Dosko Campmate Kitchen Organizer Tips / Tricks (not Buy / Sell) thread

tacuba

Hi everyone,
I recently got a Dosko Campmate kitchen organizer, and wanted to find tips and tricks and see how other people are using them, but it seems like all of the treads on Expo about campmates are people looking to buy/sell them. So, I figured I would start my own thread.

I haven't had mine for very long, but one thing that I discovered that works really well: I bought some 8-qt Sterilite dishpans (like these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-8-Qt-Dishpan-White/45942067), and they are almost perfectly sized for the left-side opening. I bought three: two for using to wash dishes, and a third to keep in the left side compartment to act as basically a sliding drawer to improve access to that cubby's contents. Here's what the dishpan looks like:

502e5704-3132-4609-8f91-21a27fda2319_1.4ef346c97496479fea8f155cd0defc21.jpeg

When I get home tonight I will take a picture of using that bucket as a drawer, it really works great!

Any other tips on using the Campmate?

p.s.: Please try to refrain from posting to ask if anyone has one to sell. There are other places for that!

tarditi

Explorer
A few notes from mine...

1) It's great - I've considered building a custom patrol box a few times or getting built-in cabinet for either my trailer or cargo space in the JKUR (like an AT Overland setup) and always come back to how the Dosko is portable and contains everything I need

2) Measure the top platform for the right sized stove - I had a Camp Chef Everest (big primus) and it won't fit - I had to source a less fancy coleman 2 burner to fit, but now I have a spare stove for other stuff. I put a griddle and cutting board underneath the stove during storage/transit, too.

3) I use the 3-bin wash system and grabbed a few like mentioned in the top post. Inside, I have a GSI large pinnacle base camper cook system and it packs down small and has everything I need for cookware for a family of 4 plus a few guests.

4) The Dosko metal bowls, plates, and flatware are heavy and sit separately in a box in the basement. Instead, I have a set of GSI Infinity Deluxe tableware and Coleman polycarbonate knife, fork, spoon set - lighter and stores very well.

5) Camping tricks - got a multi-spice shaker to conserve space, small bottle of bleach for sanitizing, don't forget a can opener!

Dosko compared to wooden patrol box (dosko was about 1/3 weight empty)
IMG_20140416_172834_203.jpg

Before I got the GSI sets... a jumble of stuff that didn't nest or store well
IMG_20140606_121406_983.jpg

After I got the GSI sets... things fit nicely. Happy camper!
20150731_185811.jpg

Dosko in it's natural habitat... :)
20160624_171402.jpg

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Hmmm, maybe I should dig my Campmate out and give it another look. It just seemed like overkill for one person.

HVan

Glad to add to the thread and learn new tips and tricks on what to store inside the Campmate specifically.

Partial Measurements of the Campmate:

Top Platform: 23”w
Left Cubby: 10.5”w x 13.5”d
Middle Cubby: 7.5”w x 13.5”d x 5.0”h

Here are some pros/ cons of notable items I keep in my box. I’m still testing things out.

Area lighting: One item I’ll be testing next month is a tall collapsible lantern pole to hang a small light. I’m pretty sure I’ll clamp it to the picnic table to illuminate the entire picnic table and cooking area, but maybe it’ll work clamped to the Campmate. I’ll share more later.

Before drawers:

9027D0A1-238F-4291-B2C8-67D09D54EE6D.jpeg

After drawers:

EE1889A3-EB2A-4762-9FE0-276D4AA227C8.jpeg

My stove: Eureka! Ignite Plus, $144.95/ $115.96 with coupon

Pros: It maximizes the space provided by the top platform. It has a carrying handle and screw-on rubber feet for adjusting its height and leveling it on uneven picnic tables.

Cons: This stove is exactly 23” wide (long) and is 12lbs. It won’t fit under the Campmate lid so I got a separate carrying bag.

Stove carrying bag: Bass Pro Padded Propane Carrying Case, $19.99

Pros: This bag holds the stove in the main compartment, the fuel connector in an zipped exterior pouch, and two 1lb propane canisters in cinched exterior mesh pouches. Carrying my stove separately definitely makes the Campmate lighter. I also like how it keeps the propane out of an enclosed container.

Cons: There’s still some empty space in the main compartment of the bag.

Basket drawers: Daiso, $1.50 each

Pros: These baskets match the color of the other drawers and fit the left and middle cubbies well enough. They are lightweight and have handles on one side to pull them out of the cubbies.

Cons: They’re not as sturdy or multipurpose as the 8qt Sterilite dishpans tacuba shared (my Walmarts are sold out). They’re not the same length, either. The middle drawer is shorter. They work as drawers just fine with their little handles as long as I hold the bottom of the baskets when I pull them out.

Blue and white insulated mugs (returned) GSI Glacier Doppio Cups, $11.95/ $7.73 sale

Pros: The blue and white GSI mugs are insulated, come with sipping lids, and fit the left door of the Campmate (see photo with stove).

Cons: They are too tiny to be used for much more than small (espresso) coffee. I returned these.

Green and grey insulated mugs/ beer cozy: Hydro Flask Beer Coolers, $24.95/ $14.93 sale

Pros: The green and grey Hydro Flask Beer Coolers are insulated beer/ beverage cozies that I also use as coffee mugs (see photo with basket drawers). They have silicone rims used to secure a standard beer or soda can inside the cozy that can be moved to the bottom of the cozy as a no-slip boot. I bought separate Hydro Flask Wine Tumbler Lids ($7.50) for the cozies to keep them covered but sip-able when they’re used as coffee mugs. They maximize the height of the middle cubby since they’re about the same height as the basket when they’re inside it.

Cons: They don’t fit in the Campmate doors. They don’t fit perfectly side-by-side in the middle basket (they make the basket bulge a little).

Thanks

9027D0A1-238F-4291-B2C8-67D09D54EE6D.jpeg90B402BB-16BF-44C1-9BFC-5EBD63A49D9C.jpeg61F8DBAD-7F59-487B-911A-4C92DE4C8DE1.jpeg3B187A75-0C36-4041-A9F2-88413D320629.jpeg0C6C85A2-D0D1-41B9-B80C-057F198FBB07.jpegB7EFF906-66F7-4A5A-9382-FAB51BB9635B.jpegDB77D48E-905D-488E-B010-8C68D6A1292F.jpeg

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Still using mine, haven't seen anything better... about the only mod I have done is to drill holes in the carry handles for rope handles, makes it much easier to carry.

I see that they are selling for $300+ on eBay...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998