Dometic CFX 95 voltage drop

wvracer821

Observer
I am having a problem with low voltage at my fridge which sometimes kicks the unit off while in use. I have two 100w solar panels charging three group 31 agm deep cycle batteries in my cargo trailer. I am reading normal voltage at my power distribution (between 12v and 14v depending on the status of the solar). My fridge is in the back of my cargo trailer and the run is about 22 feet of 10AWG wire. This wire is soldered into the Dometic connector to eliminate the cigarette lighter plug. The voltage at the fridge its self is about 2.5V lower than the battery when the fridge is running. I am noticing that at night when I have other things running that the battery voltage drops close to 12v as expected but then the fridge can get below 10v which will sometimes trigger the low voltage shut off.
I was hoping to get some opinions from the group here on how to fix this. I have considered mounting a small motorcycle battery or capacitor near the fridge to help but I’m not totally convinced that’s the solution.
Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grassland

Larger gauge wire? I deal with 120-240VAC equipment mostly, so don't have the guidelines for cable size memorized for low DC stuff.

wvracer821

Observer
Larger gauge wire? I deal with 120-240VAC equipment mostly, so don't have the guidelines for cable size memorized for low DC stuff.

I thought 10AWG was enough but obviously I was wrong. I might make a dedicated 6 or lower AWG to the fridge. Maybe that’s the answer.

2.5v drop over that distance and size is MASSIVE. There is something wrong there. Are you using the same meter to measure the battery and at fridge volts?
How many other things are pulling power from that wire?

wvracer821

Observer
That’s the only thing on that circuit. I’m using the volt meter that I installed to measure it at the batteries and The Dometic app to read it at the fridge.

dreadlocks

44ft of 10awg @ 8A is ~6% Voltage Drop, far from ideal but thats only 0.7v drop @ 12VDC.. if your loosing 2.5v, something is wrong.. check your connections first and foremost.

To get that down under 3% Drop, you need 6awg or bigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998