Don't over drive the conditions!

TurboChris

Adventurer
So as we do every year, Wed I loaded up the Suburban and the girlfriend and her three kids........and headed up to play in the snow. We went to Big Bear. Drove over to the north side of the lake and headed in towards Holcomb Valley to find a nice secluded spot for the kids to sled and play in the fluffly white stuff.

DSCN0445.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

So we're tooling up 3N16 and I come around a slight bend in the road. Keep in mind that the majority of the road is not wide enough for two vehicles to pass....if you encounter someone...someone has to pull to the side or back up till there's room.

DSCN0455.jpg

So as I come around this slight bend....on a slight incline.....I'm doing about 10 mph...the road straightens out and coming down towards me are tow 80's model Cherokee Chiefs. The one in the lead is hauling ***! Probably doing about 30-35 mph. Well, he sees me and hits the brakes.........and starts sliding..I came to a stop. Waiting a sec to see if he was slowing any.....which he wasn't. And try'd to throw it in reverse. At this point he'd slid about 100-150 ft and I ran out of time.

CRUNCH

He hit me straight on. I'd estimate he was doing about 10mph when he finally hit me. The sound of glass breaking and plastic and metal crunching......then a plume of steam.

Not cool.

I backed up about 10 feet and got out to inspect the damage.

DSCN0451.jpg

Not good for his truck.

So I glanced at my truck....and wow.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

That's IT? Didn't push it back at all, didn't shift anything. All it did was mar the powdercoat a bit. I guess I could have made him pay for redoing it......but he was a kid.....maybe 25 and I it's not like my truck was perfect anyways. Just adds character.

Maybe I should get a sticker of a Cherokee Chief with a circle and a slash through it?

To say I'm impressed with the bumper is an understatement. Kudos to OutDoor Logic for the quality of their build. You hear me Jimmy? Thanks! I'm pretty positive that the money I spent on the bumper is less then what I would have sustained in damage had I not had it.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Wow! Glad everyone is OK! And I'm impressed with your bumper!!

We finally got our first good snow today, about 3-4" near the Lake (haven't been over the hill yet-usually more there)

And the people are driving like idiots.

I don't understand it, we average 5-6 months of snow a year here! Yet, every winter, people have to 'relearn' how to drive in it.

"Don't overdrive the conditions." Sage advice!

mkitchen

Explorer
X2 on the no injury part.

Glad to hear that no one got hurt. I grew up driving in snow and I have a healthy respect for the stuff. We love to go out and play in it when we do get some here in AZ. I have to admit though, that there are many who think that it is just white pavement. I have pulled out more than my share of vehicles from the snow banks and have been run off the road by others who are going too fast for the conditions.

Last winter, I even had a fellow ask me if I would drive his 4X4 pickup out to the pavement after I got him un stuck. By that time he was so shook up that he didn't want to drive in the snow any more. So I got to drive out this big fancy Dodge Diesel. Mo drove out our Tacoma.
Mikey

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Again, good thing nobody was hurt.

Something I've learned over the years:

Big truck + big heavy bumpers = fewer insurance claims

That's a nice rig you've got.

Dennis

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Ugh, gross you have Cherokee splattered on your front bumper now. Betcha the other driver learned a good lesson, at least no one was hurt.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
..he sees me and hits the brakes.........and starts sliding..I came to a stop.

Ok, so I've never seen your rig in person and thought the rest of this post is going to anger/depress me. And WOW!, what a nice surprise. Thank you very much for an uplifting post. Good guy drives away with a cool story and young kid learns a valuable lesson without injury. Glad nobody was hurt, except pride maybe.

Last edited:

J-man

Adventurer
Great story & outcome for you. Hopefully it taught the little punk that he is not the only one around with 4 tires & 4wd - what a clueless moron. I have no patience for stupidity, and your rig taught him a lesson. Glad everyone was fine & props to the maker of your bumper - its a thing of beauty.

TurboChris

Adventurer
Thanks, The maker is a board sponsor here...Outdoor Logic. I hit Jimmy up as soon as I got back to tell him how well it fared. I can't recommend them enough. Great guys, Great company, Great bumper!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Geez, you Full-size guys... Always going around beating up innocent little Jeeps!:ylsmoke: Glad no one got hurt and hopefully the young buck learned a lesson out of this.

lil bawbee

same almost happened to me on 3n16 last week 2 4runners came hauling down on ice and almost nailed me and my pregnant wife in our silverado. he barely stopped in time and almost went over the side. he didnt learn his lesson either cause as soon as i let him by he took off going faster.

lil bawbee

yes and if he had hit my truck with my wife in it. it wouldve become a very bad day for him. i had my lil buddy with me whos wife was also in the truck. couldve gotten ugly :yikes:377098_10150930259250121_743215120_21699868_1261662155_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears