Door step Kickstarter

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like a great idea and well done - not clear on why it needs a kick starter since the design is done and they would be easy to manufacturer?

dleeallen

Adventurer
I would guess they didn't expect them to sell that well and didn't have much money to start production. Their goal was only to raise $2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dleeallen

Adventurer
That "Opps we may have something here" moment.

Haha exactly. That's what I suspect at least. I just hope it works well. I worry about damage first and about it being able to slide/roll of you step on it with any side force. We'll see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sucks if you have an old style door striker

DoorStriker.jpg

dleeallen

Adventurer
True enough! But take the concept and would be easy enough to adapt for that style. I hadn't even considered hanging anything off the striker before seeing this.

Corneilius

Adventurer
My favorite door striker accessory (I know.... theres more than one??) is the "door prop" I made after seeing a Sprinter with one. It hooks onto the striker, then the door closes onto it. The door is locked, but a One Inch gap remains, allowing a huge amount of airflow and a degree of safety.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Needs a piece of rubber on the door side so it doesn't scratch, rather than that magnet, but it's a good enough idea for me to try. I've balanced myself on the little inch of steel so many times I'm surprised I've never slipped.

First thing I'll do with it though is forget about it and slam the door while it's in there. Maybe a bright orange powder coat option would have been smart.

Last edited:

dleeallen

Adventurer
Yea, I wish they showed a better picture of that magnet set up. I'm not sure it's going to protect like they say, but we'll see. I agree on the orange! A coat of paint will need to be the first thing done.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
After having been through several kickstarters*, I will offer one piece of advice:

The biggest "headache" campaigns are always the ones where they end up getting 1000%+ of their original goals.

These people were prepared to do a manageable production run of a few hundred units. The kickstarter would have let them get the run started without an out-of-pocket investment, and then they would do rewards fulfillment on their own. Instead, they're funded to 50x their original goal, which means 50x the management issues, 50x the warehousing of product, and 50x the packing and fulfillment. Instead of five cardboard boxes from China, they'll be getting a small shipping container. Since the design is done and the construction looks fairly straightforward, I'd expect that you'd get your stuff, but I'd bet folding money it's going to be delivered late. If you're not in a rush, go for it.

*Surviving veteran of the "Unspeakable Words" kickstarter that kicked off in May 2015 to re-print an already existing card game (playing cards and some cast plastic tokens). Here in 2018 some of the international backers are still awaiting delivery. And that's only one of several such disasters I've seen.

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
My favorite door striker accessory (I know.... theres more than one??) is the "door prop" I made after seeing a Sprinter with one. It hooks onto the striker, then the door closes onto it. The door is locked, but a One Inch gap remains, allowing a huge amount of airflow and a degree of safety.
I use mine a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78