Dometic fridge waterproof?

BurbanAZ

Explorer
We have a CFX3 and we can not find anywhere that says if it’s waterproof or water resistant. Usually we have it in the back of our 4runner so it’s not an issue but this trip we just have it in our open truck bed because we had no real choose and poor planning lol. Also we’re already on a trip and about to drive in a storm as we speak so hopefully we didn’t just make an expensive mistake. Anyone know if these fridges are water proof or atleast very water resistant? Maybe an ipx rating?

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Hi Chris, On the Dometic Group Sweden website under press releases dated 01/13/2020 it has this info on the electrical panel:

The electronics have also received an impressive upgrade. Compared to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth® is a more reliable connection and uses less energy. This is why the CFX3 series is now equipped with Bluetooth® functionality. In addition, the CFX3 now has a more powerful USB charger output to power important devices like mobile phones and tablets faster. The new control panel is certified as waterproof/weatherproof.

However in the owner manual for the CFX3 55IM (appears to also cover other CFX3 units as well) that I have it does say to Never immerse the cooling device in water. (Pg 21) and The device shall not be exposed to rain. And on Page 23 is says This device shall not be exposed to rain.

So appears the control panel can get wet if you are in Sweden but in the USA the unit shall not be exposed to water.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Hi Chris, On the Dometic Group Sweden website under press releases dated 01/13/2020 it has this info on the electrical panel:

The electronics have also received an impressive upgrade. Compared to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth® is a more reliable connection and uses less energy. This is why the CFX3 series is now equipped with Bluetooth® functionality. In addition, the CFX3 now has a more powerful USB charger output to power important devices like mobile phones and tablets faster. The new control panel is certified as waterproof/weatherproof.

However in the owner manual for the CFX3 55IM (appears to also cover other CFX3 units as well) that I have it does say to Never immerse the cooling device in water. (Pg 21) and The device shall not be exposed to rain. And on Page 23 is says This device shall not be exposed to rain.

So appears the control panel can get wet if you are in Sweden but in the USA the unit shall not be exposed to water.

Thanks for the reply. Everything we could research was talking about the ipx rating of the panel. I’m not sure why the panel being weatherproof is so valuable if the rest of the unit isn’t. We ended up driving though one storm and the fridge is still working so far. We’re going to need to find something in the next town to cover it somehow without blocking t the vents

emulous74

The only fridge that I’m aware of as best my weatherproof is the ARB Elements. In the back of my truck it has survived rain, snow, mud, dust storms and excessive heat. You still can’t sit it in water as the vents need air.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Well my really fancy solution was to buy a cheap tub from Walmart and put it upside down over the fridge, I think it’ll work fine. It tapers so there is space all the way around for the vents. IMG_4033.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78