even then, I sometimes go with wool. Wool is an AMAZING material. For hands, head and feet it's pretty much all I use.

When I read the title of the post I was thinking about my 10 year old Berghaus packlite jacket and pants. Yes, still extremely waterproof and breathable 10 years later. I purchased these items while living in London - they were INSANELY expensive, but over time they have more than paid for themselves.

As for gore-tex in shoes - my feet tend to sweat in them no matter what socks I wear. Except my Solomon boots which are about as old as my Berghaus packlite stuff. Regular running shoes with goretex - sweaty mess. I don't know if the shoe manufacturers misapply the material or what, but it's not so good. If I'm not in oiled leather boot when it's wet out I'm in whatever shoes I normally wear, goretex socks over wool and I know my shoes are going to be soaked. That is to say, I've had good luck with goretex socks over wool.

I know everyones physiology is a little different and what works for me it's the opposite for others. Hopefully all of us sharing info will help you find a solution that makes your situation better.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman