Don't Everyone Jump On This At Once

OllieChristopher

This is a thread about a Craig's List add. Had it been a for sale by member, even a member who joined the day of the add to sell their truck, there would be no comments about the price.
Good luck with the sale.
Sadly that's not true.

I have seen hundreds of items for sale here since this Expedition Portal was introduced. There are almost always comments about the price and rude ones from members who have no intention of purchasing.

The gatekeeping elitists in here are an inevitable part of enthusiast forums. But even after all of these years, I still cringe when I see it happening.

I hear that. And the problem is growing at an alarming rate on Expedition Portal. Trolling and cyberbullying by long time members is becoming the rule rather than the exception. I feel the worst for the moderators who have to sift through this nonsense. I am quick to report the bad ones but it's a losing battle. There are just not enough moderators on this forum remove all the idiotic posts or permanently ban these members.

OllieChristopher

Commenting on prices and ads is "trolling and cyberbullying"? Do we need to keep a safe space for scammers and marketeers? Lawd help us...

If you followed the "For Sale" section here for as many years as I have you would understand where I am coming from. This thread while having some childish and rude replies is a lot more mild than some of the ones posted here over the years on other items up for purchasing.

Point I'm making is there is zero reason to tease and make fun of something that is up for sale. If you don't like the price take it to a PM. Condescending, arrogant, and rude comments have no place on Expedition Portal.

As far as scammers it's buyer beware. Trying to guess who and who is not posting a scam and posting ridiculous comments is a disservice if the seller is an honest person selling something. And marketeers are welcome as that is what the "For Sale" section is all about.

I'm honestly sick of threads like this being started with the premise of hurting someones sell. Not cool at all for mature adults to behave this way.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If you followed the "For Sale" section here for as many years as I have you would understand where I am coming from.

You mean way back since a year ago on 11/6/2020 when you joined?

I'm honestly sick of threads like this being started with the premise of hurting someones sell. Not cool at all for mature adults to behave this way.

I (and many others) are sick of threads started with the premise of squeezing every single dollar out of a buyer and anyone that stands up to protect buyer from getting taking advantage of, is being labeled a bully, etc...

Making money is cool, taking blatant advantage of people is not... There's a line...

You mention " Trolling and cyberbullying by long time members is becoming the rule rather than the exception"

So one of us long time members speaking up so a newer, maybe less experienced member doesn't get raked over the coals with an off the rails price of something is Trolling and Cyberbullying? Thats how you take that?

Again, there is market price, fair price, and just blatant taking advantage of people. I have issues with the 3rd one, and i am seeing it more and more, and i speak up.

If i am completely off mark, i am sure @Dendy Jarrett will chime in and tell me "thats not in the spirit of portal" or something like that, but if he does it this time, i at least hope he takes the whole picture here into account of how newer members need to be protected against being taken advantage of with this market. I STRONGLY feel the "Rules" of the forum on this need to be updated for this.

Save the spiel about how buyers should due their own due diligence, bla bla bla... Some people just don't know any better, and need guidance

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
I just had a similar, albeit private, conversation with the Ollie individual this week. I believe he is incorrect here as well. There has been no trolling or bullying taking place here, but now that this same M.O. has been here on two distinct threads, I believe it can be safely ascertained what Ollie is doing.

He will be popping up now, claiming he has been here since 2005, and his stated purpose is to attempt to get people banned. Best wishes to all.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
He will be popping up now, claiming he has been here since 2005, and his stated purpose is to attempt to get people banned. Best wishes to all.

Click on his username... it says right there... joined last year (Nov 16, 2020 to be exact) ?

I just "Ignored" him. I wish there was a "block" function

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

So one of us long time members speaking up so a newer, maybe less experienced member doesn't get raked over the coals with an off the rails price of something is Trolling and Cyberbullying? Thats how you take that?

Click on his username... it says right there... joined last year (Nov 16, 2020 to be exact) ?

I just "Ignored" him. I wish there was a "block" function

Join date has nothing to do with how long I have tuned into Expedition Portal and followed the threads. It's an open and public forum that anyone can tune into regardless of membership status. Trolling me then Ignoring me just shows other members what kind of people post on these threads. I recommend for others to take note.

Long time membership to this forum is not conducive to helping out less experienced "members". A brand new member might have a lot more experience than a forum member who has been around for 15 years or more.

I'm finding more and more longtime members disregarding the forum rules and etiquette. 10+ year members with zero probity and rectitude is actually sickening to see. Good news is they are pretty easy to weed out.

It's more than speaking up. It's typing extremely rude and outrageous comments. There are many more resources that are much more reliable than Expedition Portal for pricing out a rig or equipment. Again a simple PM would solve the issue of deliberate shaming and bullying a forum member trying to sell an item.

Expedition Portal was formed to promote and support vehicle-dependent exploration. This does not include trolling, or baiting other members here.

I just had a similar, albeit private, conversation with the Ollie individual this week. I believe he is incorrect here as well. There has been no trolling or bullying taking place here, but now that this same M.O. has been here on two distinct threads, I believe it can be safely ascertained what Ollie is doing.

Yep. I mentioned the same thing, as I've been here since 2010. I asked if he was using multiple usernames, and he said nope...but he's been "here" since 2005. So, OK.

So, I guess I've been here since 1973, but YMMV

Posting PM conversations? Really? I would never ever publicly post PM content. This shows your integrity without me helping to taint it.

Why would you even ask if someone is using multiple user names? That is nothing more than belittling and questioning the integrity of someone you don't even know.. What I can say is I was nothing but polite and forthcoming to you and now you are posting what was suppose to be a private message between to mature adults.

UHAULER

Explorer
To the truck owner.
It sounds like you got caught up in building the"cool" overlander and may have overbuilt for your needs. When you get tied up emotionally in a vehicle sometimes overspending is involved. Most of the time people lose money, it is a depreciating hobby.
In my life i've bought and sold a fair amount of vehicles. Made money on some, lost money on some , and broke even on some. It's just the way it goes. The market will set the price, you may sell it at a loss, break even or have to keep it.

OllieChristopher

UHAULER, There is also a possibility he will get what he is asking for it. Right now overland vehicles are a hot commodity new and used. With the wood, steel, and chip shortages and prices spiking, prices are through the roof. I have been following the motor vehicle market for years. This year it is a sellers market. With wait times being 12 months or more, buyers with deep pockets are paying big money for used ready to go turn key rigs right now.

I do get what you are saying by getting emotional involved though. I have a few riding buddies who always seem to think their modified motorcycles or beat to crud "vintage Indian" is worth twice as much than when they purchased it. As you say the market will set the price.

I'm of the opinion that sellers have a small window of opportunity to get sizable profit on their rigs. Next year it might be a different story. And some of it depends on gas prices as well. With gas creeping up to 5.00 per gallon (here in California) I am seeing 2008 all over again.

I (and many others) are sick of threads started with the premise of squeezing every single dollar out of a buyer and anyone that stands up to protect buyer from getting taking advantage of, is being labeled a bully, etc...

Making money is cool, taking blatant advantage of people is not... There's a line...

You mention " Trolling and cyberbullying by long time members is becoming the rule rather than the exception"

Again, there is market price, fair price, and just blatant taking advantage of people. I have issues with the 3rd one, and i am seeing it more and more, and i speak up.

If i am completely off mark, i am sure @Dendy Jarrett will chime in and tell me "thats not in the spirit of portal" or something like that, but if he does it this time, i at least hope he takes the whole picture here into account of how newer members need to be protected against being taken advantage of with this market. I STRONGLY feel the "Rules" of the forum on this need to be updated for this.

Save the spiel about how buyers should due their own due diligence, bla bla bla... Some people just don't know any better, and need guidance

I completely agree with where you are coming from on this and this thread did in fact get me quickly up to speed with a more realistic understanding of where the market is at. I did my research ahead of time and personally knew people who sold their sprinters with less going on than our setup for $120k so I was genuinely just trying my best to hit the market in the right spot.

The one thing I don’t agree with is that the slander towards my sale often contained false information such as saying that my setup is only worth $46k (which it is certainly not). If we did our best to keep opinions out of the equation and stick to the facts I think that would be the right balance to make sure that buyers don’t get screwed and seller’s get their rightful money out of their build.

FACT: I spent $128k on this build and the camper setup is brand new and costs $68k

FACT: If I was skilled enough to perform all of the work myself this truck setup would have cost less

FACT: I removed any costs even remotely associated with labor on the build and the total cost was $105k

FACT: I purchased my truck for $15k and similar trucks today are more than $20k

FACT: You could not recreate this build in less than a year if you called FWC today and ordered the same camper and flatbed

FACT: People often exchange money for time because some people make a lot of money and don’t always have a lot of free time to accomplish their goals

Maybe if we all worked together to constructively educate eachother and share real facts then we could all get a chance to learn something new! I will add OBO to my price and be completely transparent with any buyer about the costs I have invested and what it would take for them to do it on their own. In that way I think I will be treating the buyer respectfully and allowing them the opportunity to decide if they want to spend the money or not.

Last edited:

adam88

Explorer
The legendary 7.3L. A whooping 250hp.

"It will get you anywhere you want to go.... eventually".

For reference, a base model Dodge Caravan has 283hp.

Even the base model Toyota Tacoma has 278hp.

I know, I know... "Itz all aboot da TORQUE!! Horsepower dun mean **********!".

2002 7.3L mint condition, paid $27k, asking $60k. Dog stains on rear seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998