Dory's Companion

Trail_Creeper

I recently picked up an old 1942 M100 to build and pull behind my Wrangler Unlimited. I'm currently in the process of stripping everything down because it is in some dyer need of some work. Would anyone know where to point me towards finding out more about this trailer? (i.e. Who made it Willys, etc)

Edit: I had planned on putting some pictures up, but for now everyone will have to just imagine what a '42 M100 looks like after being left out in the Alaskan weather full of leaves, and old engine block, and a bunch of other crap since '93.

Buckshot62

Observer
If it is a 1942 model it should be a bantam, I believe. I have a 1952 model m100 and saved some info on it. Give me a few minutes and I will see if I can find it.

Trail_Creeper

So I was off by a few years. It's a '52 and these are the only data plates I can find on it.

596D975F-7C69-4110-96DE-5FF3B7537FE8_zpsumc6p2ly.jpg

9A01B963-673D-4564-90D7-AEB2ABE09EB3_zps9o3ym1ov.jpg

Last edited:

Buckshot62

Observer
Same manufacturer,month and year build date as mine !Do you have a title for it ? If so good for you,if not how hard they to get in Alaska ? Took 6 months and tracking down a guy who registered in sometime in the 90's for me to get a title.Keep us updated on the build.

Trail_Creeper

I wish I had a title for it. The guy I bought it from bought it from a guy the week prior. No clue as to who has the title, but I'm going to get with the DMV tomorrow and see what I have to do to get one.

Buckshot62

Observer
Good luck. Don't know the rules in Alaska. Here you used to be able to register a trailer and never have a title or register a trailer and never know who has the title ! Never heard that before.Get the title straightened out before fixing the trailer. Mine was almost done when the thought hit me " What if the original title holder says it is still his when you find it ?". Keep posting updates on here so we can follow.

Trail_Creeper

Guess I lucked out pretty good today. Spoke with a lady at the DMV this morning and showed her the pictures of the original data plates on the trailer. She asked if I could bring it in. So I shot back to the house grabbed the jeep and trailer, so now 10-15 mins for her inspection and $15 later I have a title in hand for a 1952 Dunbar Kapple Utility trailer.

Trail_Creeper

My plan is to restore it as much as possible. Then add a roof top tent, pullout storage shelving, and match the wheels/tires to my JK. My wife also suggested that I paint it orange and call "Marlin" or "Nemo" since she named the Wrangler "Dory"

Trail_Creeper

Pulled the tub off tonight. I will start stripping the frame tomorrow, hopefully. Once the frame is stripped I'm going to start boxing it all in for some extra strength.

348B938E-2E04-464B-98C1-DC475C55901A_zpsepdwna3s.jpg

E7172335-6612-4B47-B407-547BBE9E01A5_zpshfqivmif.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Since you already own a Jeep you should be used to a constant throwing of money at a vehicle with endless mods on your list!

Now just multiply that by 2 and you have a trailer budget. LOL

Still not finished with my Jeep or trailer. Mine is a CJ and an M416 but same pit!

Keep us updated on your progress and congrats on the great find.

Trail_Creeper

I've always been into money pits. Had a few project cars, couple jeeps, ATVs/dirt bikes, you know plus the wife, the kids.... and now this trailer. Haha

I have some solid plans for it. Just need to keep finding the time to work on it.

Trail_Creeper

57E548A4-6CA3-412C-874D-47169A727116_zpsou8v00ll.jpg

Finally got to flipping the trailer over. Then pulled the shackle mounts. Next step is to cut out and replace all the cross members. Then I can start the rebuild process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger