Don’t be this guy

HUMMER/Expeditions

12 hours of driving around, 6 different stores, 500 ft of tow strap,

Kids, What did we learn from this?
We learned that 500 hp Range Rover against 2 million year old PLEISTOCENE lake is not a fair match 😉

By the way some people get stuck in this location for weeks before someone can get close enough to pull them out.

I was racing with the Range Rover in 2017 Tacoma, of course rover is much faster and he took off, at some point he was 120 mph, by the time we realized how soft the ground was and tried to slow down he was 500 ft a head in mud,
I got stuck only 40 ft wet section, my recovery was easy,

Last edited:

gabrielef

Or maybe it was, how far can I make it without getting stuck? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUMMER/Expeditions

The playa is very tricky place, it goes from dry to immediate soft mud within 10 ft,
The wet surface looks just like the dry section.

Imagine going 120 mph, before you even realize you are in trouble, it’s already late.

maybe HILIFT jack with tire strap and maxtrax could help ? That’s the only recovery tool I can think of in that situation.

Range Rover was left at the playa , the next morning we had to drive to the nearest town 80 miles way and try to find straps.

llamalander

If you don't have room to store 1/4-mile of straps, there's something called tracgrabber that might dig you out-
Basically a block of rubber that gets strapped onto the tire that acts like a paddle to push you out of a mess, at super low speeds. I first saw the concept in a video of a Thai guy who lashed a 2x4 to his wheel to climb out of a bog, the idea holds when you add a lug to the tire that can push enough mud to lift & move the vehicle back in lumbering steps. Have a plan to get them off once you're free, because they stick better than mud--a pair of vice-grips will help detach them when the work is done--

HUMMER/Expeditions

If you don't have room to store 1/4-mile of straps, there's something called tracgrabber that might dig you out-
Basically a block of rubber that gets strapped onto the tire that acts like a paddle to push you out of a mess, at super low speeds. I first saw the concept in a video of a Thai guy who lashed a 2x4 to his wheel to climb out of a bog, the idea holds when you add a lug to the tire that can push enough mud to lift & move the vehicle back in lumbering steps. Have a plan to get them off once you're free, because they stick better than mud--a pair of vice-grips will help detach them when the work is done--
I have never see those, but very interesting idea,
During WW2 Russian tanks had a log on the tank for that exact same reason, if they got stock in mud.

Oops. You couldn't get me to drive anywhere near that stuff. I get the point about looking dry with muck hidden underneath. Imagine doing that trail with oxen and wagons.

ChasingOurTrunks

I'm trying to picture the gear bag that houses 500 feet of tow straps.

I imagine it's about the size and shape of a second full sized land rover - not exactly an easy thing to toss in the boot just in case!

I had a moment of "uh oh" in Bonneville quite a few years back but managed to self-recover. Max Trax are about the only thing that can effectively help but even then often folks spin down to the frame rails and have to deal with suction. And even if MaxTrax were an option, in situations like that Rangie, it's probably going to be 3 feet of progress at a time over many many hours to get out of there. The other option for folks who don't have MaxTrax would be actually a bit faster - it's what @llamalander mentioned. You can make this option work with a robust bit of wood and a ratchet strap so it's well worth being aware of for solo bush recoveries as it's cheap and accessible; I've done it before and it works remarkably well for how simple it is.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior