Dometic PLB40 - Short circuit protection was triggered.

Vanhalo

Anyone else have a short circuit failure on the USB port on the Dometic PLB40?

I have been using mine for 4 or 5 years flawlessly.
Tried hooking up my Uniden SDS-200 scanner and raspberry PI 5V usb connector to the Dometic and it went into fault mode.

No fuses blown...short circuit triggered.

Been running this same setup off the 12v lighter in the Jeep for several years now.

The Dometic normally powers my Engel fridge 24/7 and when its in my Jeep it is recharged via Solar...been doing this for years. Additionally it was keeping my Blackvue Dashcam Battery recharged when connected to Solar.

Screenshot at 2024-02-02 19:27:01.pngplb40.jpeg

when I first purchased the PLB40 it had no problems running the SDS200 so this must related to the USB ports.

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMHO this should not have short circuited the PLB40.

this configuration is running via 12v cig lighter on my truck 24/7.

I called Dometic and emailed their customer support.

they said they would email me back after I got if the phone with them but they never did.

Last edited:

Vanhalo

Dometic is sending me new USB ports. I think.
nope board is fried where the USB connected.

IMG_3921.jpeg

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
For peace of mind, I would carefully inspect every inch of the wire also. It's easy to accidentally pinch a wire/cord when loading or unloading the vehicle.

Vanhalo

I bought a replacement off Ebay for $170 shipped.
Dont try and power a Raspberry PI with the USB ports on this.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Which Raspberry Pi are you using? The RPi3 needed 2.4A (12.5W) from it's 5V. The RPi4 and 5 are 3A and 5A. The Dometic appears to give you 2.4A per port and total of 4.2A, so you're likely right at the spec limit. It'll depend, too, what you might have the RPi doing and plugged into it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It’s a custom built head unit for my scanner. I’m guessing it’s a 2 or 3 Based on when I bought it.

That site is from 2021 and mentions USB-C, which implies it might be a RPi4. The 4B was released summer of 2019 and needs 3A to meet all specs, but 2.5A is the minimum as long as the USB peripherals do not exceed 500mA.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior